  1. Is it possible to configure a Windows2000 print server to support WindowsXP
    (X64-ersion) remote printing via shared printers. What about Windows Sever
    2003 (X86 resp.X64)?
    =?Utf-8?B?cm9zY2h3YW0=?=, Aug 2, 2006

  2. No to 2000, yes to 2003. One of my earliest blog posts after x64 Edititon
    shipped was a step by step how to for adding x64 printing support to 32-bit
    Windows Server.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/08/05/61685.aspx

    --
    Charlie.
    Charlie Russel, Aug 2, 2006

  3. roschwam wrote:

    >Is it possible to configure a Windows2000 print server to support WindowsXP
    >(X64-ersion) remote printing via shared printers. What about Windows Sever
    >2003 (X86 resp.X64)?

    I don't see any reason it wouldn't be possible - though the x64 print
    drivers would need to be preinstalled by hand on the target machines.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Aug 2, 2006
  4. This is correct. Point and Print will not work since the x64 drivers cannot
    be installed on the Win2k server but the x64 client can send print data to
    the server fine.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Aug 2, 2006
  5. Alan Morris [MSFT] wrote:

    >This is correct. Point and Print will not work since the x64 drivers
    >cannot be installed on the Win2k server but the x64 client can send print
    >data to the server fine.

    Yup, a print server is a print server is a print server...

    The "Point and Print" capability is a pretty cool feature of windows Print
    Servers, but obviously requires a version recent enough to understand
    alternative OS options.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Aug 2, 2006
  6. The Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition offers only Itanium or X86
    processors for the installation of additional printer drivers. Both don't
    accept \am64-inf-files.So how should I install X64 drivers for shared
    printers?

    =?Utf-8?B?cm9zY2h3YW0=?=, Aug 3, 2006
  7. Yes, you will need SP1 since this was the code base for XP x64.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Aug 3, 2006
  8. You need to be at the SP1 or higher level. Which you absolutely should be
    regardless of printing!

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64