printing folder lst

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alex Axolotl, Dec 14, 2004.

  1. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    MikeN wrote:
    > Is there a simple way to print a list of folder contents under windows
    > 98?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > MikeN

    Open them in a browser like file:///C:/ then print

    Alex Axolotl, Dec 14, 2004

  2. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    MikeN, Dec 14, 2004
  4. MikeN <> wrote:

    >Is there a simple way to print a list of folder contents under windows
    >98?

    Parallel port printer:

    Open up an MS-DOS prompt,
    navigate to the directory you want to print a listing of,
    type "DIR > PRN" ,
    then hit enter.

    You may need to force the printer to do a page-feed to make it print,
    though.

    These could be worth a look, too:
    http://www.chami.com/tips/windows/120796W.html
    http://www.csun.edu/itr/guides/winnt-folderlist.html

    Or are these the wrong type of simple? In which case, this software
    may be the answer:

    http://www.zzee.com/solutions/print-directory.html

    Steve Marshall, Dec 15, 2004

    Steve Marshall, Dec 15, 2004
  6. Alex Axolotl

    Nik Coughin Guest

    MikeN wrote:
    > Is there a simple way to print a list of folder contents under windows
    > 98?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > MikeN

    From command prompt

    dir > file.txt

    For a full listing

    Or:

    dir /b > file.txt

    For just the filenames without any extra info

    Then open file.txt and print it.

    Nik Coughin, Dec 15, 2004
  7. Alex Axolotl

    Nik Coughin Guest

    MikeN wrote:
    > Is there a simple way to print a list of folder contents under windows
    > 98?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > MikeN

    From command prompt

    Nik Coughin, Dec 15, 2004
  8. Alex Axolotl said the following on 15/12/2004 3:11 a.m.:
    > MikeN wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a simple way to print a list of folder contents under windows
    >> 98?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> MikeN

    > Open them in a browser like file:///C:/ then print

    Full marks that man for a good MS solution.
    And he is a Linux guy as well I think :cool:

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Dec 15, 2004

    Collector»NZ, Dec 15, 2004
  10. Collector»NZ <> wrote:

    >> Open them in a browser like file:///C:/ then print

    >Full marks that man for a good MS solution.

    Good idea, though. In Opera, under XP, it would be:

    file://localhost/C:/

    Steve Marshall, Dec 15, 2004

    Steve Marshall, Dec 15, 2004
  12. Alex Axolotl

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:54:56 +1300, MikeN wrote:

    > Is there a simple way to print a list of folder contents under windows
    > 98?

    Note gentle people, a request which covers the required information. No
    assumptions needed.

    Gordon, Dec 15, 2004
  13. Alex Axolotl

    Gordon, Dec 15, 2004
  14. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Alex Axolotl said the following on 15/12/2004 3:11 a.m.:
    >
    >> MikeN wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a simple way to print a list of folder contents under windows
    >>> 98?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> MikeN

    >> Open them in a browser like file:///C:/ then print

    > Full marks that man for a good MS solution.
    > And he is a Linux guy as well I think :cool:

    Who's asking ? ;-)

    Alex Axolotl, Dec 15, 2004
  15. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Alex Axolotl, Dec 15, 2004
  16. Alex Axolotl

    MikeN Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:58:24 +1300, Steve Marshall <>
    wrote:

    >MikeN <> wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a simple way to print a list of folder contents under windows
    >>98?

    >Parallel port printer:
    >
    >Open up an MS-DOS prompt,
    >navigate to the directory you want to print a listing of,
    >type "DIR > PRN" ,
    >then hit enter.
    >
    >You may need to force the printer to do a page-feed to make it print,
    >though.
    >
    >These could be worth a look, too:
    >http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article01-451
    >http://www.chami.com/tips/windows/120796W.html
    >http://www.csun.edu/itr/guides/winnt-folderlist.html
    >
    >Or are these the wrong type of simple? In which case, this software
    >may be the answer:
    >
    >http://www.zzee.com/solutions/print-directory.html

    Hi Steve.

    Thanks for the info. I followed up your suggestions.

    Seems there is a utility in W95 power-toys, not sure it will work in
    W98. Also O'Reilly has a downloadable utility for owners of their
    book Windows 98 Annoyances.

    I'd been thinking about getting a copy of that book for some time - so
    just ordered one from Amazon - a new copy costing only $20 odd NZ.

    I ws aware of the DOS method, just looking for something keeping a
    windows-like display.

    MikeN

    MikeN, Dec 16, 2004
  17. Alex Axolotl