    what size are DVD covers for single DVDs ??

    where can I get the right quality paper in the UK ?

    , May 14, 2004

  2. Oldus Fartus Guest

    wrote:

    > I need some help.
    >
    > what size are DVD covers for single DVDs ??

    You aren't serious are you? Have you thought about just taking one out
    of a cover and measuring it?

    > where can I get the right quality paper in the UK ?

    Any shop which sells inkjet printer paper.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 14, 2004

  3. Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:15:23 +0800, Oldus Fartus
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I need some help.
    >>
    >> what size are DVD covers for single DVDs ??
    >>

    >You aren't serious are you? Have you thought about just taking one out
    >of a cover and measuring it?

    yes i have. but it doesnt seem to be a standard printer size.
    it isnt a4, b4 , letter or legal so what is it ?
    i am assuming it has a standard name.
    should i just print to a4 and then cut it ??

    >> where can I get the right quality paper in the UK ?
    >>

    >Any shop which sells inkjet printer paper.

    what should i ask for ?

    , May 14, 2004
  4. Joshua Zyber Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I need some help.
    >
    > what size are DVD covers for single DVDs ??
    >
    > where can I get the right quality paper in the UK ?

    If you have a photo-quality printer, I've found that semi-gloss photo
    paper works nicely.

    As you've noticed, a DVD cover is just slightly too long to fit on an
    8.5x11" piece of paper. Personally, what works for me is to divide the
    cover into two pieces, front and back, and print them on separate pieces
    of paper. When you do the crop, both halves should include the full
    spine. Then when you have both halves printed, slide them into the
    keepcase with the duplicated spines overlapping one another. When you
    close the case, the fold will hold the covers together, and it is very
    difficult to tell they were ever separated unless you look for it. I
    suppose you could also glue/tape the two halves together if you felt
    like it.

    There are other printing suggestions/instructions at www.dvdcoverart.com

    Joshua Zyber, May 14, 2004
  5. Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 11:54:45 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I need some help.
    >>
    >> what size are DVD covers for single DVDs ??
    >>
    >> where can I get the right quality paper in the UK ?

    >If you have a photo-quality printer, I've found that semi-gloss photo
    >paper works nicely.
    >
    >As you've noticed, a DVD cover is just slightly too long to fit on an
    >8.5x11" piece of paper. Personally, what works for me is to divide the
    >cover into two pieces, front and back, and print them on separate pieces
    >of paper. When you do the crop, both halves should include the full
    >spine. Then when you have both halves printed, slide them into the
    >keepcase with the duplicated spines overlapping one another. When you
    >close the case, the fold will hold the covers together, and it is very
    >difficult to tell they were ever separated unless you look for it. I
    >suppose you could also glue/tape the two halves together if you felt
    >like it.
    >
    >There are other printing suggestions/instructions at www.dvdcoverart.com

    thanks joshua.
    out of interest where do you buy your paper and how much do you pay ?

    , May 14, 2004
  6. Oldus Fartus Guest

    wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:15:23 +0800, Oldus Fartus
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I need some help.
    >>>
    >>> what size are DVD covers for single DVDs ??
    >>>

    >> You aren't serious are you? Have you thought about just taking one
    >> out of a cover and measuring it?
    >>

    > yes i have. but it doesnt seem to be a standard printer size.
    > it isnt a4, b4 , letter or legal so what is it ?
    > i am assuming it has a standard name.
    > should i just print to a4 and then cut it ??

    No, it isn't a standard size so you either have to do as Joshua suggested,
    or else print it on A4 and cut to size.

    >>> where can I get the right quality paper in the UK ?
    >>>

    >> Any shop which sells inkjet printer paper.

    > what should i ask for ?

    Depends on the quality you want. I do transfers to DVD for a wedding
    photographer and we use photo quality inkjet paper (the glossy one), but
    for my own use I normally just use the premium inkjet paper.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 14, 2004
  7. On Fri, 14 May 2004 11:23:19 +0100, wrote:

    >I need some help.
    >
    >what size are DVD covers for single DVDs ??
    >
    >where can I get the right quality paper in the UK ?

    We have a business doing video scrapbooks, and doing the covers was
    looking to be a hassle. What we settled on was using 67lb(bristol
    cover) white cover stock, 11x17 tabloid size, and using a Carl Bidex
    15 inch paper trimmer to, first, resize the paper to fit our printer,
    and then to cut it down to final size. We also use SureThing to design
    the covers, using Photoshop Elements v. 2, Paint shop Pro, as well as
    a host of other various and sundry programs.
    Hope that helps.

    Dyuob Poltice, May 14, 2004
  8. Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 20:12:04 +0800, "Oldus Fartus"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:15:23 +0800, Oldus Fartus
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> You aren't serious are you? Have you thought about just taking one
    >>> out of a cover and measuring it?
    >>>

    >> yes i have. but it doesnt seem to be a standard printer size.
    >> it isnt a4, b4 , letter or legal so what is it ?
    >> i am assuming it has a standard name.
    >> should i just print to a4 and then cut it ??
    >>

    >No, it isn't a standard size so you either have to do as Joshua suggested,
    >or else print it on A4 and cut to size.

    >>> Any shop which sells inkjet printer paper.

    >> what should i ask for ?

    >Depends on the quality you want. I do transfers to DVD for a wedding
    >photographer and we use photo quality inkjet paper (the glossy one), but
    >for my own use I normally just use the premium inkjet paper.

    can i ask you which brand and how much you usually pay ?

    , May 14, 2004
  9. Guest

    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:15:23 +0800, Oldus Fartus
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> You aren't serious are you? Have you thought about just taking one
    >>> out of a cover and measuring it?
    >>>

    >> yes i have. but it doesnt seem to be a standard printer size.
    >> it isnt a4, b4 , letter or legal so what is it ?
    >> i am assuming it has a standard name.
    >> should i just print to a4 and then cut it ??
    >>

    >No, it isn't a standard size so you either have to do as Joshua suggested,
    >or else print it on A4 and cut to size.

    >>> Any shop which sells inkjet printer paper.

    >> what should i ask for ?

    >Depends on the quality you want. I do transfers to DVD for a wedding
    >photographer and we use photo quality inkjet paper (the glossy one), but
    >for my own use I normally just use the premium inkjet paper.

    can you tell me how many gsm that is ?

    , May 14, 2004
  10. Oldus Fartus Guest

    wrote:

    >> Depends on the quality you want. I do transfers to DVD for a
    >> wedding photographer and we use photo quality inkjet paper (the
    >> glossy one), but for my own use I normally just use the premium
    >> inkjet paper.

    > can you tell me how many gsm that is ?

    If using glossy, depending on whether I buy a brand name or generic it
    varies between 150 and 170gsm, and the semi gloss is either 95gsm or 100gsm.
    The bright white I use is 90gsm.

    The prices I pay are pretty meaningless to you in the UK as I am in
    Australia. The best savings are buying in minimum orders of 500 sheets.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 14, 2004
  11. Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 21:43:34 +0800, "Oldus Fartus"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Depends on the quality you want. I do transfers to DVD for a
    >>> wedding photographer and we use photo quality inkjet paper (the
    >>> glossy one), but for my own use I normally just use the premium
    >>> inkjet paper.

    >> can you tell me how many gsm that is ?

    >If using glossy, depending on whether I buy a brand name or generic it
    >varies between 150 and 170gsm, and the semi gloss is either 95gsm or 100gsm.
    >The bright white I use is 90gsm.

    thanks.

    , May 14, 2004
  12. On Fri, 14 May 2004 wrote:

    > out of interest where do you buy your paper and how much do you pay ?

    I get mine from this place in Slough. But the salesman's a total berk.

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, May 14, 2004
  13. Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 12:40:46 -0300, Stephen Cooke
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 14 May 2004 wrote:
    >
    >> out of interest where do you buy your paper and how much do you pay ?

    >I get mine from this place in Slough. But the salesman's a total berk.

    i know him . watcha .

    , May 14, 2004
  14. Bratboy Guest

    I guess I do things the simple way. I either DL a cover from a site. open a
    legal size pg in Corel. Paste the image and print it out to a high qual
    ultrabright inkjet pg. If its one where Im makeing my own I have a template
    I made by takeing a scan pasting it and setting guidelines to its edges that
    I use. Either way you then have to trim it of course.

    Bratboy, May 14, 2004
  15. Joshua Zyber Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > >There are other printing suggestions/instructions at

    www.dvdcoverart.com

    > thanks joshua.
    > out of interest where do you buy your paper and how much do you pay ?

    I just bought mine at the local Best Buy (big electronics chain). Forget
    how much I paid. Would be in USD anyway. Probably not much use to you.

    For what it's worth, the brand I bought was HP Everyday Semi-Gloss Photo
    Paper. 165 gsm.

    Joshua Zyber, May 15, 2004
  16. Rob Guest

    I use an ink jet borderless printer - the 10.8" width for a standard DVD
    keepcase prints very nicely on photo quality 8.5 x 11 paper. I have yet to
    find a source for legal size (8.5 x 14) photo quality paper.

    Also check out
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=4188869980&r
    d=1&ssPageName=WDVW.

    I have done some business with this seller and everything was first class.

    Rob
    Canada

    Rob, May 15, 2004
  17. FredBillie Guest

    << From: "Bratboy"
    Date: Fri, May 14, 2004 2:27 PM

    > On Fri, 14 May 2004 11:23:19 +0100, wrote:
    >
    >>I need some help.
    >>
    >>what size are DVD covers for single DVDs ??
    >>
    >>where can I get the right quality paper in the UK ?
    >>

    > We have a business doing video scrapbooks, and doing the covers was
    > looking to be a hassle. What we settled on was using 67lb(bristol
    > cover) white cover stock, 11x17 tabloid size, and using a Carl Bidex
    > 15 inch paper trimmer to, first, resize the paper to fit our printer,
    > and then to cut it down to final size. We also use SureThing to design
    > the covers, using Photoshop Elements v. 2, Paint shop Pro, as well as
    > a host of other various and sundry programs.
    > Hope that helps.

    >><BR><BR>

    I do it a little simpler and cheaper. DVD cases are a heck of a lot more
    expensive than CD cases. I simply use CD cases and take a still of a pertinent
    part of the Video and print to a 4.8X4.8 inch size. Can print two on 8.5X11
    inch paper. Storing the DVDs from my Panasonic DMR-HS2 is then easier also
    because I can store quite a bit more of the CD (DVD) cases in the space used by
    a normal DVD case. For copies of a DVD (cable) movie for relatives or friends I
    go cheaper still by using the thin CD cases that you can get at Sam’s (100
    for about $11).

    FredBillie, May 15, 2004
  18. Craig Guest

    Stephen Cooke wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 May 2004 wrote:
    >

    >>out of interest where do you buy your paper and how much do you pay ?

    > I get mine from this place in Slough. But the salesman's a total berk.
    >
    > swac

    Just reading this post made me laugh! Ma-nuh-ma-nuh!

    Craig

    Craig, May 16, 2004