    I do not have Windows computers at the time (one is not operational
    for months due to Windows Genuine Advantage), so I will not be able to
    act on suggestions such as "buy Photoshop".

    Ignoramus31174, Aug 29, 2007

  2. Ignoramus31174

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:41:09 -0500, Ignoramus31174 wrote:

    > So, I am getting a decent Epson photo printer that I mentioned
    > Earlier.
    >
    > My question is, what programs to use to print photos under linux. I
    > normally just use xv and soe custom scripts for photo editing.
    >
    > What I would like now is to be able to print albums, etc.
    >
    > I do not have Windows computers at the time (one is not operational
    > for months due to Windows Genuine Advantage), so I will not be able to
    > act on suggestions such as "buy Photoshop".

    The GIMP has printing capabilities. In the past, I've also used a word
    processor to arrange prints on a page.

    ray, Aug 29, 2007

  3. Ignoramus31174

    Dave Cohen Guest

    ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:41:09 -0500, Ignoramus31174 wrote:
    >
    >> So, I am getting a decent Epson photo printer that I mentioned
    >> Earlier.
    >>
    >> My question is, what programs to use to print photos under linux. I
    >> normally just use xv and soe custom scripts for photo editing.
    >>
    >> What I would like now is to be able to print albums, etc.
    >>
    >> I do not have Windows computers at the time (one is not operational
    >> for months due to Windows Genuine Advantage), so I will not be able to
    >> act on suggestions such as "buy Photoshop".

    > The GIMP has printing capabilities. In the past, I've also used a word
    > processor to arrange prints on a page.

    If you have the patience to learn it, The GIMP is quite capable.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Aug 29, 2007
  4. Ignoramus31174 <ignoramus31174@NOSPAM.31174.invalid> wrote:
    >So, I am getting a decent Epson photo printer that I mentioned
    >Earlier.

    I hope you ordered lots of paper and ink... ;-)

    >My question is, what programs to use to print photos under linux. I
    >normally just use xv and soe custom scripts for photo editing.

    I convert NEF files to other formats with /ufraw/. Once
    in awhile I use /dcraw/.

    I edit with GIMP. (I've just gotten /cinepaint/ running,
    and will probably use it once in awhile, but only for special
    things where it appears that 16 bit manipulation might be
    significant.)

    I tend to use /xv/ for viewing, though on occasion I set
    up a slide show with /gqview/ instead.

    I use the tools from ImageMagick (particularly /convert/)
    for scripts.

    I use /gv/ to preview a PostScript file before printing.

    I use CUPS as the print spooler, and the Gutenprint
    driver for an Epson R1800 printer. I have a different
    logical printer defined for each and every different
    paper/size/profile combination. Hence for one paper and
    size I might have two or three logical printers! I name
    them using a pattern so that I can at least come close
    to keeping track of what I'm doing. For example, I use
    one particular letter sized matte paper, and have
    defined ml_fast, ml_best and ml_bw printers, each with a
    different configuration.

    >What I would like now is to be able to print albums, etc.

    I'm not sure what that means.

    But let me walk you through one method of generating a
    print, and then suggest at least one way to improve it.

    Select a good image to work with. Use /ufraw/ to set
    exposure such that the whitest points that you want to
    retain detail in are just below maximum. Adjust color
    balance, black point, and maybe the gamma curve too, to
    get what you like. By default I want gamma set to 0.45
    and linearity set to 0.12, but that is just a starting
    point on most images. Save the image as a full sized PPM
    format.

    Edit the image with GIMP. So whatever you like to it.
    Save it as an XCF format with any layers and so on that
    you've used, because that is something you can re-edit.
    Then flatten the layers and save it as a PPM format (or
    just try to save it, and say yes to "export"). I tend
    to save these intermediate images with letters added
    to the original file name. Hence d2x_0000.nef gets saved
    as d2x_0000.ppm, but then there will be a d2x_0000a.xcf
    and a d2x_0000a.ppm. I might have several intermediate
    files: a, b , c and so on. (Buy a couple of *big* disk
    drives and lots of DVD's, as those things are 37 Mb per
    image for 8 bit PPM, and twice that for 16 bit formats!)

    When done, you can start with using /xv/ to generate a
    printable PostScript image. It has the advantage of
    being very easy. Display a PPM or JPEG format image,
    and click on the "save" button and then select
    PostScript as the output format. When you click on "OK"
    to save, it comes up with the reason for doing it this
    way: a simple way to size and center an image, and to
    select portrait or landscape mode. It's easy and it
    works well.

    Use /gv/ to preview the PostScript file. I have defined
    several functions in my ~/.bashrc file to provide
    pre-configured /gv/ previews for different sizes. For
    example, to preview a letter sized image in landscape
    mode,

    function gvll {
    gv -geometry 1082x810+10+10 -seascape \
    -media letter -scale 1 "$@"
    }

    While to view a 11x17 in portrait mode,

    function gvtp {
    gv -geometry 704x954+10+10 -portrait \
    -media 11x17 -scale -2 "$@"
    }

    (I don't remember if "11x17" size is one I added to
    /gv/, or not. It may be necessary to use "tabloid" and
    "ledger".)

    Then you have the problem of calibrating your monitor and
    your printer. You actually can calibrate the monitor
    and develop a profile for it, using /argyll/ software
    and XRITE Optix XR hardware.

    The printer is much more difficult because the hardware
    to calibrate it is too expensive to consider. Find a
    good greyscale or color chart to start with, and it
    won't be too bad. The tools that come with
    gutenprint-5.x.x will help you initially calibrate the
    printer heads, and there is an Epson tool to check ink
    status that is handy.

    But once you've done that, print a color chart that has
    a monochrome greyscale on it, and adjust the gamma,
    brightness, and density controls in the print driver to
    get the right results. Then, if you are brave you can
    try to adjust various colors more or less to suit your
    needs. The idea of course is to make it so that
    whatever it is you see on the screen, that is what you
    get on the print (good, bad or indifferent).

    There is one change that I've made to that. I use
    scripts that run /convert/ from ImageMagick to do a few
    things, including set size and borders and write a
    PostScript file, rather than use /xv/. I have one
    script that generates a border, and puts a copyright
    notice and date on the image. It is adjustable with
    command line options and can print it inside the image
    or in the border area, in any corner, in any size or
    color, and with half a dozen different font choices.

    That script does not adjust the size of the image
    though. Another script, which has command line options
    for several paper sizes, adjusts borders to center the
    image and write it out in PostScript for printing.

    Not that there are no hitches to all of that. It
    requires using the /espgs/ version (from the folks who
    make CUPS) of /ghostscript/ to generate an image for the
    Epson. I had fits getting 13x19 images to print, and
    eventually determined that no ghostcript later than a
    7.0 revision would do it. The newer 8.0 revisions crash
    every time.

    I then decided to do some work with 11x14 size paper...
    and that crashes in the same way, regardless of which
    ghostscript I'm using. I haven't had time to get back
    to that and figure out a work around. (One possibility
    is to tell the printer it is 13x19, and position the
    image in the right place and feed it 11x14 paper.)

    If you never get excited about large prints, it won't
    be a problem... But that's the reason I have an R1800,
    so it is annoying.

    >I do not have Windows computers at the time (one is not operational
    >for months due to Windows Genuine Advantage), so I will not be able to
    >act on suggestions such as "buy Photoshop".

    Your gain, their loss.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Aug 29, 2007
  5. Ignoramus31174 <ignoramus31174@NOSPAM.31174.invalid> writes:

    > So, I am getting a decent Epson photo printer that I mentioned
    > Earlier.
    >
    > My question is, what programs to use to print photos under linux. I
    > normally just use xv and soe custom scripts for photo editing.
    >
    > What I would like now is to be able to print albums, etc.
    >
    > I do not have Windows computers at the time (one is not operational
    > for months due to Windows Genuine Advantage), so I will not be able to
    > act on suggestions such as "buy Photoshop".

    I dunno, I use lpr to print photos. It works great on my HP printers. Though
    I do use some handwritten perl scripts (using the perl interface to
    ImageMagick) to resize/crop photos to the appropriate aspect ratio, add
    copyright notices, etc. I use GIMP for normal editing.

    Do make sure your Epson works with Linux. When I last looked at printers,
    there were some Epson models that weren't supported.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Aug 30, 2007
  6. On 29 Aug 2007 22:57:48 -0400, Michael Meissner <> wrote:
    > I dunno, I use lpr to print photos. It works great on my HP printers. Though
    > I do use some handwritten perl scripts (using the perl interface to
    > ImageMagick) to resize/crop photos to the appropriate aspect ratio, add
    > copyright notices, etc. I use GIMP for normal editing.
    >
    > Do make sure your Epson works with Linux. When I last looked at printers,
    > there were some Epson models that weren't supported.

    I use ImageMagick based scripts a lot as well. I was hoping that there
    is something IM based for making albums.

    Ignoramus31174, Aug 30, 2007
  7. On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:10:46 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson <> wrote:
    > I hope you ordered lots of paper and ink... ;-)

    Floyd, thanks a lot for your sage advise, I saved it. The only thing
    that I did today was unpack this printer.

    Ignoramus31174, Aug 30, 2007
  8. On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 13:36:24 -0600, ray wrote:

    > The GIMP has printing capabilities. In the past, I've also used a word
    > processor to arrange prints on a page.

    I use Scribus - it has to be easy as I can use it :)
    --
    Neil

    Carl Neil Ellwood, Aug 30, 2007