printing Nikon NEF files - workflow question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pat, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Hi,

    I have taken pics with Nikon D70 would like to print these files (4x6,
    8x10 and 11x14)at one of the pro labs. I would appreciate your
    comments/suggestions on the following:

    1) When you want prints from your NEF files, what is your workflow? I
    am cosidering two options here:
    a) NEF --> tiff --> ps work --> send it to printer
    b) NEF --> jpeg --> ps work --> send it to printer

    The options (b) above has an advantage in terms of file size so while
    uploading the files at the printer's site, it's easier.

    I do have Nikon software for 30 days trial but I find it easier to use
    ps as I am not used with the Nikon software yet.

    2) If you already took pics in jpeg, what workflow do you follow?
    I got some prints with the following workflow.
    original jpeg --> ps work - save as jpeg --> send it to printer

    I am not sure if this is a good way to print as saving again as jpeg
    will lose some quality.
    Will this be better?
    original jpeg --> convert to tiff --> ps work --> convert to jpeg -->
    print

    Thanks,
    Pat

    Pat, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Pat

    Stan Davis Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have taken pics with Nikon D70 would like to print these files (4x6,
    > 8x10 and 11x14)at one of the pro labs. I would appreciate your
    > comments/suggestions on the following:

    Must be ESP...I was about to post the same question

    Stan Davis, Jun 21, 2004

  3. Pat

    Paul Howland Guest

    Pat wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have taken pics with Nikon D70 would like to print these files (4x6,
    > 8x10 and 11x14)at one of the pro labs. I would appreciate your
    > comments/suggestions on the following:
    >
    > 1) When you want prints from your NEF files, what is your workflow? I
    > am cosidering two options here:
    > a) NEF --> tiff --> ps work --> send it to printer
    > b) NEF --> jpeg --> ps work --> send it to printer
    >
    > The options (b) above has an advantage in terms of file size so while
    > uploading the files at the printer's site, it's easier.

    Providing you use a high quality JPEG compression (ie. 11 or 12 in PS)
    then the difference in quality between tiff and jpeg will be unperceptable.

    > I do have Nikon software for 30 days trial but I find it easier to use
    > ps as I am not used with the Nikon software yet.
    >
    > 2) If you already took pics in jpeg, what workflow do you follow?
    > I got some prints with the following workflow.
    > original jpeg --> ps work - save as jpeg --> send it to printer

    That's fine, again if you use high quality JPEG mode

    > I am not sure if this is a good way to print as saving again as jpeg
    > will lose some quality.

    Only where you made changes. Photoshop is intelligent enough not to
    keep compressing unnecessarily.

    > Will this be better?
    > original jpeg --> convert to tiff --> ps work --> convert to jpeg -->
    > print

    No. Any conversion from JPEG to TIFF and back will result in a complete
    recompression of the image. At best it would be no better than simply
    opening jpeg, ps work then saving as jpeg.

    Paul Howland, Jun 21, 2004