    commercially ?

    --
    Stylewriter

    Stylewriter, Nov 18, 2003

  2. Stylewriter

    Ripley7173 Guest

    >What about later when I have downloaded the images to my PC ? How do
    >I go about getting a selected group of say ten images printed
    >commercially ?

    You can make a CD (if you have a burner) or just send the images back to your
    flash card. (or the removable drive as I recall it's called) Just right click,
    go to 'send to' and pick where you want it to go.

    Ripley7173, Nov 18, 2003

  3. Stylewriter

    mark herring Guest

    Any number of services are available where you can upload files, and then
    get them in the mail (or pick up)
    Ofoto
    Walmart
    Ritz
    Target

    adn many more

    --
    ******************
    Mark Herring

    *

    mark herring, Nov 18, 2003
  4. Stylewriter

    dslr Guest

    Stylewriter wrote:

    > I'm new to digital photography so please excuse the dumb question.
    >
    > I know that if I bring a compact flash card into a photo shop I can
    > get images printed by putting the card into one of their printing
    > machines....
    >
    > What about later when I have downloaded the images to my PC ? How do
    > I go about getting a selected group of say ten images printed
    > commercially ?

    2 options really for photo shops; either use a card reader and put them
    back onto a CF card or burn them to a CD.

    Alternatively there are several online processors who can take your
    images uploaded, either by web browser (or ftp) or via their own
    software, which will be downloadable from their website.

    --
    regards,
    dslr

    dslr, Nov 18, 2003
  5. Stylewriter

    leo Guest

    > I'm new to digital photography so please excuse the dumb question.
    >
    > I know that if I bring a compact flash card into a photo shop I can
    > get images printed by putting the card into one of their printing
    > machines....
    >
    > What about later when I have downloaded the images to my PC ? How do
    > I go about getting a selected group of say ten images printed
    > commercially ?
    >

    > --
    > Stylewriter

    Just copy them to the compact flash card. And as a matter of fact, you
    should edit your photos before sending out for printing - checking the
    aspect ratio is correct for the dimension you're printing and crop it
    yourself, otherwise, you might have a surprise - like having a head chopped.

    leo, Nov 19, 2003
  6. Stylewriter

    Stylewriter Guest

    wrote.::. >>
    > Just copy them to the compact flash card. And as a matter of fact, you
    > should edit your photos before sending out for printing - checking the
    > aspect ratio is correct for the dimension you're printing and crop it
    > yourself, otherwise, you might have a surprise - like having a head chopped.

    Thanks to ALL of you who replied...

    I had no idea I could actually WRITE back to a compact flash card :)

    So I need to get a Compact Flash Card Reader/Writer then.... I
    assume, and this takes care of the issue ? (noting the other options
    in terms of the fact that some printers take CD's or online etc.)

    --
    Stylewriter

    Stylewriter, Nov 19, 2003
  7. Stylewriter

    Ben Micklem Guest

    in article , Stylewriter
    at wrote on 19/11/03 9:20 am:

    > So I need to get a Compact Flash Card Reader/Writer then.... I
    > assume, and this takes care of the issue ?

    No, you don't need a separate card reader if you plug your camera in via
    USB/Serial/FireWire. Just drag the files back onto the camera. If you've
    done any editing, your camera probably won't be able to read/view them, but
    this is normal.

    Ben

    Ben Micklem, Nov 19, 2003
  8. Stylewriter

    Stylewriter Guest

    wrote.::. >>
    > No, you don't need a separate card reader if you plug your camera in via
    > USB/Serial/FireWire. Just drag the files back onto the camera. If you've
    > done any editing, your camera probably won't be able to read/view them, but
    > this is normal.

    Interesting :)

    Does that same principle apply to CF reader/writers ? no edited
    images ?

    --
    Stylewriter

    Stylewriter, Nov 19, 2003
  9. Stylewriter

    Ben Micklem Guest

    in article , Stylewriter
    at wrote on 19/11/03 9:55 am:

    > wrote.::. >>
    >> No, you don't need a separate card reader if you plug your camera in via
    >> USB/Serial/FireWire. Just drag the files back onto the camera. If you've
    >> done any editing, your camera probably won't be able to read/view them, but
    >> this is normal.
    >>

    > Interesting :)
    >
    > Does that same principle apply to CF reader/writers ? no edited
    > images ?

    Most CF card readers don't have an LCD to view the images on.

    I meant that you cannot see the edited files on the camera- when it is
    mounted as a volume on a computer, you will see all the files on the card
    (even if they are text/other data files which you have put there).

    Ben Micklem, Nov 19, 2003
  10. Stylewriter

    Stylewriter Guest

    wrote.::. >>
    > in article , Stylewriter
    > at wrote on 19/11/03 9:55 am:
    >
    > > wrote.::. >>
    > >> No, you don't need a separate card reader if you plug your camera in via
    > >> USB/Serial/FireWire. Just drag the files back onto the camera. If you've
    > >> done any editing, your camera probably won't be able to read/view them, but
    > >> this is normal.
    > >>

    > > Interesting :)
    > >
    > > Does that same principle apply to CF reader/writers ? no edited
    > > images ?

    > Most CF card readers don't have an LCD to view the images on.
    >
    > I meant that you cannot see the edited files on the camera- when it is
    > mounted as a volume on a computer, you will see all the files on the card
    > (even if they are text/other data files which you have put there).

    Ah ! You had me worried there :)

    Sounds like I'll be ok then...

    Thanks again.

    --
    Stylewriter

    Stylewriter, Nov 19, 2003
  11. Stylewriter

    David Clark Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:20:37 GMT, Stylewriter <>
    wrote:

    > wrote.::. >>
    >> Just copy them to the compact flash card. And as a matter of fact, you
    >> should edit your photos before sending out for printing - checking the
    >> aspect ratio is correct for the dimension you're printing and crop it
    >> yourself, otherwise, you might have a surprise - like having a head chopped.
    >>

    >Thanks to ALL of you who replied...
    >
    >I had no idea I could actually WRITE back to a compact flash card :)
    >
    >So I need to get a Compact Flash Card Reader/Writer then.... I
    >assume, and this takes care of the issue ? (noting the other options
    >in terms of the fact that some printers take CD's or online etc.)

    Once you have a card reader, you won't need to use your camera to
    download images.

    Saves time, etc. in not having to charge camera batteries.

    It's also possible that card readers are quicker to download?

    Burning to a CD will also work with high street stores, but it takes
    longer than writing back to a memory card.

    As for where to buy your card reader / writer I used 7dayshop.com &
    also a Lidl store, but I'm aware that some people don't approve of
    7dayshop...

    As for editing your pix to the size that you intend to print, IMHO a
    VERY good idea!

    David C.

    David Clark, Nov 19, 2003
  12. Stylewriter

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Many cameras will allow you to upload an image back to the memory card.
    I use a card reader with my PC, and the card appears as a removable
    hard drive. Use Windows Explorer to drop and drag images you want from
    your C: drive back to a fresh memory card, take it to processor.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Nov 19, 2003
  13. Stylewriter

    dooey Guest

    > wrote.::. >>
    > > Just copy them to the compact flash card. And as a matter of fact, you
    > > should edit your photos before sending out for printing - checking the
    > > aspect ratio is correct for the dimension you're printing and crop it
    > > yourself, otherwise, you might have a surprise - like having a head

    chopped.

    > Thanks to ALL of you who replied...
    >
    > I had no idea I could actually WRITE back to a compact flash card :)
    >
    > So I need to get a Compact Flash Card Reader/Writer then.... I
    > assume, and this takes care of the issue ? (noting the other options
    > in terms of the fact that some printers take CD's or online etc.)
    >
    > --
    > Stylewriter

    A money saving tip is to only save the images you want printed back onto the
    card. This enables you to select a complete set of prints which is a cheaper
    option at most stores.

    For example at Asda Walmart, choosing 6x4 prints...

    Choose the reprint option and select your 10 favourite images will cost you
    32p x 10 prints = £3.20

    Choose the set of prints option and let the terminal take only the 10 images
    you re-saved to your card will cost 15p x 10 prints = £1.50

    --
    Dooey.

    dooey, Nov 19, 2003
  14. Stylewriter

    Stylewriter Guest

    wrote.::. >>
    > For example at Asda Walmart, choosing 6x4 prints...
    >
    > Choose the reprint option and select your 10 favourite images will cost you
    > 32p x 10 prints = £3.20
    >
    > Choose the set of prints option and let the terminal take only the 10 images
    > you re-saved to your card will cost 15p x 10 prints = £1.50

    Interesting !!

    MANY thanks for that.

    Is Usenet the best kept secret of the internet or WHAT !!!

    --
    Stylewriter

    Stylewriter, Nov 19, 2003