    brochure, printed on a traditional 4 color press. Is digital resolution an
    issue here, or will the printing stage be the limiting factor with regard to
    detail?

    Neale, Jul 17, 2003

  2. Neale

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 07:09:39 +0100, "Neale"
    <> wrote:

    >I am planning some still life studio shots which will be reproduced in a
    >brochure, printed on a traditional 4 color press. Is digital resolution an
    >issue here, or will the printing stage be the limiting factor with regard to
    >detail?

    Ask the printer or service provider how best to prepare the
    image. Is this a digicam image, or from a film scan? Or is
    it a print made by purely "analog" means?

    In the latter case there's no real problem, unless there will
    be significant magnification between your original and the
    print size.

    If your original is a digital capture or film scan, you need
    to consider the printed size, the line screen that will be
    used for printing, and the size of your original.

    But again -- the best bet is to discuss all this with the
    printer or the service provider that's putting together
    your brochure.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Jul 17, 2003

  3. Neale

    Paul Worden Guest

    You need 250-300 ppi at the image size for publication. Ask the printer what
    format - TIFF is common.

    If you supply a print, I advise double the size of the finished art and
    slightly less contrasty than for a display print.

    Paul W

    Paul Worden, Jul 17, 2003