    Can anyone recommend an on line printing service for say batches of 250
    photos at a time?
    Thank you.
    Stewart, Apr 7, 2013

  2. On 4/7/2013 4:55 PM, Stewart wrote:
    > My daughter has lots of photos on her apple computer and now wants to
    > print them 6 x 4 size. She has a laser printer that will not print
    > colour photos.
    > She is thinking of buying an inkjet printer just for this job but I have
    > suggested that she tries commercial printing companies first.
    > Jessops used to be best but I do not know if they are back in that type
    > of business yet or not. She can use one of the superstores such as
    > Tesco or Asda but I do not how how good they are.
    > Can anyone recommend an on line printing service for say batches of 250
    > photos at a time?
    > Thank you.

    Kodak seems to have franchised drug stores to do the color printing and
    it is done quite well by our local CVS store for 6x4 and even 8x10.

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
    James Silverton, Apr 7, 2013

  3. Stewart

    Alex Monro Guest

    Stewart wrote:

    > My daughter has lots of photos on her apple computer and now wants to
    > print
    > them 6 x 4 size. She has a laser printer that will not print colour
    > photos. She is thinking of buying an inkjet printer just for this job

    but
    > I have suggested that she tries commercial printing companies first.
    > Jessops used to be best but I do not know if they are back in that type

    of
    > business yet or not. She can use one of the superstores such as Tesco

    or
    > Asda but I do not how how good they are.
    > Can anyone recommend an on line printing service for say batches of 250
    > photos at a time?

    Since you talk about Jessops I'm guessing you're in the UK. You might
    want to have a look at www.photobox.co.uk. Upload to their server via
    web app, or for large numbers, you can use FTP. Price for 6x4" prints
    between 9p and 4p each, depending on quantity, plus postage. Delivery
    usually within a couple of days of order, sometimes next day if you
    order in the morning. I've been a satisfied customer for over 6 years
    now. I don't bother with printing at home - far too much hassle and
    expensive.
    Alex Monro, Apr 7, 2013
  4. Stewart

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <kjsmgq$roa$>,
    "Stewart" <> wrote:

    > My daughter has lots of photos on her apple computer and now wants to print
    > them 6 x 4 size. She has a laser printer that will not print colour photos.
    > She is thinking of buying an inkjet printer just for this job but I have
    > suggested that she tries commercial printing companies first.
    > Jessops used to be best but I do not know if they are back in that type of
    > business yet or not. She can use one of the superstores such as Tesco or
    > Asda but I do not how how good they are.
    > Can anyone recommend an on line printing service for say batches of 250
    > photos at a time?
    > Thank you.

    Just use iPhoto. It has a mail order printing service built into it. It
    doesn't get any easier than that.
    Shawn Hirn, Apr 8, 2013
  5. Stewart

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 07/04/2013 21:55, Stewart wrote:
    > My daughter has lots of photos on her apple computer and now wants to
    > print them 6 x 4 size. She has a laser printer that will not print
    > colour photos.
    > She is thinking of buying an inkjet printer just for this job but I have
    > suggested that she tries commercial printing companies first.

    You can't compete with a commercial print lab on quality, fade
    resistance or price if you want anything like 100+ prints. Inkjet ink is
    *very* expensive even though the printer itself is cheap.

    > Jessops used to be best but I do not know if they are back in that type
    > of business yet or not. She can use one of the superstores such as
    > Tesco or Asda but I do not how how good they are.
    > Can anyone recommend an on line printing service for say batches of 250
    > photos at a time?

    I'd take a look at Jessops in case they have put their relatively nice
    Fuji printers back on line in the reopened shops. I used to do print
    runs of 6x4 and 5x7 there since the >100 off rates were a give away. The
    price breakpoint may well have moved if they still do it at all.

    Be aware that if you have too many large images on a large modern memory
    stick you can crash their system (I speak from experience).

    Uploading to Vistaprint or similar service might be OK, but will involve
    some faffing about downsizing if you are not to wait forever while they
    upload. I have never used them for prints myself.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Apr 8, 2013
  6. Stewart

    Stewart Guest

    Thanks all; as a result of your comments my daughter has now decided that it
    will be a lot less bother (and cost) to get her photos printed commercially
    rather than buy an inkjet printer and do them herself.

    Stewart, Apr 8, 2013
  7. Stewart

    Dave Guest

    On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 21:55:59 +0100, Stewart wrote:

    > My daughter has lots of photos on her apple computer and now wants to
    > print them 6 x 4 size. She has a laser printer that will not print
    > colour photos.
    > She is thinking of buying an inkjet printer just for this job but I have
    > suggested that she tries commercial printing companies first.
    > Jessops used to be best but I do not know if they are back in that type
    > of business yet or not. She can use one of the superstores such as
    > Tesco or Asda but I do not how how good they are.
    > Can anyone recommend an on line printing service for say batches of 250
    > photos at a time?
    > Thank you.

    If york photo (www.yorkphoto.com) is available in UK, they are good and
    very cheap, for 250 prints, you will save quite a lot over CVS etc.
    Dave, Apr 8, 2013
  8. Stewart

    Mort Guest

    Stewart wrote:
    > My daughter has lots of photos on her apple computer and now wants to
    > print them 6 x 4 size. She has a laser printer that will not print
    > colour photos.
    > She is thinking of buying an inkjet printer just for this job but I have
    > suggested that she tries commercial printing companies first.
    > Jessops used to be best but I do not know if they are back in that type
    > of business yet or not. She can use one of the superstores such as
    > Tesco or Asda but I do not how how good they are.
    > Can anyone recommend an on line printing service for say batches of 250
    > photos at a time?
    > Thank you.

    Hi,

    It is a matter of priorities, and I do not suggest that my view must
    prevail. However, I look upon the image on the SD card as the raw
    material for a photograph, which I print using an inkjet photo printer.
    I use free PC software by Picasa, and do the following,as necessary:
    1) sharpen
    2) crop as needed
    3) color correct as needed
    4) adjust contrast as needed
    5) use fill light as needed
    6) rotate as needed, re. vertical vs. horizontal
    7) simple retouch as needed

    It actually takes me longer to type this message than it does to edit a
    photograph. Of course, one can say that in 4x6" format it makes little
    difference. However, it does, and when I go to 5x7" or 8x10", the
    editing becomes even more important.

    I suppose the answer is that it depends upon what one wants and expects
    from photographs.

    Regards,

    Mort Linder
    Mort, Apr 9, 2013
  9. Stewart

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 08/04/2013 21:08, Stewart wrote:
    > Thanks all; as a result of your comments my daughter has now decided
    > that it will be a lot less bother (and cost) to get her photos printed
    > commercially rather than buy an inkjet printer and do them herself.

    The only thing to watch out for if exact framing is important to her is
    that not all cameras are 3:2 ratio sensor so you may have to choose
    cropping if you want precise control of the final print. Also there is a
    guard band around the image that will not be printed of about 2%.

    There really is no contest for bulk printing small sizes.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Apr 9, 2013
  10. Stewart

    Stewart Guest

    Mort, I have the full Adobe Photoshop so can do virtually anything with my
    own photographs but my daughter does not have that; however her son in law
    does have Photoshop so I have told her that he can crop, adjust the photos
    etc for her.

    Stewart, Apr 9, 2013
  11. Stewart

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 09/04/2013 09:51, Stewart wrote:
    > Mort, I have the full Adobe Photoshop so can do virtually anything with
    > my own photographs but my daughter does not have that; however her son
    > in law does have Photoshop so I have told her that he can crop, adjust
    > the photos etc for her.

    I am sure he will be overjoyed at the large amount of Photoshop work you
    have just volunteered him for. She could get Elements or cheaper still
    PSPro x3 remaindered at Morgans and be self sufficient:

    http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/529/Software/

    Adobe Photoshop has a too steep learning curve for casual use.

    Or even cheaper Picasa which may be nearer what she needs.

    http://picasa.google.com/

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Apr 9, 2013
  12. Stewart

    Stewart Guest

    Martin, you are quite right. I find that Photoshop is complicated and has
    far more functions than I shall ever need. I think I use only about 5% of
    what it is capable of.
    I would have been far better buying elements or another simpler photo
    managing package for myself but have it now so just use what I need.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Stewart, Apr 9, 2013
  13. Stewart

    Mort Guest

    Martin Brown wrote:
    > On 09/04/2013 09:51, Stewart wrote:
    >> Mort, I have the full Adobe Photoshop so can do virtually anything with
    >> my own photographs but my daughter does not have that; however her son
    >> in law does have Photoshop so I have told her that he can crop, adjust
    >> the photos etc for her.

    > I am sure he will be overjoyed at the large amount of Photoshop work you
    > have just volunteered him for. She could get Elements or cheaper still
    > PSPro x3 remaindered at Morgans and be self sufficient:
    >
    > http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/529/Software/
    >
    > Adobe Photoshop has a too steep learning curve for casual use.
    >
    > Or even cheaper Picasa which may be nearer what she needs.

    Hi,

    That is exactly why I suggested Picasa in my previous post. It does for
    me what I need, without ten hours of classes first,and is free. I can
    also e-mail the edited images with Picasa. Someone can edit the images
    for your daughter, and then e-mail them to her, or perhaps burn them to
    a CD-R and snailmail it.

    A supreme advantage of Picasa is that it makes a copy of any picture on
    your hard drive. So, if you screw up in Picasa, you still have the
    original image on your hard drive.

    Good luck.

    Mort Linder

    Mort, Apr 10, 2013
  14. Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    > On 07/04/2013 21:55, Stewart wrote:

    >> My daughter has lots of photos on her apple computer and now wants to
    >> print them 6 x 4 size. She has a laser printer that will not print
    >> colour photos.
    >> She is thinking of buying an inkjet printer just for this job but I have
    >> suggested that she tries commercial printing companies first.

    > You can't compete with a commercial print lab on quality, fade
    > resistance or price if you want anything like 100+ prints.

    At least not on all 3 fronts at the same time (short of
    buying a print lab yourself).

    Printing yourself is good only if
    - you need the print faster than the turn around times from
    brick-and-motar shops or internet print services
    - you have special needs in paper that commercial services
    don't offer (double sided printing comes to mind) or are
    expensive commercially (say canvas)
    - you enjoy the process of making the prints yourself
    - you have a large format printer and print often in these
    sizes on fine art paper --- then you may come out ahead.

    > Inkjet ink is
    > *very* expensive even though the printer itself is cheap.

    Third party ink is much cheaper, but
    - you need to profile your printer with that ink and each used
    paper, if you want to be close in colour. Just because
    the colours are similar to the manufacturer's colours,
    they aren't identical ... and profiling isn't free.
    - you still need a quality ink if you want the ink not to
    fade really fast
    - you want to be sure you get the same ink when you buy more
    of it (else you can start over profiling once again) which
    means quality ink, which is more expensive
    - refilling (using special refillable cartridges, complete
    with hole and plug) is cheaper than buying cartridges (and
    you have wider choices in what ink you want), but you get
    inky fingers (use gloves!)
    - retrofit CISS systems are ... well, unless you print lots
    and lots, about every day, they're more trouble than they
    are worth.
    - not every printer does have replacement inks --- I don't
    know if pigment replacement inks are available widely, for
    example.

    In other words: If you don't need long term stability and
    accurate colours, third party ink is OK.
    If you need that and are willing to work for it, good third
    party ink is OK.
    If you want fire and forget, only use papers for which you
    can get generic ICCs for printer type and ink and paper and
    use the expensive manufacturers' ink.

    If you want to use other papers (or the highest accuracy)
    you need to profile anyway, so you need to decide which ink
    does give you the best combination of price and stability ...

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Apr 11, 2013
  15. Stewart

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 09:51:31 +0100, "Stewart"
    <> wrote:

    >Mort, I have the full Adobe Photoshop so can do virtually anything with my
    >own photographs but my daughter does not have that; however her son in law
    >does have Photoshop so I have told her that he can crop, adjust the photos
    >etc for her.
    >
    >"Mort" wrote in message news:51636e06$0$25625$...
    >
    >Stewart wrote:
    >> My daughter has lots of photos on her apple computer and now wants to
    >> print them 6 x 4 size. She has a laser printer that will not print
    >> colour photos.
    >> She is thinking of buying an inkjet printer just for this job but I have
    >> suggested that she tries commercial printing companies first.
    >> Jessops used to be best but I do not know if they are back in that type
    >> of business yet or not. She can use one of the superstores such as
    >> Tesco or Asda but I do not how how good they are.
    >> Can anyone recommend an on line printing service for say batches of 250
    >> photos at a time?
    >> Thank you.

    >Hi,
    >
    >It is a matter of priorities, and I do not suggest that my view must
    >prevail. However, I look upon the image on the SD card as the raw
    >material for a photograph, which I print using an inkjet photo printer.
    >I use free PC software by Picasa, and do the following,as necessary:
    >1) sharpen
    >2) crop as needed
    >3) color correct as needed
    >4) adjust contrast as needed
    >5) use fill light as needed
    >6) rotate as needed, re. vertical vs. horizontal
    >7) simple retouch as needed
    >
    >It actually takes me longer to type this message than it does to edit a
    >photograph. Of course, one can say that in 4x6" format it makes little
    >difference. However, it does, and when I go to 5x7" or 8x10", the
    >editing becomes even more important.
    >
    >I suppose the answer is that it depends upon what one wants and expects
    >from photographs.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Mort Linder

    My procedure is in the following sequence (PS5)
    1/ Load photo (5MB)
    2/ Crop an area 6:4.
    3/ Brighten, Auto then adjust.
    4/ Dodge dark faces.
    5/ Reduce /increase saturation.
    5a/ Text annotate: Clipboard for static data
    (Time,date,location) and then type in the rest.
    5b. Flatten layers.
    6/ Sharpen
    7/ Save at about 1MB.
    8/ Burn to CD & post to the guests.
    9/ Go to kiosk and have 6x4 prints made for the
    older folk.
    10/ Post these.

    With cropping, two prints possible from one.
    Peter Jason, Apr 20, 2013