    I'm also getting "Thunking" errors.

    Any ideas apreciated.

    Jim

    Jim Helfer, Apr 21, 2008

  2. Deare Jim:

    For what it's worth, I've seen similar behavior on my small LAN. I
    recently replaced a Windows 2000 machine with my "old" XP-64 machine and
    bought a new XP-64 machine to serve as my main development machine.
    My LAN is peer-to-peer with only 4-5 machines. My "old" XP-64 machine
    now owns a Brother printer.

    Delays initiating print jobs can be 30 seconds or longer, and sometimes,
    print jobs just disappear. On the other hand, sometimes printing a
    document from MS Word is nearly instantaneous. The whole setup is very
    undependable.

    Apart from this recent behavior, my experience with XP-64 has been
    excellent over the past two years.

    I hope someone has answers.

    Regards,
    Jim Henriksen

    Jim Henriksen, Apr 22, 2008

  3. the 64bit system uses a binary called splwow64.exe to thunk (who would
    have ) the data between the 32 bit applications and the 64 bit spooler

    Some custom printer properties may be unavailable in a 64-bit version of
    Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902066/en-us

    You cannot use the RUNAS command to print from a 32-bit program in different
    user accounts in a single session on a computer that is running a 64-bit
    version of Microsoft Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923357/en-us

    if the splwow64 process is terminating, then you will not be able to print
    until it is restarted.

    Do you experience the delay when printing from 64bit applications (notepad,
    IE).

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Apr 22, 2008
  4. Dear Alan:

    I tried several tests at the office this afternoon. Two attempts to
    print from WordPad took about 20 seconds each. A third attempt failed
    with a message along the lines of "unable to start print job." When I
    quiickly retried, the printer responded immediately. Attempts to print
    from Word were handled promptly.

    Since WordPad is in the Program Files directory, not Program Files
    (x86), am I correct in assuming that it's a 64-bit application?
    Obviously Word is not.

    Finally, let me restate that my printer responsiveness issues began when
    I replaced the Windows 2000 machine that used to own the printer with
    an XP-64 machine. The problem is an XP-64 to XP-64 problem.

    Regards,
    Jim

    Jim Henriksen, Apr 24, 2008