    >=Martin= Guest

    Is there a way to make a printout of a personally created google map?

    >=Martin=, Aug 22, 2007

  2. >=Martin=

    TJ Guest

    ">=Martin=<" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Is there a way to make a printout of a personally created google map?

    Define: "personally created google map."

    I thought *all* google maps were created personally. I mean, how could
    google possibly know what you want a map of, unless you (personally) enter
    some info first?

    Why cant you just hit 'Print' while the map is loaded?

    TJ, Aug 22, 2007

  3. >=Martin=

    Mike Easter Guest

    > Is there a way to make a printout of a personally created google map?

    Yes.

    I make a screenshot, paste it into irfanview, tune it up and print it
    out. I find that sometimes it is better to make several at different
    levels of zoom. I usually make mine in black&white, because it is
    cheaper to buy black ink cartridges than color ones. The IV tuneup
    takes more steps when you do b&w.

    Sometimes the rental car places near an airport want to keep my maps
    that I make of the offsite area around an airport because my maps are
    better than theirs. If I had known my map was going to be so desirable,
    I suppose that I would have left it in color.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 22, 2007
  4. >=Martin=

    TJ Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in news:13cokc5k647ao91
    @corp.supernews.com:

    >> Is there a way to make a printout of a personally created google map?

    > Yes.
    >
    > I make a screenshot, paste it into irfanview, tune it up and print it
    > out. I find that sometimes it is better to make several at different
    > levels of zoom. I usually make mine in black&white, because it is
    > cheaper to buy black ink cartridges than color ones. The IV tuneup
    > takes more steps when you do b&w.

    The dreaded "Print Screen" button may come into play here.

    I thought mine was broken for about a year before I found it's just
    misnamed. :) That was about 15 years ago, and they STILL call it "Print
    Screen" when it does nothing of the sort. "Copy Screen" would be much more
    gooder IMO.

    > Sometimes the rental car places near an airport want to keep my maps
    > that I make of the offsite area around an airport because my maps are
    > better than theirs. If I had known my map was going to be so desirable,
    > I suppose that I would have left it in color.

    :)

    TJ, Aug 22, 2007
  5. >=Martin=

    Mike Easter Guest

    TJ wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> I make a screenshot,

    > The dreaded "Print Screen" button may come into play here.
    >
    > I thought mine was broken for about a year before I found it's just
    > misnamed. :) That was about 15 years ago, and they STILL call it
    > "Print Screen" when it does nothing of the sort. "Copy Screen" would
    > be much more gooder IMO.

    Naturally a wiki article discusses the historical background/meaning of
    PrtScr http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Print_screen Print screen - Print
    screen is shared with SysRq. - Under earlier command-line based
    operating systems, this caused an exact copy of the current screen
    output to be sent to the standard printer port, usually LPT1.

    .... and even has another article about the now arcane SysRq

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 22, 2007
  6. >=Martin=

    TJ Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in news:13coo14emcjk926
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > TJ wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> I make a screenshot,

    >> The dreaded "Print Screen" button may come into play here.
    >>
    >> I thought mine was broken for about a year before I found it's just
    >> misnamed. :) That was about 15 years ago, and they STILL call it
    >> "Print Screen" when it does nothing of the sort. "Copy Screen" would
    >> be much more gooder IMO.

    > Naturally a wiki article discusses the historical background/meaning of
    > PrtScr http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Print_screen Print screen - Print
    > screen is shared with SysRq. - Under earlier command-line based
    > operating systems, this caused an exact copy of the current screen
    > output to be sent to the standard printer port, usually LPT1.
    >
    > ... and even has another article about the now arcane SysRq

    Wiki wasn't around back then. (Win 95 days)

    I guess my point was, why do you suppose modern keyboard makers don't just
    call it what it is THESE days? Maybe, "Copy Screen to Clipboard" or
    something.

    There can't be THAT much of a surplus of print screen/SysRq buttons about,
    can there? :)

    TJ, Aug 22, 2007
  7. TJ wrote:

    > The dreaded "Print Screen" button may come into play here.

    I think that's next to the Any key.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 23, 2007
  8. TJ wrote:

    > I guess my point was, why do you suppose modern keyboard makers don't
    > just call it what it is THESE days? Maybe, "Copy Screen to Clipboard"
    > or something.
    >
    > There can't be THAT much of a surplus of print screen/SysRq buttons
    > about, can there? :)

    I usually have spares around. In fact, I have spares of PrintScrn/SysRq
    and Scroll Lock and Pause/Break sitting next to one of my printers,
    right now. When I buy a keyboard that has them as a row in the stack
    above the inverted-tee of the arrow keys, I remove them so I don't
    accidentally hit one when I'm going for the six useful keys in that
    matrix. I'm a touch typist, and that includes that group of keys
    between the main set and the numeric keypad. But sometimes those four
    keys are above Insert|Home|PageUp, and sometimes they're below
    Delete|End|PageDown. So here, they come off before I even start using
    the keyboard. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 23, 2007
  9. It was on, or about, Wed, 22 Aug 2007 23:28:16 +0000, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > TJ wrote:
    >
    >> I guess my point was, why do you suppose modern keyboard makers don't
    >> just call it what it is THESE days? Maybe, "Copy Screen to Clipboard"
    >> or something.
    >>
    >> There can't be THAT much of a surplus of print screen/SysRq buttons
    >> about, can there? :)

    > I usually have spares around. In fact, I have spares of PrintScrn/SysRq
    > and Scroll Lock and Pause/Break sitting next to one of my printers,
    > right now. When I buy a keyboard that has them as a row in the stack
    > above the inverted-tee of the arrow keys, I remove them so I don't
    > accidentally hit one when I'm going for the six useful keys in that
    > matrix. I'm a touch typist, and that includes that group of keys
    > between the main set and the numeric keypad. But sometimes those four
    > keys are above Insert|Home|PageUp, and sometimes they're below
    > Delete|End|PageDown. So here, they come off before I even start using
    > the keyboard. :)

    In Kubuntu hitting PrintScrn automatically brings up Ksnapshot, which is
    quite handy sometimes.

    --
    Surely you are not comparing the non-existent Linux (at that time) with
    98? - Hadron aka Hadron Quark, Hans Schneider, & Damian O'Leary

    William Poaster, Aug 24, 2007
  10. William Poaster wrote:
    > It was on, or about, Wed, 22 Aug 2007 23:28:16 +0000, that as I was
    > halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> TJ wrote:
    >>
    >>> I guess my point was, why do you suppose modern keyboard makers don't
    >>> just call it what it is THESE days? Maybe, "Copy Screen to Clipboard"
    >>> or something.
    >>>
    >>> There can't be THAT much of a surplus of print screen/SysRq buttons
    >>> about, can there? :)

    >> I usually have spares around. In fact, I have spares of PrintScrn/SysRq
    >> and Scroll Lock and Pause/Break sitting next to one of my printers,
    >> right now. When I buy a keyboard that has them as a row in the stack
    >> above the inverted-tee of the arrow keys, I remove them so I don't
    >> accidentally hit one when I'm going for the six useful keys in that
    >> matrix. I'm a touch typist, and that includes that group of keys
    >> between the main set and the numeric keypad. But sometimes those four
    >> keys are above Insert|Home|PageUp, and sometimes they're below
    >> Delete|End|PageDown. So here, they come off before I even start using
    >> the keyboard. :)

    > In Kubuntu hitting PrintScrn automatically brings up Ksnapshot, which is
    > quite handy sometimes.

    Good idea!

    Now you've got me wondering if any such thing is set up here in
    Mandriva.

    <pokes the eraser end of a Ticonderoga 1388-3 pencil into the
    hole where the PrintScrn key used to be>

    Hey, that brings it up in Ksnapshot here, too. I did not know that. As
    you can imagine from knowing that's one of the keys I remove. :)

    I wonder if that's configurable. It would be tres bitchin' if it
    brought the cap up in the GIMP.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 24, 2007
  11. >=Martin=

    Mike Easter Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > a Ticonderoga 1388-3 pencil

    pencil pic http://snipurl.com/1pwu9

    Other pencils from the Joseph Dixon Crucible Co. now Dixon Ticonderoga
    http://www.brandnamepencils.com/brands/dixon/index.shtml

    Their website sez:

    America's #1 pencil! First introduced in 1913, the Joseph Dixon Crucible
    Company wanted a name that represented "a fine American name for a fine
    American pencil." They named the pencil Ticonderoga after Fort
    Ticonderoga, a military post
    in New York. -- With production of nearly a half a billion pencils a
    year, the Ticonderoga has become the #1, most recognized, and revered
    pencil throughout America and the world.
    http://www.dixonusa.com/index.cfm/fuseaction=Ticonderoga.home

    The capture of Fort Ticonderoga was an event early in the American
    Revolutionary War. On May 10, 1775, Colonels Ethan Allen and Benedict
    Arnold surprised and captured the small British garrison at Fort
    Ticonderoga.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ticonderoga_(1775)

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 24, 2007
  12. It was on, or about, Fri, 24 Aug 2007 19:37:30 +0000, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >> It was on, or about, Wed, 22 Aug 2007 23:28:16 +0000, that as I was
    >> halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> I usually have spares around. In fact, I have spares of
    >>> PrintScrn/SysRq and Scroll Lock and Pause/Break sitting next to one of
    >>> my printers, right now. When I buy a keyboard that has them as a row
    >>> in the stack above the inverted-tee of the arrow keys, I remove them
    >>> so I don't accidentally hit one when I'm going for the six useful keys
    >>> in that matrix. I'm a touch typist, and that includes that group of
    >>> keys between the main set and the numeric keypad. But sometimes those
    >>> four keys are above Insert|Home|PageUp, and sometimes they're below
    >>> Delete|End|PageDown. So here, they come off before I even start using
    >>> the keyboard. :)

    >> In Kubuntu hitting PrintScrn automatically brings up Ksnapshot, which
    >> is quite handy sometimes.

    > Good idea!
    >
    > Now you've got me wondering if any such thing is set up here in
    > Mandriva.
    >
    > <pokes the eraser end of a Ticonderoga 1388-3 pencil into the hole where
    > the PrintScrn key used to be>
    >
    > Hey, that brings it up in Ksnapshot here, too. I did not know that. As
    > you can imagine from knowing that's one of the keys I remove. :)

    I don't suppose it matters, as long as you have a pencil handy! <grin>

    > I wonder if that's configurable. It would be tres bitchin' if it
    > brought the cap up in the GIMP.

    Yes, it would & I hadn't thought of that. I don't know if it's possible.

    William Poaster, Aug 24, 2007
  13. Blinky the Shark, Aug 25, 2007
  14. >=Martin=

    Mike Easter Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>> a Ticonderoga 1388-3 pencil

    >> pencil pic http://snipurl.com/1pwu9

    > Ah, but I have the Pro model. :)
    >
    > http://blinkynet.net/stuff/1388-3.jpg
    >
    > That's the very one I used. :)

    I can't tell for sure from the pic. Is that one round? I used to work
    at a lumberyard in my youth that used round yellow pencils for its
    advertising. The site I cited also has a pic of a round 1388 but in a
    #2 instead of #3 http://snipurl.com/1px0w

    > I did know about the Fort and Battle Of Ticonderoga. :)

    Ahh. But did you know this part/version....

    "On May 10, 1775, a sleeping British garrison of 22 soldiers was
    surprised by a small force of Vermonters who called themselves the Green
    Mountain Boys, and were led by Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold, who
    walked into the fort through an unlocked gate. Allen later claimed that
    he demanded to the British commandant that he surrender the fort "In the
    name of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress!"; however, his
    surrender demand was made to a junior officer, not the commandant, and
    no other witnesses remembered Allen uttering such a phrase.[2] Not a
    single shot was fired."

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 25, 2007
  15. Mike Easter wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:
    >>>
    >>> pencil pic http://snipurl.com/1pwu9

    >> Ah, but I have the Pro model. :)
    >>
    >> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/1388-3.jpg
    >>
    >> That's the very one I used. :)

    > I can't tell for sure from the pic. Is that one round? I used to work

    No. The highlight above the printing defines the upper edge of the
    printed-on side and side below is shadowed (darker). Sheesh. :)

    > at a lumberyard in my youth that used round yellow pencils for its
    > advertising. The site I cited also has a pic of a round 1388 but in a
    > #2 instead of #3 http://snipurl.com/1px0w

    That must be what the 2 means. I've never seen a round one before.

    >> I did know about the Fort and Battle Of Ticonderoga. :)

    > Ahh. But did you know this part/version....
    >
    > "On May 10, 1775, a sleeping British garrison of 22 soldiers was
    > surprised by a small force of Vermonters who called themselves the Green
    > Mountain Boys, and were led by Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold, who
    > walked into the fort through an unlocked gate. Allen later claimed that
    > he demanded to the British commandant that he surrender the fort "In the
    > name of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress!"; however, his
    > surrender demand was made to a junior officer, not the commandant, and
    > no other witnesses remembered Allen uttering such a phrase.[2] Not a
    > single shot was fired."

    No, although I do remember reading of the GMBs (and EA and BA).

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 25, 2007