    does not print. My printer is connected to a USB port rather than LPT1.
    Any idea how to make this work?

    Thanks in advance.
    jcollins, Apr 12, 2005

  2. jcollins

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "jcollins" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In trying to print from a DOS prompt in Windows XP Professional I get a
    > message that the file I have tried to print is being printed. However it
    > does not print. My printer is connected to a USB port rather than LPT1.
    > Any idea how to make this work?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    What are you trying to print? Is it something you can open up from within
    Windows? The command prompt is now an "emulator" and doesn't have USB
    drivers to know how to use your USB printer.

    There are workarounds, I believe using "Net use" commands, but my memory is
    a bit rusty on that one right now.
    Toolman Tim, Apr 12, 2005

  3. jcollins wrote:
    > In trying to print from a DOS prompt in Windows XP Professional I get
    > a message that the file I have tried to print is being printed.
    > However it does not print. My printer is connected to a USB port
    > rather than LPT1. Any idea how to make this work?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Service Pak 2 solves most of the problems you mentioned. We recommend you to
    install it.
    --
    - Frank DeLucca -

    MS-MPV (Confirmation coming up any time now.)
    Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV, Apr 12, 2005
  4. jcollins

    John Holmes Guest

    Toolman Tim asked in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "jcollins" <> wrote in message
    >> In trying to print from a DOS prompt in Windows XP Professional I get
    >> a message that the file I have tried to print is being printed.
    >> However it does not print. My printer is connected to a USB port
    >> rather than LPT1. Any idea how to make this work?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>

    > What are you trying to print? Is it something you can open up from
    > within Windows? The command prompt is now an "emulator" and doesn't
    > have USB drivers to know how to use your USB printer.
    >
    > There are workarounds, I believe using "Net use" commands, but my
    > memory is a bit rusty on that one right now.

    You have been drinkin' again?

    --
    - John Holmes -

    " I ain't no **** "

    \|/
    John Holmes, Apr 12, 2005
  5. jcollins

    Keme Guest

    Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV wrote:
    > jcollins wrote:

    <<snip>>

    > Service Pak 2 solves most of the problems you mentioned. We recommend you to
    > install it.

    Tend to repeat yourself a lot, don't you? Maybe you're a bot? (trollbot?)
    Keme, Apr 12, 2005
  6. jcollins

    Keme Guest

    jcollins wrote:
    > In trying to print from a DOS prompt in Windows XP Professional I get a
    > message that the file I have tried to print is being printed. However it
    > does not print. My printer is connected to a USB port rather than LPT1.
    > Any idea how to make this work?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Share the printer in windows:
    - Right click on the printer icon in "settings - Printers and faxes"
    - Select "Sharing" in the context menu
    - If you see a warning message, select the links to activate printer sharing
    - Select "Share printer" and enter a share name (max 8 characters)

    Connect DOS to the shared printer:
    c:\>net use LPT1: \\127.0.0.1\LASERJET

    Substitute your Windows printer share name for "LASERJET" in the "net
    use" command above.

    Note that your printer now is "network shared". If you are connected to
    a network and don't have firewalls blocking inbound SBM print, anyone on
    the network can use it.
    Keme, Apr 12, 2005