    i am using a nikon d70 on max file size and compression in jpg mode.i want to print my pics at 8x6 inches.when i set this size
    without aspect ratio the pics are distorted.but when i click on aspect ratio it then wants to print the pics bigger than my required
    size ie 8x6.any tips/advice as to were im going wrong? many thanks...rgds to all from TBM...

    tbm, Jul 13, 2005

  2. tbm

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:18:05 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "tbm"
    <> wrote:

    >hi group,
    >i am using a nikon d70 on max file size and compression in jpg mode.i want to print my pics at 8x6 inches.when i set this size
    >without aspect ratio the pics are distorted.but when i click on aspect ratio it then wants to print the pics bigger than my required
    >size ie 8x6.any tips/advice as to were im going wrong? many thanks...rgds to all from TBM...

    I don't print from IV, but you should be aware your image aspect ratio is
    3008/2000 = 1.504 vs your desired output size of 8/6 = 1.333. You either
    need to crop it or pad the image.

    I use Qimage and it can automatically fit the image with or without
    cropping as needed to any specified output size. It also can upsample to
    the optimized ppi desired by you printer driver. Give the demo a try.
    http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Jul 13, 2005

  3. tbm

    Alan Meyer Guest

    tbm wrote:
    > hi group,
    > i am using a nikon d70 on max file size and compression in jpg mode.i want to print my pics at 8x6 inches.when i set this size
    > without aspect ratio the pics are distorted.but when i click on aspect ratio it then wants to print the pics bigger than my required
    > size ie 8x6.any tips/advice as to were im going wrong? many thanks...rgds to all from TBM...

    I haven't found a good way to do this in Irfanview. I'll be
    interested to hear if there is a way.

    What we'd like in this case is an option in Irfanview that would
    fit the image to 8x6, preserving the exact aspect ratio, and
    cropping from either end of the image (i.e., top and bottom or
    left and right) as needed to produce the least total cropping
    of the image.

    Irfan, are you reading this? Lots of folks would love it if your
    software could do that.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Jul 13, 2005
  4. tbm

    BillU Guest

    Alan Meyer wrote:
    > tbm wrote:
    >
    >>hi group,
    >>i am using a nikon d70 on max file size and compression in jpg mode.i want to print my pics at 8x6 inches.when i set this size
    >>without aspect ratio the pics are distorted.but when i click on aspect ratio it then wants to print the pics bigger than my required
    >>size ie 8x6.any tips/advice as to were im going wrong? many thanks...rgds to all from TBM...

    > I haven't found a good way to do this in Irfanview. I'll be
    > interested to hear if there is a way.
    >
    > What we'd like in this case is an option in Irfanview that would
    > fit the image to 8x6, preserving the exact aspect ratio, and
    > cropping from either end of the image (i.e., top and bottom or
    > left and right) as needed to produce the least total cropping
    > of the image.
    >
    > Irfan, are you reading this? Lots of folks would love it if your
    > software could do that.
    >
    > Alan

    In IV press 'Shift C' - brings up a custom crop menu :) should do the
    trick, even if you have to calculate what you want using pixel counts.

    This dialog also can be reached via the 'Edit' menu

    BillU, Jul 13, 2005
  5. tbm

    jean Guest

    "Alan Meyer" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > tbm wrote:
    > > hi group,
    > > i am using a nikon d70 on max file size and compression in jpg mode.i

    want to print my pics at 8x6 inches.when i set this size
    > > without aspect ratio the pics are distorted.but when i click on aspect

    ratio it then wants to print the pics bigger than my required
    > > size ie 8x6.any tips/advice as to were im going wrong? many

    thanks...rgds to all from TBM...

    > I haven't found a good way to do this in Irfanview. I'll be
    > interested to hear if there is a way.
    >
    > What we'd like in this case is an option in Irfanview that would
    > fit the image to 8x6, preserving the exact aspect ratio, and
    > cropping from either end of the image (i.e., top and bottom or
    > left and right) as needed to produce the least total cropping
    > of the image.
    >
    > Irfan, are you reading this? Lots of folks would love it if your
    > software could do that.

    Drop him a line, his adress is right on the info menu I
    usually crop my picture to the right aspect ratio if it is not exactly
    correct, then print it.

    Jean

    jean, Jul 13, 2005
  6. tbm

    ASAAR Guest

    On 12 Jul 2005 17:55:23 -0700, Alan Meyer wrote:

    > I haven't found a good way to do this in Irfanview. I'll be
    > interested to hear if there is a way.
    >
    > What we'd like in this case is an option in Irfanview that would
    > fit the image to 8x6, preserving the exact aspect ratio, and
    > cropping from either end of the image (i.e., top and bottom or
    > left and right) as needed to produce the least total cropping
    > of the image.
    >
    > Irfan, are you reading this? Lots of folks would love it if your
    > software could do that.

    I don't know if this qualifies as a good way, but while creating a
    "crop" rectangle, IrfanView shows the dimensions in pixels
    dynamically on the top header bar. You just need to get it
    relatively close to some multiple of 8x6, such as 1600x1200,
    2800x2100, etc. If it's slightly off, such as 2813x2092, you can
    use the mouse to quickly adjust the borders to make the sizes a
    perfect multiple of 8x6, as well as reposition the cropped area.
    Then crop it, and "Save As" with a new filename. It's not an
    automatic operation that could easily be batched (but then it
    wouldn't know where to crop each picture anyway), but it shouldn't
    more than 10 to 30 seconds to do, per image, unless your computer is
    very memory challenged. When I do this, I sometimes use a
    calculator or a BASIC program in another window that I can quickly
    switch to, that aids in deciding what crop dimensions (in pixels)
    would be desirable.

    ASAAR, Jul 13, 2005
  7. tbm

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 01:43:21 GMT, BillU wrote:

    > In IV press 'Shift C' - brings up a custom crop menu :) should do the
    > trick, even if you have to calculate what you want using pixel counts.
    >
    > This dialog also can be reached via the 'Edit' menu

    ??? This does nothing, but I'm using v 3.80, and this probably
    isn't a very recent version. Nor does there appear to be any dialog
    available for cropping. The Edit menu does have a "Crop selection"
    option (keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Y), but it immediately crops the
    selected area - and is grayed out unless a region of the image has
    been selected. What version of IrfanView are you using?

    ASAAR, Jul 13, 2005
  8. tbm

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Alan Meyer wrote:
    > tbm wrote:
    >> hi group,
    >> i am using a nikon d70 on max file size and compression in jpg mode.i want to print my pics at 8x6 inches.when i set this size
    >> without aspect ratio the pics are distorted.but when i click on aspect ratio it then wants to print the pics bigger than my required
    >> size ie 8x6.any tips/advice as to were im going wrong? many thanks...rgds to all from TBM...

    > I haven't found a good way to do this in Irfanview. I'll be
    > interested to hear if there is a way.
    >
    > What we'd like in this case is an option in Irfanview that would
    > fit the image to 8x6, preserving the exact aspect ratio, and
    > cropping from either end of the image (i.e., top and bottom or
    > left and right) as needed to produce the least total cropping
    > of the image.
    >
    > Irfan, are you reading this? Lots of folks would love it if your
    > software could do that.
    >
    > Alan

    He is quite accessible, just email him with the suggestion.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jul 13, 2005
  9. tbm

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 01:43:21 GMT, BillU wrote:
    >
    >> In IV press 'Shift C' - brings up a custom crop menu :) should do the
    >> trick, even if you have to calculate what you want using pixel counts.
    >>
    >> This dialog also can be reached via the 'Edit' menu

    > ??? This does nothing, but I'm using v 3.80, and this probably
    > isn't a very recent version. Nor does there appear to be any dialog
    > available for cropping. The Edit menu does have a "Crop selection"
    > option (keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Y), but it immediately crops the
    > selected area - and is grayed out unless a region of the image has
    > been selected. What version of IrfanView are you using?

    Current version is 3.97.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jul 13, 2005
  10. tbm

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:38:52 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Current version is 3.97.

    And, and . . . it has the crop dialog?

    ASAAR, Jul 13, 2005
  11. tbm

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 05:26:46 -0400, in rec.photo.digital ASAAR
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:38:52 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Current version is 3.97.

    > And, and . . . it has the crop dialog?

    V3.95 does, as I just checked.
    ----------

    Ed Ruf, Jul 13, 2005
  12. tbm

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 05:37:41 -0400, Ed Ruf wrote:

    >> And, and . . . it has the crop dialog?

    > V3.95 does, as I just checked.

    Thanks Ed. I've got a fresh batch of prints to make so it'll be
    nice if the new version simplifies the task.

    ASAAR, Jul 13, 2005
  13. tbm

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:38:52 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Current version is 3.97.

    > And, and . . . it has the crop dialog?

    Don't know. Never tried it. When I crop, it is never for printing, so
    I never tried for a dialog.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jul 13, 2005
  14. tbm

    Quatermass Guest

    > haven't found a good way to do this in Irfanview. I'll be
    > interested to hear if there is a way.

    Very easy - Change the DPI (dots per inch) of the image.

    Use the option in IrfanView of Print size: Original size (from image
    DPI)

    Then use the option Image -> Information (Press I)
    Enter a DPI of say 200 in both Resolution fields and click on SET.
    print size.

    The bigger the DPI, the smaller the image will print out.

    Adjust the value to suit.

    Most jpegs are created with a dpi of 72 or 96 dpi, far too small for
    printing out onto paper.

    P.S.
    Did you know that if you set the DPI of a image to 720dpi (and then do
    a scale up to get it to the print size you want). Then print out onto
    an Epson printer that you get much better fine detail on the printout?
    It's to do with working the image at the same scale as the internal
    scaling algorithms as the Epson.

    For Canon printers you use 600dpi.

    Quatermass, Jul 13, 2005