    want to make 13"x 19" prints and I WANT the colors to bleed a little, but I am
    concerned with clogging..

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Wwso149874, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Wwso149874

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: (Wwso149874)

    >Is anybody using a heavy uncoated watercolor paper in a Canon i9100
    >printer? I want to make 13"x 19" prints and I WANT the colors to bleed
    >a little, but I am concerned with clogging..
    >
    >Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    I've tried this with Epson printers like the 1280 but I didn't liked the
    results much on many images because the dot gain was so high the prints were
    lacking in contrast and details. With softer, abstract images with muted
    colors the watercolor papers look pretty good though.

    No problems at all with clogging, but the bleed was too much for my tastes for
    images with a lot of detail. I get much better results on these (again, for MY
    tastes) with coated watercolor papers like Epson's Watercolor-Radiant White for
    the 2200, or the coated Somerset Velvet papers (like Velvet Fine Art or Photo
    Enhanced), which are textured like watercolor paper but print with a lot more
    detail because of the coating.

    This site has some tips for printing on uncoated art papers and also offers
    sample packs of various types so you can print on several different papers to
    see which you prefer, 2 sheets of seven different types of uncoated paper for
    under $11 total ... http://www.inkjetart.com/art_papers.html

    Here's a link comparing the same image printed on coated vs non-coated Somerset
    papers ... http://www.inkjetart.com/tips/output_examples.html

    One other thing, not sure about the Canon but the Epson 2200 has a special
    paper in flat thru the back of the printer, because the paper is too thick for
    the normal feeder path. You might check to see if the 9100 lets you load very
    thick paper since if the paper feed has a non-straight path it might not feed
    properly.

    Hope this helps.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Wwso149874

    Moonraker Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > >From: (Wwso149874)

    Bill.....are you originally from Jefferson City, MO? I went to HS with a
    fellow with the same name as yours.

    Moonraker, Feb 5, 2004
  4. "Wwso149874" <> wrote in message
    > Is anybody using a heavy uncoated watercolor paper in a Canon i9100

    printer? I
    > want to make 13"x 19" prints and I WANT the colors to bleed a little, but

    I am
    > concerned with clogging..
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    I've printed on various grades of watercolor paper on my HP 930c. The
    effect is great for some types of pictures, especially when I first use a
    watercolor filter in Paint Shop Pro.

    I was encouraged to try this when I visited the studio of an artist who was
    printing on watercolor paper with an Epson printer.

    Marvin Margoshes, Feb 5, 2004
  5. Wwso149874

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >Bill.....are you originally from Jefferson City, MO? I went to HS with a
    >fellow with the same name as yours.

    Nope, different guy :)

    Bill Hilton, Feb 5, 2004
  6. Wwso149874

    > >Bill.....are you originally from Jefferson City, MO? I went to HS with

    > >fellow with the same name as yours.

    > Nope, different guy :)

    Good for you....I was gonna come hunt you down and whup you for stealing my
    girlfriend back then. ;)

    Moonraker, Feb 5, 2004
  7. Wwso149874 wrote:

    > Is anybody using a heavy uncoated watercolor paper in a Canon i9100 printer? I
    > want to make 13"x 19" prints and I WANT the colors to bleed a little, but I am
    > concerned with clogging..
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    It depends on what you want to print.
    I scanned a real watercolor for an Artist friend and printed it on the same exact
    paper that he used to create the original.
    I used a 4 year old Epson 740 and the results were awesome. The bleed was just
    right. It really looked like an original watercolor.
    OTOH, I suspect that if you printed a picture with lots of detail, the bleed may
    compromise the detail.
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Feb 5, 2004
  8. Wwso149874

    Tom Monego Guest

    I don't print with the Canon but the principles are the same.
    You can do it with minimal bleeding, but not with just the printer and
    Photoshop. You first need to linearize the paper, check the amount of ink the
    paper needs before it bleeds, set up a curve so you can save this. Then make a
    profile for the linearized paper. The image is soft but not bleeding, very nice
    effect for some images. You may get by using just a profile made by one of the
    on line profiling companies.
    To do this your self you would need
    1 a densitometer or spectrophotometer and the software for it or a good RIP,
    and profiling software, here something as simple as Monaco EZ Color could work.

    Tom

    Tom Monego, Feb 6, 2004