    connect to my wirless router to access the internet, but I don't know how to
    access the printer in in office.

    Suggestions?
    Nordak, Dec 24, 2007

  2. Hi
    Your work computer might be configured differently to match the work
    Network.
    You should talk to the person in charge at work, he probably can offer a
    solution.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 24, 2007

  3. Nordak

    Nordak Guest

    Jack, yes the work laptop is configured for the work network (docking
    station; and wireless connection when not docked).
    I did ask an IT guy at work and he said once I've connected to the internet
    via my home wireless router I *should* be able to address the printer through
    the office desktop. But I don't know exactly how to do that. I've mapped
    the my home office desktop computer (the one with with the printer attached)
    to a particular IP address (192.168.1.9) so that I can count on it not
    changing as the other computers are turned on/off. So I though perhaps
    adding a printer with something like this address would work:
    \\192.168.1.9\HP 4100 but, no dice...so far.

    I guess my question is if this is even possible? For a laptop configured
    for a particular network (in my case my workplace network), when connecting
    to a wirless router on a different network (in my case my home network), can
    I access other devices through another system on that network if I know that
    computer's IP address (and, I guess, the shared printer name)?

    Thanks.

    Randy

    Nordak, Dec 24, 2007
  4. Hi
    There are two components involved this issue.
    IP address and Network (Group) name.
    While the laptop is able to obtain the correct IP and thus go to the
    Internet it is probably Not on the same Local Network (Domain) as your
    other computers.
    In addition in order to print thorough the Network you have to add the
    Printer as a Network Printer and install its Drivers on the work laptop.
    Otherwise buy a $10 USB Flash Drive copy the file from the Laptop to the
    Flash Drive and copy it to the printing computer.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 24, 2007
  5. Nordak

    Nordak Guest

    Ya, I've used sneakernet plenty with a USB drive!

    No problem installing the HP printer drivers on my laptop - in fact, I
    already did that (sometimes I just walk to the desktop printer and switch the
    USB cable from the desktop to the laptop).

    But I didn't think of the domain name issue. Is there a workaround? If I
    change the domain name when I'm home - like now, for another 2 weeks - would
    it screw anything up changing it back when I go back to work with the work
    domain name?

    Thanks again.

    Nordak, Dec 24, 2007
  6. Hi
    Try temp. to disable the Firewalls on both computers.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 24, 2007