    can-not print from my laptop over the network. my laptop won`t or can`t find
    the printer.
    can anybody help

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2VtaW5p?=, Aug 14, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Z2VtaW5p?=

    Malke Guest

    gemini wrote:

    > I have just installed an HP PSC 1440 All in one printer on my desktop but
    > can-not print from my laptop over the network. my laptop won`t or can`t
    > find the printer.
    > can anybody help

    Have you set up your local area network? Can you share files as well as the
    printer? If the answer is "no" then you need to:

    1. Run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable
    File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will
    turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton
    2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area Network
    traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an IP range.
    Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would substitute your
    correct subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the Simple
    File Sharing enabled.

    Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means that
    anyone without a user account on the target system can use its resources.
    This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters in your
    situation.

    Then create shares as desired, including the printer. XP Home does not
    permit sharing of users' home directories (My Documents) or Program Files,
    but you can share folders inside those directories. A better choice is to
    simply use the Shared Documents folder.

    2. Many all-in-ones (and other HP printers) require you to use the install
    cd on all network machines that are going to use the printer. So if you
    haven't done this, you need to after you've set up the local area network.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers