    to print something that will show the title on the narrow spine and
    title plus additional text on the front.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Sep 2, 2006

  2. Stan Brown

    Mikey Guest

    Mikey, Sep 2, 2006

  3. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    Sat, 02 Sep 2006 21:57:27 GMT from Mikey <>:
    > I use CoverXP.
    >
    > Love it., simple and small.
    >
    > http://www.coverxp.com/main.asp

    Thanks for the response, Mikey. But the forum mentions problems with
    printing spines, and the spine is the most important part to me. (I
    don't care at all about cover art.) Also I'm a bit nervous about teh
    adware.

    Anyone? Even a MS-Word template would do -- what I want mainly is
    something that will let me see from the spine which DVD is which,
    without pulling the care off the shelf. Bear in mind that these are
    slim-style cases.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Sep 3, 2006
  4. Stan Brown

    Guest

    Stan Brown wrote:

    > Anyone know of a program, or even a MS-Word template, for printing
    > inserts for slim DVD cases? I could measure everything and tweak
    > fonts, but if someone else has already done all that I'd like to
    > avoid reinventing the wheel,

    I use MS Excel.

    , Sep 3, 2006
  5. Stan Brown

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Stan Brown <> wrote:
    >Sat, 02 Sep 2006 21:57:27 GMT from Mikey <>:
    >> I use CoverXP.
    >>
    >> Love it., simple and small.
    >>
    >> http://www.coverxp.com/main.asp

    >Thanks for the response, Mikey. But the forum mentions problems with
    >printing spines, and the spine is the most important part to me. (I
    >don't care at all about cover art.) Also I'm a bit nervous about teh
    >adware.
    >
    >Anyone? Even a MS-Word template would do -- what I want mainly is
    >something that will let me see from the spine which DVD is which,
    >without pulling the care off the shelf. Bear in mind that these are
    >slim-style cases.

    Free is here
    http://www.edgewise-media.com/frtedo.html

    Here is the direct link
    http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/edgewisemedia/slimdvdcaseinserts-tem.doc

    GMAN, Sep 3, 2006
  6. Stan Brown

    John Howells Guest

    <> wrote

    > I use MS Excel.

    Ditto. I tried Word but found Excel much easier.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Sep 3, 2006
  7. "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone know of a program, or even a MS-Word template, for printing
    > inserts for slim DVD cases? I could measure everything and tweak
    > fonts, but if someone else has already done all that I'd like to
    > avoid reinventing the wheel,
    >
    > These are DVDs I burned myself, making copies of VHS tapes. I don't
    > care about cover art, since I have a B&W laser printer -- I just want
    > to print something that will show the title on the narrow spine and
    > title plus additional text on the front.

    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    > DVD FAQ: http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
    > other FAQs: http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/faqget.htm

    i dont know what sw u use for your drive, but I have Nero, and part of it is
    printing covers, cd's, and inserts. Prints on to A4.

    To print direct to cd using a suitable printer, its better to use the
    printer software to print on cd.

    hth

    Neil - Usenet, Sep 3, 2006
  8. Stan Brown

    Galley Guest

    Stan Brown wrote:
    > Anyone know of a program, or even a MS-Word template, for printing
    > inserts for slim DVD cases? I could measure everything and tweak
    > fonts, but if someone else has already done all that I'd like to
    > avoid reinventing the wheel,
    >
    > These are DVDs I burned myself, making copies of VHS tapes. I don't
    > care about cover art, since I have a B&W laser printer -- I just want
    > to print something that will show the title on the narrow spine and
    > title plus additional text on the front.
    >
    > --

    I have a hard time believing that neither Neato or Memorex has produced
    blank slimline covers. I've got a simple template that I use with
    GoBeProductive.

    Galley, Sep 4, 2006
  9. Stan Brown

    Gary Guest

    Try the program cdrLabel...I print slimline inserts all the time.

    Gary, Sep 4, 2006
  10. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    Sun, 03 Sep 2006 14:29:56 GMT from GMAN <>:

    > Free is here
    > http://www.edgewise-media.com/frtedo.html
    >
    > Here is the direct link
    > http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/edgewisemedia/slimdvdcaseinserts-tem.doc

    Thanks for the link.

    I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but how do I use that
    template? There seems to be just one big undifferentiated text box,
    which would print all text sideways relative to the case.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Sep 4, 2006
  11. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    Sun, 3 Sep 2006 17:49:20 +0100 from John Howells <john@howells-
    99.freeserve.co.uk>:
    > <> wrote
    >
    > > I use MS Excel.

    > Ditto. I tried Word but found Excel much easier.
    >
    > John Howells

    Would you care to share a sample file? Maybe I'm just stupid today,
    but I can't see how to do the formatting comfortably in Excel.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Sep 4, 2006
  12. Stan Brown

    John Howells Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote

    > Would you care to share a sample file? Maybe I'm just stupid today,
    > but I can't see how to do the formatting comfortably in Excel.

    I tried to add an example here, but I don't think it got through.

    Anyway, in this case the printable area is set for rows 1 to 42 and columns
    A to O, with the row height at 12.5 and the column width at 8.71, except for
    column H which is the spine, and 5.86 wide. For column H you select all the
    cells in the printable area and "merge" them, and in "format cells" you set
    the text rotation to -90 degrees, so that whatever goes in the spine area is
    automatically printed vertically.

    In my case got cells I10 to O20 merged to form a title space on the front
    cover, with a 16pt font, and cells I28 to O33 merged for any other relevant
    information, such as the original source, with a 12pt font. If I've got more
    than one episode column B contains the episode number and column D contains
    the title, which will automatically flow into columns E to G. I can make
    column C narrower as long as another cell on the left of the spine area is
    widened to compensate.

    After that you've got the myriad options to handle cells available to
    produce whatever format you want, within the limits that Excel allows. Of
    course, you could not produce professional grade covers this way, but it
    more than fits the OP's requirements.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Sep 4, 2006
  13. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    Mon, 4 Sep 2006 19:52:46 +0100 from John Howells <john@howells-
    99.freeserve.co.uk>:

    > "Stan Brown" <> wrote
    >
    > > Would you care to share a sample file? Maybe I'm just stupid today,
    > > but I can't see how to do the formatting comfortably in Excel.

    > I tried to add an example here, but I don't think it got through.

    Sorry -- I had assumed you'd email it. But your directions were clear
    and easy to follow.

    Thanks very much!

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Sep 4, 2006
  14. Stan Brown

    John Howells Guest

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote

    > Sorry -- I had assumed you'd email it. But your directions were clear
    > and easy to follow.
    >
    > Thanks very much!

    P.S. If I had been able to post the file you would have also seen that I
    selected the whole printable area and then enabled the "border" with a light
    grey dotted line to provide crop marks when printed.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Sep 5, 2006
  15. Stan Brown

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Stan Brown <> wrote:
    >Sun, 03 Sep 2006 14:29:56 GMT from GMAN <>:
    >
    >> Free is here
    >> http://www.edgewise-media.com/frtedo.html
    >>
    >> Here is the direct link
    >> http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/edgewisemedia/slimdvdcaseinserts-tem.doc

    >Thanks for the link.
    >
    >I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but how do I use that
    >template? There seems to be just one big undifferentiated text box,
    >which would print all text sideways relative to the case.

    Yup, just tried it myself. What a useless template that is!!!!

    GMAN, Sep 5, 2006
  16. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    Tue, 5 Sep 2006 01:50:59 +0100 from John Howells <john@howells-
    99.freeserve.co.uk>:

    > "Stan Brown" <> wrote
    >
    > > Sorry -- I had assumed you'd email it. But your directions were clear
    > > and easy to follow.
    > >
    > > Thanks very much!

    > P.S. If I had been able to post the file you would have also seen that I
    > selected the whole printable area and then enabled the "border" with a light
    > grey dotted line to provide crop marks when printed.

    Yep, I figured that out on my own. Great minds, and all that... :)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Sep 5, 2006
  17. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    Tue, 05 Sep 2006 07:15:16 GMT from GMAN <>:
    > In article <>, Stan Brown <> wrote:
    > >Sun, 03 Sep 2006 14:29:56 GMT from GMAN <>:
    > >
    > >> Free is here
    > >> http://www.edgewise-media.com/frtedo.html
    > >>
    > >> Here is the direct link
    > >> http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/edgewisemedia/slimdvdcaseinserts-tem.doc

    > >Thanks for the link.
    > >
    > >I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but how do I use that
    > >template? There seems to be just one big undifferentiated text box,
    > >which would print all text sideways relative to the case.
    > >

    > Yup, just tried it myself. What a useless template that is!!!!

    Thanks for the confirmation. Luckily John Howells posted clear
    directions to create an Excel printable one.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Sep 5, 2006
  18. Stan Brown

    Sam Lowry Guest

    On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 16:07:22 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:

    > Anyone know of a program, or even a MS-Word template, for printing
    > inserts for slim DVD cases? I could measure everything and tweak
    > fonts, but if someone else has already done all that I'd like to
    > avoid reinventing the wheel,

    I would avoid using Word, it is a word-processor NOT layout software.

    I use Adobe InDesign myself but even PhotoShop would be a better choice
    than Word.

    I don't like the slim cases myself so can't offer to mail one of my
    templates but here are good places to look:
    http://www.keyproduction.co.uk/Artwork/specs.html
    http://www.kopieer-cd.be/dtp-area/templates.jsp
    and the Adobe site, but I cant find a direct link in my bookmarks for
    there.

    -SL

    Sam Lowry, Sep 7, 2006
  19. Stan Brown

    Ron Palmer Guest

    Sam Lowry wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 16:07:22 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone know of a program, or even a MS-Word template, for printing
    >> inserts for slim DVD cases? I could measure everything and tweak
    >> fonts, but if someone else has already done all that I'd like to
    >> avoid reinventing the wheel,

    > I would avoid using Word, it is a word-processor NOT layout software.
    >
    > I use Adobe InDesign myself but even PhotoShop would be a better choice
    > than Word.
    >
    > I don't like the slim cases myself so can't offer to mail one of my
    > templates but here are good places to look:
    > http://www.keyproduction.co.uk/Artwork/specs.html
    > http://www.kopieer-cd.be/dtp-area/templates.jsp
    > and the Adobe site, but I cant find a direct link in my bookmarks for
    > there.
    >
    > -SL

    Acoustica CD Label Maker is just what u want

    Ron Palmer, Sep 9, 2006
  20. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    The original has fallen off the edge of the server, so I can't follow
    up to it directly, but I'd like to say another thank-you to John
    Howells for responding to my original query.

    With his hints, I made a basic template. Today I finally had time to
    tweak it a bit and start printing some inserts. You saved me a lot of
    time, John; thanks!

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Sep 17, 2006