Printing photo books: Any experience with Viovio?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by madhobbit.geo@yahoo.com, Nov 13, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I'm considering getting some of my photos printed and bound as a book.
    I'm not planning on mass-producing or selling them; this would just be
    a nice way for me to keep and show my photos. I'm looking for some
    combination of good quality and inexpensive.

    Right now, I'm primarily looking at MyPublisher.com and Viovio.com.
    I've got the MyPublisher software installed, and am fairly pleased with
    the way the book I've mocked up looks (though I'm disappointed I can't
    control photo size and placement, apart from choosing among pre-defined
    layouts). However, Viovio is offering me a larger book for less money.

    This seems too good to be true, and I'm wondering if it is or not. Is
    there anyone here that's used Viovio's printing service, and has
    anything (good or bad) to say about it? Alternately, does anyone have
    any comments on other book printing services?

    Thanks,
    - Darryl

    , Nov 13, 2006

  2. Pat Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm considering getting some of my photos printed and bound as a book.
    > I'm not planning on mass-producing or selling them; this would just be
    > a nice way for me to keep and show my photos. I'm looking for some
    > combination of good quality and inexpensive.
    >
    > Right now, I'm primarily looking at MyPublisher.com and Viovio.com.
    > I've got the MyPublisher software installed, and am fairly pleased with
    > the way the book I've mocked up looks (though I'm disappointed I can't
    > control photo size and placement, apart from choosing among pre-defined
    > layouts). However, Viovio is offering me a larger book for less money.
    >
    > This seems too good to be true, and I'm wondering if it is or not. Is
    > there anyone here that's used Viovio's printing service, and has
    > anything (good or bad) to say about it? Alternately, does anyone have
    > any comments on other book printing services?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > - Darryl

    FWIW.
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec....fec8a02418d/c3dc0e8c8f646c6b#c3dc0e8c8f646c6b

    Pat, Nov 13, 2006

  3. JC Dill Guest

    On 12 Nov 2006 17:27:32 -0800, wrote:

    >I've got the MyPublisher software installed, and am fairly pleased with
    >the way the book I've mocked up looks (though I'm disappointed I can't
    >control photo size and placement, apart from choosing among pre-defined
    >layouts). However, Viovio is offering me a larger book for less money.
    >
    >This seems too good to be true, and I'm wondering if it is or not. Is
    >there anyone here that's used Viovio's printing service, and has
    >anything (good or bad) to say about it?

    I asked about Viovio a few weeks ago, and didn't get any replies from
    anyone who had used it.

    > Alternately, does anyone have
    >any comments on other book printing services?

    <http://www.slate.com/id/2143039/>

    If you give Viovio a try, please post a review to the newsgroup.

    jc

    ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA

    JC Dill, Nov 13, 2006
  4. Guest

    JC Dill wrote:

    > If you give Viovio a try, please post a review to the newsgroup.

    I won't be. I disliked their book making software enormously - it gives
    you virtually no creative control over the page layout. They also allow
    you to create a PDF and upload that, which should give you complete
    control, but:
    - I don't have a lot of experience with layout software. I could do it,
    but it would take forever
    - When I tried it, their system rejected my PDF with the error "A valid
    PDF file was not uploaded" (or something similarly vague). As far as I
    can tell, I met their specifications exactly, so I don't know what I
    could have done differently. Email to support has given me an autoreply
    but nothing further.

    Instead, I'm going with Blurb. Last night I put together the first
    draft of my book (currently sitting at 62 pages, though it'll grow a
    couple more). Their software, like MyPublisher's (my initial choice),
    simply allows you to pick a theme/style, and then pick from predefined
    layouts for each page. However, they have more layouts to choose from,
    and they give you a little more control over individual photos (still
    not a lot: if a box on the page is 4x5, it will remain 4x5 and there's
    nothing you can do about it, though your photo isn't required to fill
    the entire box).

    The price is higher than Viovio's, but I suspect the resulting product
    will be higher quality. I'll post a follow-up when I actually get the
    book.

    - Darryl

    , Nov 14, 2006