Printing multiple pics in Linux

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Martyn, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. Martyn

    Martyn Guest

    Hi all,
    Under Windows I used to use HP Photo Printing software (not sure of the
    exact name but it was a freebie with the Photosmart printer). This SW
    allowed me to choose a paper size, then choose a print template that
    would fit the paper (e.g. one 8x10 or three 5x7 or 12 passport etc....)
    I could then drag and drop pictures into the templates and quickly print
    several images per page.

    I'm looking for somthing similar under Linux, I'm guessing there might
    be something attached to one of the picture library packages but can't
    find out for sure.

    Does anyone know of anything available?

    Note I'm not looking for Drivers, I can print single images, and if I
    really wanted I could use GIMP to compose a single image from multiple
    selections but I want something thats quick to use.

    TIA for any advice

    --
    Speak to the Penguin, he is your friend.
    Martyn, Sep 21, 2004

  2. Martyn

    Martyn Guest

    Martyn wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > Under Windows I used to use HP Photo Printing software (not sure of
    > the exact name but it was a freebie with the Photosmart printer). This
    > SW allowed me to choose a paper size, then choose a print template that
    > would fit the paper (e.g. one 8x10 or three 5x7 or 12 passport etc....)
    > I could then drag and drop pictures into the templates and quickly print
    > several images per page.
    >
    > I'm looking for somthing similar under Linux, I'm guessing there
    > might be something attached to one of the picture library packages but
    > can't find out for sure.
    >
    > Does anyone know of anything available?
    >
    > Note I'm not looking for Drivers, I can print single images, and if I
    > really wanted I could use GIMP to compose a single image from multiple
    > selections but I want something thats quick to use.
    >
    > TIA for any advice

    Well,
    To answer my own query (in case anyone else is looking in future)
    gnome-photo-printer (gpp) does what I'm looking for, it doesn't have
    some of the more complex features of the HP software on Windows but it
    does allow drag & drop of images and printing them a various common
    sizes of print on various common paper sizes.

    I'd still be gratefull for any other SW if anyone knows of any.

    --
    Speak to the Penguin, he is your friend.

    Remove WINDOZE before replying by Email
    Martyn, Sep 21, 2004

  3. Martyn <> writes:

    > Martyn wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > Under Windows I used to use HP Photo Printing software (not sure of the
    > > exact name but it was a freebie with the Photosmart printer). This SW allowed
    > > me to choose a paper size, then choose a print template that would fit the
    > > paper (e.g. one 8x10 or three 5x7 or 12 passport etc....) I could then drag
    > > and drop pictures into the templates and quickly print several images per
    > > page.
    > > I'm looking for somthing similar under Linux, I'm guessing there might be
    > > something attached to one of the picture library packages but can't find out
    > > for sure.
    > > Does anyone know of anything available?
    > > Note I'm not looking for Drivers, I can print single images, and if I
    > > really wanted I could use GIMP to compose a single image from multiple
    > > selections but I want something thats quick to use.
    > > TIA for any advice
    > >

    > Well,
    > To answer my own query (in case anyone else is looking in future)
    > gnome-photo-printer (gpp) does what I'm looking for, it doesn't have some of
    > the more complex features of the HP software on Windows but it does allow drag
    > & drop of images and printing them a various common sizes of print on various
    > common paper sizes.
    >
    > I'd still be gratefull for any other SW if anyone knows of any.

    I tend to use montage from ImageMagick to do tiled views. The one catch is you
    have to specify a -geometry option for the tile otherwise the defaults are real
    low, but usually if you are dealing with uncropped files, you know the image
    size of your camera. Here is a simple line:

    $ montage -tile 2x2 -geometry 1600x1200 -bordercolor black \
    -borderwidth 10 a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg d.jpg output.jpg
    $ lpr output.jpg

    Here is a slighty more complex line:

    $ montage -tile 2x2 -geometry 1600x1200 -pointsize 20 -font gothic \
    -bordercolor black -borderwidth 10 \
    -label "This is A's picture" a.jpg \
    -label "This is B rotated 90 degrees" -rotate 90 b.jpg \
    c.jpg \
    d.jpg \
    output.jpg

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Sep 21, 2004
  4. Martyn <> writes:

    >> Under Windows I used to use HP Photo Printing software (not sure of
    >> the exact name but it was a freebie with the Photosmart printer). This
    >> SW allowed me to choose a paper size, then choose a print template that
    >> would fit the paper (e.g. one 8x10 or three 5x7 or 12 passport etc....)
    >> I could then drag and drop pictures into the templates and quickly print
    >> several images per page.
    >>
    >> I'm looking for somthing similar under Linux

    > To answer my own query (in case anyone else is looking in future)
    >gnome-photo-printer (gpp) does what I'm looking for, it doesn't have
    >some of the more complex features of the HP software on Windows but it
    >does allow drag & drop of images and printing them a various common
    >sizes of print on various common paper sizes.

    >I'd still be gratefull for any other SW if anyone knows of any.

    Digikam (http://digikam.sourceforge.net) has a print wizard which will do what
    you're looking for (including outputting it to Gimp rather than to a printer),
    plus lots of other nice features for photo cataloging and basic batch and
    editing options.

    Bill
    --
    @@@@@@@ If my laptop battery is almost empty,