    If yes what's better about them? I mean will a good lab be able to print
    quality work using regular photo paper?

    Thanks

    Jack, May 7, 2006

  2. Jack

    Pat Guest

    Yes, I think they are better papers, but it isn't just the paper.

    One lab I use uses Kodak Endura Pro and the other uses Kodak Supreme.
    I am happy with both but I would give the edge to Endura. However,
    what I think the real difference is, is that the one that uses Endura
    is a small, custom lab and the other is much larger. Labs that use the
    good paper do a good job printing and bulk labs the use the other
    papers don't do such a great job (and wouldn't even if the had great
    paper).

    Pat, May 7, 2006

  3. Jack

    Roy G Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I notice that some printing labs print on photo paper that have the words
    > "professional" and "copyright" printed on the back.
    >
    > Are these papers "better" then the usual papers labs use for their prints?
    > If yes what's better about them? I mean will a good lab be able to print
    > quality work using regular photo paper?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi

    Kodak do have a "Professional" Ink Jet Paper, it is the only one for which
    they supply ICC profiles.

    There may be differences in the papers which the Labs use, but the word
    "Professional" printed on the back is no guide to quality.

    "Professional" is over used in the Photo Trade, in order to sell things to
    people who do not know any better.

    A Point & Shoot with the designation "PRO", has to be a joke.

    Roy G

    Roy G, May 8, 2006
  4. Jack

    Pat Guest

    Actually, that's not why they put it the label on the back of the
    paper. The back also reads:

    DO NOT COPY
    and
    PROFESSIONAL IMAGES ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED

    It is so 1 hour shops won't copy them.

    Pat, May 8, 2006
  5. Jack

    David Harmon Guest

    On Sun, 7 May 2006 11:13:55 +0100 in rec.photo.digital, "Jack"
    <> wrote,
    >Hi
    >I notice that some printing labs print on photo paper that have the words
    >"professional" and "copyright" printed on the back.
    >
    >Are these papers "better" then the usual papers labs use for their prints?
    >If yes what's better about them? I mean will a good lab be able to print
    >quality work using regular photo paper?

    That is probably the paper with the built-in yellow copy protection
    dots. Here is a magnified scan of part of a photo printed on such
    paper: http://i3.tinypic.com/xkmx3d.jpg (about 1/2 inch wide)

    Here is the same area, but the blue channel only so as to make the
    dots more apparent: http://i3.tinypic.com/xkmyw1.jpg

    If you try to copy it on one of those Kodak kiosk machines, it will
    be refused. I don't know if anything else recognizes it.

    David Harmon, May 8, 2006