    Regards,
    Venkatesh
    , Nov 9, 2004

  2. wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a sony DSC P8 Camera. I took photos in 1 MB resolutions.
    >
    > The file size is 1280x960 and 300 DPI. I am able to take very good 8x12
    > inches prints using this.

    As an aside the 300DPI does not relate to the file. DPI is dots per
    inch which relates to the print. Files don't have inches. :)

    > I wanted to what is the max print I can take for this resolution ?

    Really really big. You can make a 8 foot by 10 foot print if you like.
    However if you look at it from a foot away it will not likely look like
    much. However sanding 30 feet away, it may look really good.

    We tend to look at larger prints from a greater distance.

    There are a number of rules of thumb and technical formulas to answer
    your question, but the only real answer is what looks good to you. Try
    printing it larger and see.

    > What
    > does the quality of the prints depend on ?

    Many many factors. The subject, exposure, focus, lighting, contrast,
    post exposure processing, method of printing, paper used, location displayed
    and many other factors go into determining how good it will look. it is how
    good it looks that determines the quality.

    > Some website where I can get more info on this will be highly
    > appreciated.

    I suggest personal experience will be far more important. I will make
    one suggestion. When looking at the results you are getting look closely at
    only one number. That number is PPI (Pixels per Inch). Your 8x10 was a
    little over 100 ppi. Most people find 150 ppi good for smaller prints (like
    smaller than 8x10) and larger prints like 16x20 may do well at 75 ppi.

    After making a few prints, you will have a good idea of what you find
    pleasing.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Guest

    Hi Joseph,
    Thanks for the very nice explanation .

    One more question ? When buying a camera does the Mega Pixel really
    matter in a big way ?

    Is there any great value add that I can get by buying a 5 MP camera
    over a 3.2 MP camera ?

    Rgds,
    Venks
    , Nov 9, 2004
  4. wrote:
    > Hi Joseph,
    > Thanks for the very nice explanation .
    >
    > One more question ? When buying a camera does the Mega Pixel really
    > matter in a big way ?
    >
    > Is there any great value add that I can get by buying a 5 MP camera
    > over a 3.2 MP camera ?
    >
    > Rgds,
    > Venks

    Well it does matter. First more will cost more, all else being equal.
    Second more is likely to give better results for larger images. For example
    if you were to compare the results from a 3.2 MP camera to my 8.2 MP camera
    printed 16x24 side by side I believe you will see a serious difference. On
    the other hand if you compare the same images printed 4x6 it would be
    difficult or impossible to tell.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Nov 9, 2004
  5. Alan Meyer Guest

    "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    > > Hi Joseph,
    > > Thanks for the very nice explanation .
    > >
    > > One more question ? When buying a camera does the Mega Pixel really
    > > matter in a big way ?
    > >
    > > Is there any great value add that I can get by buying a 5 MP camera
    > > over a 3.2 MP camera ?
    > >
    > > Rgds,
    > > Venks

    > Well it does matter. First more will cost more, all else being equal.
    > Second more is likely to give better results for larger images. For

    example
    > if you were to compare the results from a 3.2 MP camera to my 8.2 MP

    camera
    > printed 16x24 side by side I believe you will see a serious difference.

    On
    > the other hand if you compare the same images printed 4x6 it would be
    > difficult or impossible to tell.

    I'd like to add a few remarks to Joseph's excellent answers.

    The subject matter of the photo also affects how much you can
    enlarge the prints. A photo of something intricate with fine detail
    needs more megapixels to look good than a photo of larger
    objects where color fidelity may be more important.

    I once did a comparison of 3, 4, 5, and 8 MP images
    printed at 8x10 (posted to this group - search Google
    groups for my postings to RFD and you'll find it) using
    images from Steve's digicam website
    (http://www.steves-digicams.com). These were photos
    of an indoor setup with some magazines, posters, and
    a bright red M&M statue. The statue looked great on
    all prints. The fine detail looked noticeably better at
    8x10 with 4mp than 3 - though only in the fine detail.
    It looked very slightly better at 5 than 4. I couldn't tell
    that it looked better at all at 8. However if I blew up the
    image bigger than 8x10, the 8 looked significantly better
    than the 5.

    For non-professional use, for family and vacation photos,
    and for photos to put on your wall, I am convinced that
    3 mp is adequate up to 8x10, and even 2 mp will work
    for most photos. For professional use or more demanding
    applications, or for larger prints, or for cropping, you
    need more pixels.

    Alan
    Alan Meyer, Nov 10, 2004
  6. Jeremy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have a sony DSC P8 Camera. I took photos in 1 MB resolutions.
    >
    > The file size is 1280x960 and 300 DPI. I am able to take very good 8x12
    > inches prints using this.
    >
    > I wanted to what is the max print I can take for this resolution ? What
    > does the quality of the prints depend on ?
    >
    > Some website where I can get more info on this will be highly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Venkatesh

    OFOTO.COM has a technical page that gives the minimum requirements for
    various sized prints. They claim they can print up to 20x30 from a 2.3 MP
    file!
    Jeremy, Nov 10, 2004