Printing custom DVD cover at 10-11/16 by 7-3/16 inches

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sondra R. Wilson, Aug 14, 2005.

  1. Do you know how to print a custom DVD cover the correct size?
    7.2 by 10.7 inches

    We're creating an hour-long self-playing autostart DVD from numerous
    mpg, mov, avi, and wmv files on Windows XP to hand in with a DVD case
    adorned with a perfectly fitting professional looking custom DVD cover
    for an Art 101 final project next Thursday morning.

    Measuring a professional DVD cover at 7 & 3/16 inches tall by 10 &
    11/16 inches long (18.25 x 27.15 cm), we seem to need a printing ratio
    of 1.5 to 1 to properly fit a DVD cover.

    So we hand crafted our custom DVD project cover to that 1.5 aspect
    ratio by cropping at 992 x 1488 pixels (after having downloaded a few
    DVD test covers from http://www.cdcovers.cc for sizing purposes).

    In the freeware Irfanview 3.97 printing dialog, we've set the custom
    print size to 7.2 by 10.7 inches (with top and left margins set to
    zero) - but the resulting image on an 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of paper in
    an HP OfficeJet 145 printer is always a quarter inch too small on the
    length (i.e., it always prints at 7.2 x 10.5 inches no matter what we
    do).

    Running a few tests on both the length and width settings, it appears
    the HP officejet printer "reserves" 1/2 inch of the margins (even when
    all margins are set to zero) such that the largest size this printer
    will print appears to be 8 x 10.5 inches.

    But maybe there is a way to override this half-inch HP-reserved
    margin?

    Do you know how to print a DVD cover to 7.2 x 10.7 inches on this HP
    OfficeJet 145 color printer? Can the HP officejet print greater than
    10.5 inches in length on standard-size 11-inch photographic paper?
    Sondra R. Wilson, Aug 14, 2005

  2. Sondra R. Wilson

    Abe Guest

    >Do you know how to print a DVD cover to 7.2 x 10.7 inches on the HP
    >OfficeJet 145 color printer? Can the HP officejet print greater than
    >10.5 inches in length on standard-size 11-inch photographic paper?

    -------
    The OfficeJet 145 printers don't support printing to the edge, 10.5"
    is the best you'll get on 11" paper. You'll need to use 14" paper and
    cut it down after printing.
    Abe, Aug 14, 2005

  3. Sondra R. Wilson

    Jan B Guest

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:57:14 GMT, Sondra R. Wilson
    <> wrote:

    >Do you know how to print a custom DVD cover the correct size?
    > 7.2 by 10.7 inches

    >Running a few tests on both the length and width settings, it appears
    >the HP officejet printer "reserves" 1/2 inch of the margins (even when
    >all margins are set to zero) such that the largest size this printer
    >will print appears to be 8 x 10.5 inches.
    >
    >But maybe there is a way to override this half-inch HP-reserved
    >margin?

    It is usual for HP ink models that you loose 1/2" because it needs to
    hold the paper.
    If your longest paper is 11", you have a problem.
    (I'm in Europe and use "A4" sized paper wich is longer.)

    Work-around suggestions:
    *Use a CD-box instead (just remember to include a DVD-Video marking
    somewhere).
    or
    *Cut and join the paper with thin double sided adhesive at the DVD-box
    backside corner (glue might miscolour the printing).
    /Jan
    Jan B, Aug 14, 2005
  4. Sondra R. Wilson

    Mark² Guest

    "Sondra R. Wilson" <> wrote in message
    > Do you know how to print a custom DVD cover the correct size?
    > 7.2 by 10.7 inches
    >
    > We're creating an hour-long self-playing autostart DVD from numerous
    > mpg, mov, avi, and wmv files on Windows XP to hand in with a DVD case
    > adorned with a perfectly fitting professional looking custom DVD cover
    > for an Art 101 final project next Thursday morning.
    >
    > Measuring a professional DVD cover at 7 & 3/16 inches tall by 10 &
    > 11/16 inches long (18.25 x 27.15 cm), we seem to need a printing ratio
    > of 1.5 to 1 to properly fit a DVD cover.
    >
    > So we hand crafted our custom DVD project cover to that 1.5 aspect
    > ratio by cropping at 992 x 1488 pixels (after having downloaded a few
    > DVD test covers from http://www.cdcovers.cc for sizing purposes).
    >
    > In the freeware Irfanview 3.97 printing dialog, we've set the custom
    > print size to 7.2 by 10.7 inches (with top and left margins set to
    > zero) - but the resulting image on an 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of paper in
    > an HP OfficeJet 145 printer is always a quarter inch too small on the
    > length (i.e., it always prints at 7.2 x 10.5 inches no matter what we
    > do).
    >
    > Running a few tests on both the length and width settings, it appears
    > the HP officejet printer "reserves" 1/2 inch of the margins (even when
    > all margins are set to zero) such that the largest size this printer
    > will print appears to be 8 x 10.5 inches.
    >
    > But maybe there is a way to override this half-inch HP-reserved
    > margin?
    >
    > Do you know how to print a DVD cover to 7.2 x 10.7 inches on this HP
    > OfficeJet 145 color printer? Can the HP officejet print greater than
    > 10.5 inches in length on standard-size 11-inch photographic paper?

    Legal size paper that is photo quality seems non-existant in the
    marketplace...so...
    ....If you can't find photo quality legal sized paper, then purchase larger
    format photo sheets and cut them to legal size so that your printer can
    handle the width. Then just make sure you designate your original document
    page setup as legal (8.5x14).
    This will get you the result you are looking for with room to spare.
    Mark², Aug 14, 2005
  5. Sondra R. Wilson

    Steve Guest

    You could also try checking the borderless print option in the HP's setup
    menu. I've been printing some 4x6's that way and its worked fine.

    Steve

    Steve, Aug 14, 2005
  6. Sondra R. Wilson

    Mark² Guest

    "Steve @verizon.net>" <sckenney<rmv this> wrote in message
    > You could also try checking the borderless print option in the HP's setup
    > menu. I've been printing some 4x6's that way and its worked fine.

    I don't think his HP can do that.
    Most HP printers can't.
    -Glad yours can!
    :)

    Mark², Aug 14, 2005
  7. Sondra R. Wilson

    GuessWho Guest

    GuessWho, Aug 14, 2005
  8. Sondra R. Wilson

    Marvin Guest

    Sondra R. Wilson wrote:
    <snip>int appears to be 8 x 10.5 inches.

    > But maybe there is a way to override this half-inch HP-reserved
    > margin?
    >
    > Do you know how to print a DVD cover to 7.2 x 10.7 inches on this HP
    > OfficeJet 145 color printer? Can the HP officejet print greater than
    > 10.5 inches in length on standard-size 11-inch photographic paper?

    No it can't. It needs that margin to hold the paper in place as it nears the end of the
    printed area. Perhaps you can temporarily mount the photo paper on 8 1/2 X 14" paper. Or
    permanently, if you can hand in the work that way.
    Marvin, Aug 14, 2005
  9. On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:32:02 -0400, Marvin <>
    wrote:

    >> Do you know how to print a DVD cover to 7.2 x 10.7 inches on this HP
    >> OfficeJet 145 color printer? Can the HP officejet print greater than
    >> 10.5 inches in length on standard-size 11-inch photographic paper?

    > No it can't. The HP OJ needs that margin to hold the paper in place
    > Perhaps you can mount the photo paper on 8 1/2 X 14" paper.

    Well, since the most obvious approach (of eliminating the 1/2 inch HP
    margin) failed ... I wonder if we can "trick" the HP OJ 145 into
    "thinking" it has legal-sized photographic paper installed?

    That is, do you think we can "tell" the printer it has legal size
    paper but then actually print on letter-sized paper?

    I would think it would be our responsibility to make sure the actual
    print didn't go over the actual size of the paper but that would seem
    to be easy since we're using Irfanview to "tell" the printer to limit
    the size of the printout to 7.2 by 10.7 inches.

    Since we can't be the first people in the USA to want to print a DVD
    cover on an HP OfficeJet, we wonder if this approach of telling the
    printer it has larger paper than it really has will work? Do you think
    it stands a chance? Before we try it, we should ask if you think
    damage can occur (we will limit the print size to 7.2 x 10.7 inches
    which is smaller than the actual size of the paper).

    Does this look like it will work?
    Sondra R. Wilson, Aug 14, 2005
  10. Sondra R. Wilson

    Large Farva Guest

    > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:32:02 -0400, Marvin <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Do you know how to print a DVD cover to 7.2 x 10.7 inches on this HP
    >>> OfficeJet 145 color printer? Can the HP officejet print greater than
    >>> 10.5 inches in length on standard-size 11-inch photographic paper?

    >> No it can't. The HP OJ needs that margin to hold the paper in place
    >> Perhaps you can mount the photo paper on 8 1/2 X 14" paper.

    > Well, since the most obvious approach (of eliminating the 1/2 inch HP
    > margin) failed ... I wonder if we can "trick" the HP OJ 145 into
    > "thinking" it has legal-sized photographic paper installed?
    >
    > That is, do you think we can "tell" the printer it has legal size
    > paper but then actually print on letter-sized paper?
    >
    > I would think it would be our responsibility to make sure the actual
    > print didn't go over the actual size of the paper but that would seem
    > to be easy since we're using Irfanview to "tell" the printer to limit
    > the size of the printout to 7.2 by 10.7 inches.
    >
    > Since we can't be the first people in the USA to want to print a DVD
    > cover on an HP OfficeJet, we wonder if this approach of telling the
    > printer it has larger paper than it really has will work? Do you think
    > it stands a chance? Before we try it, we should ask if you think
    > damage can occur (we will limit the print size to 7.2 x 10.7 inches
    > which is smaller than the actual size of the paper).
    >
    > Does this look like it will work?

    No that won't work, you can't trick the printer. Personally I just use 8.5 x
    14 Epson photo quality paper. It's not the thick glossy paper (which is
    glossy cardstock) but it's thinner paper with a sligtly glossy coating, it's
    thickness is like 2 sheets of normal paper. It works great.
    Large Farva, Aug 14, 2005
  11. Sondra R. Wilson

    Matt Ion Guest

    Sondra R. Wilson wrote:

    > Running a few tests on both the length and width settings, it appears
    > the HP officejet printer "reserves" 1/2 inch of the margins (even when
    > all margins are set to zero) such that the largest size this printer
    > will print appears to be 8 x 10.5 inches.
    >
    > But maybe there is a way to override this half-inch HP-reserved
    > margin?

    My little OfficeJet v40 doesn't seem to have this limitation.

    As someone else noted, you could try telling it you have legal-size
    paper - the printer should then start with its oversized margin at the
    top of the page but go the past it at the bottom. It MAY complain that
    it's out of paper once it's done printing, but that can just be dismissed.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0532-6, 08/13/2005
    Tested on: 8/14/2005 10:59:29 AM
    Matt Ion, Aug 14, 2005
  12. Sondra R. Wilson

    Metal Oxide Guest

    coverxp works great for me
    and as guess who said its free
    Metal Oxide, Aug 14, 2005
  13. Sondra R. Wilson

    Joe Guest

    Sondra R. Wilson <> wrote:

    > Do you know how to print a custom DVD cover the correct size?
    > 7.2 by 10.7 inches
    >
    > We're creating an hour-long self-playing autostart DVD from numerous
    > mpg, mov, avi, and wmv files on Windows XP to hand in with a DVD case
    > adorned with a perfectly fitting professional looking custom DVD cover
    > for an Art 101 final project next Thursday morning.
    >
    > Measuring a professional DVD cover at 7 & 3/16 inches tall by 10 &
    > 11/16 inches long (18.25 x 27.15 cm), we seem to need a printing ratio
    > of 1.5 to 1 to properly fit a DVD cover.

    Hmmm... I don't know exactly the size of standard DVD cover, but if yours
    is standard then I would suggest SureThing (www.surething.com)

    Yes, there are lot of CD/DVD label printing programs out there (even
    bundle with CD/DVD cover printer like Epson), but the problem that many
    program will either Squeeze or Stretch the photo to fit the size of label
    you select it makes the photo either too fat/thin. SureThing in other hand
    will keep the exact RATIO, and it supports many different label format and
    even CD/DVD cover printers.
    Joe, Aug 14, 2005
  14. Sondra R. Wilson

    Marvin Guest

    Sondra R. Wilson wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:32:02 -0400, Marvin <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>>Do you know how to print a DVD cover to 7.2 x 10.7 inches on this HP
    >>>OfficeJet 145 color printer? Can the HP officejet print greater than
    >>>10.5 inches in length on standard-size 11-inch photographic paper?

    >>No it can't. The HP OJ needs that margin to hold the paper in place
    >>Perhaps you can mount the photo paper on 8 1/2 X 14" paper.

    > Well, since the most obvious approach (of eliminating the 1/2 inch HP
    > margin) failed ... I wonder if we can "trick" the HP OJ 145 into
    > "thinking" it has legal-sized photographic paper installed?
    >
    > That is, do you think we can "tell" the printer it has legal size
    > paper but then actually print on letter-sized paper?

    If you do that, the paper is likely to move while you are printing the last half inch of
    your image. You won't be happy with the reuslt. But you are free to try it for yourself.

    > I would think it would be our responsibility to make sure the actual
    > print didn't go over the actual size of the paper but that would seem
    > to be easy since we're using Irfanview to "tell" the printer to limit
    > the size of the printout to 7.2 by 10.7 inches.
    >
    > Since we can't be the first people in the USA to want to print a DVD
    > cover on an HP OfficeJet, we wonder if this approach of telling the
    > printer it has larger paper than it really has will work? Do you think
    > it stands a chance? Before we try it, we should ask if you think
    > damage can occur (we will limit the print size to 7.2 x 10.7 inches
    > which is smaller than the actual size of the paper).

    The only possible damage is that you'll spray a little ink on parts of the printer. At
    worst, you'll have to spend some time cleaning up.

    > Does this look like it will work?

    I think it is better to know what is possible and find a way to work within the
    constraints. A computer or printer can be very stubborn.
    Marvin, Aug 15, 2005
  15. Sondra R. Wilson

    Ro Guest

    I use Nero cover designer, its quite simple. I got fed up with my HP
    printer reducing the size of the cover but Epson one did it perfectly
    without the need for messing around with settings.
    Ro, Aug 16, 2005
  16. Sondra R. Wilson

    Pamela D. Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:28:38 -0400, Marvin wrote:
    >> Do you know how to print a DVD cover to 7.2 x 10.7 inches on this HP
    >> OfficeJet 145 color printer? Can the HP officejet print greater than
    >> 10.5 inches in length on standard-size 11-inch photographic paper?
    >>>

    > No it can't. The HP OJ needs that margin to hold the paper in place
    > Perhaps you can mount the photo paper on 8 1/2 X 14" paper.

    >> That is, do you think we can "tell" the printer it has legal size
    >> paper but then actually print on letter-sized paper?

    > If you do that, the paper is likely to move while you are printing the last half inch of
    > your image. You won't be happy with the reuslt. But you are free to try it for yourself.

    >> Before we try it, we should ask if you think damage can occur

    > The only possible damage is that you'll spray a little ink on parts
    > of the printer.

    Bob Headrick would know better than I but I believe HP printers CAN be
    "tricked" into printing a DVD cover at 7.2 x 10.7 inches on WinXP. Almost.

    I print DVD covers all the time on my HPOJD145 from COSTCO. It isn't easy
    as this HP printer insists on having a quarter inch margin on all sides no
    matter what software I seem to use. This empirical result tells me that NO
    SOFTWARE can make the HP printer behave with respect to printing a 7.2 x
    10.7 DVD cover on 8.5 x 11 inch photographic paper. (Bob Headrick correct
    me if I'm wrong).

    So all those prior suggestions for software to somehow properly "size" your
    DVD cover for printing purposes are all wrong as far as I can tell.

    So how do I do it?

    I simply tell the Hewlett Packard Office Jet 145 that the photographic
    paper is legal size paper. This little white lie allows me to print, in
    Irfanview, to what Irfanview says is 7.2 x 10.7 inches. Actually, it turns
    out that there is STILL a slight margin (about 1/16 of an inch) so instead
    of a 10.5 inch limit on HP printers, by telling my little white paper-size
    lie, I can bump that limit up to about 10.6 inches (but not 10.7).

    To repeat:
    Using Irfanview to print to a setting of letter size, the best I can do to
    print a DVD cover is 7.2 x 10.5 inches on the HP Office Jet printer.

    Using Irfanview to print to a setting of legal size, I can get an extra
    tenth or two to get about 7.2 x 10.6 inches (10.7 but with a 1/16 inch
    white margin).

    To minimize the white margin where it counts, I print the DVD cover UPSIDE
    DOWN and ROTATED (that is, the bottom left corner is flipped with Irfanview
    lossless rotation to be on the top left corner). Notice the DVD cover is
    NOT CENTERED. It is in the top-left corner.

    Rotating and off-centering the DVD cover and lieing to HP about the paper
    size allows a print on the HP officejet that has the smallest margin
    possible on the most important edge (the right edge of a DVD cover).

    There should be absolutely no danger of spraying ink past the edges as you
    are always below the real 8.5 x 11 inch size of the physical paper.

    Bob Headrick may contradict anything I say here as he actually knows what
    he's talking about. I just do print DVD covers and this is the approach I
    use to get as close to 7.2 x 10.7 inches out of a letter-size paper on an
    HP OfficeJet printer as possible (which is about 7.2 x 10.6 inches).
    Pamela D., Aug 16, 2005
  17. Sondra R. Wilson

    Pamela D. Guest

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:42:28 -0500, Joe wrote:
    > Sondra R. Wilson <> wrote:
    >> Do you know how to print a custom DVD cover the correct size?
    >> 7.2 by 10.7 inches on an hp office jet d145 printer?

    > Hmmm... I don't know exactly the size of standard DVD cover, but if
    > yours is standard then I would suggest SureThing (www.surething.com)
    >
    > Yes, there are lot of CD/DVD label printing programs out there (even
    > bundle with CD/DVD cover printer like Epson), but the problem that many
    > program will either Squeeze or Stretch the photo to fit the size of label
    > you select it makes the photo either too fat/thin. SureThing in other =
    > hand will keep the exact RATIO, and it supports many different label format =
    > and even CD/DVD cover printers.

    I would like to repeat I don't think this limitation on HP printers to be
    unable to print a DVD cover on letter-size photographic paper has anything
    to do with software. I think it's a hardware limitation.

    The OP clearly said she was using Irfanview to "size" the DVD cover to 7.2
    x 10.7 inches. Yet the HP printer insists on a 1/4 inch margin (or so) on
    all sides. That limits the size of the DVD cover to 7.2 x 10.5 inches
    (which is visibly more than a quarter inch too short when placed in a DVD
    case).

    I noticed that if I use Irfanview to size my printing of DVD covers, if I
    have the photographic paper set to "letter", the largest size I can get is
    10.5 inches actually printed with a 1/4 inch margin on all sides.

    But if I tell a little white lie and set the paper to "legal" (and if I
    flip and off-center the DVD cover), then I can get the printer driver to
    "report" 10.5 inches and print something less than 10.5 inches.

    Notice the difference:
    - The HP printer driver now "says" it will print the DVD cover at 10.7
    inches with legal size settings (it wouldn't say anything larger than 10.5
    with letter size settings).
    - The actual printing is slightly larger with legal size settings, but
    there is still that 1/4 inch margin on all sides which effectively reduces
    the 10.7 inches to about 10.6 inches.

    So, you gain 1/10 of an inch by telling the HP printer driver it is using
    legal-sized photographic paper. I don't see any downside other than you
    still don't get the full 10.7 inches you were promised.

    As always, Bob Headrick knows more than I so he can countermand anything I
    say here.
    Pamela D., Aug 16, 2005
  18. Sondra R. Wilson

    Pamela D. Guest

    > To minimize the white margin where it counts, I print the DVD cover UPSIDE
    > DOWN and ROTATED (that is, the bottom left corner is flipped with Irfanview
    > lossless rotation to be on the top left corner). Notice the DVD cover is
    > NOT CENTERED. It is in the top-left corner.

    Correction:
    In Irfanview, I losslessly flip the DVD cover JPEG image 180 degrees so
    that the bottom right corner is now in the top left corner. I then print it
    without centering so that the right side of the resulting DVD cover has the
    smallest margin possible which is about 1/16 inch extra (for some reason)
    if I tell the HP OJ D145 printer driver that the paper is legal size.
    Otherwise the margin is about 1/4 inch if I tell the truth about the letter
    size paper.

    Why it works to get me an extra 1/16 inch and why it doesn't get the
    complete 10.7 inches is beyond my knowledge but someone on this NG should
    know the answer to those technical questions.
    Pamela D., Aug 16, 2005
  19. Sondra R. Wilson

    Mark² Guest

    "Pamela D." <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:42:28 -0500, Joe wrote:
    >> Sondra R. Wilson <> wrote:
    >>> Do you know how to print a custom DVD cover the correct size?
    >>> 7.2 by 10.7 inches on an hp office jet d145 printer?

    >> Hmmm... I don't know exactly the size of standard DVD cover, but if
    >> yours is standard then I would suggest SureThing (www.surething.com)
    >>
    >> Yes, there are lot of CD/DVD label printing programs out there (even
    >> bundle with CD/DVD cover printer like Epson), but the problem that many
    >> program will either Squeeze or Stretch the photo to fit the size of label
    >> you select it makes the photo either too fat/thin. SureThing in other =
    >> hand will keep the exact RATIO, and it supports many different label
    >> format =
    >> and even CD/DVD cover printers.

    > I would like to repeat I don't think this limitation on HP printers to be
    > unable to print a DVD cover on letter-size photographic paper has anything
    > to do with software. I think it's a hardware limitation.
    >
    > The OP clearly said she was using Irfanview to "size" the DVD cover to 7.2
    > x 10.7 inches. Yet the HP printer insists on a 1/4 inch margin (or so) on
    > all sides. That limits the size of the DVD cover to 7.2 x 10.5 inches
    > (which is visibly more than a quarter inch too short when placed in a DVD
    > case).
    >
    > I noticed that if I use Irfanview to size my printing of DVD covers, if I
    > have the photographic paper set to "letter", the largest size I can get is
    > 10.5 inches actually printed with a 1/4 inch margin on all sides.
    >
    > But if I tell a little white lie and set the paper to "legal" (and if I
    > flip and off-center the DVD cover), then I can get the printer driver to
    > "report" 10.5 inches and print something less than 10.5 inches.
    >
    > Notice the difference:
    > - The HP printer driver now "says" it will print the DVD cover at 10.7
    > inches with legal size settings (it wouldn't say anything larger than 10.5
    > with letter size settings).
    > - The actual printing is slightly larger with legal size settings, but
    > there is still that 1/4 inch margin on all sides which effectively reduces
    > the 10.7 inches to about 10.6 inches.
    >
    > So, you gain 1/10 of an inch by telling the HP printer driver it is using
    > legal-sized photographic paper. I don't see any downside other than you
    > still don't get the full 10.7 inches you were promised.
    >
    > As always, Bob Headrick knows more than I so he can countermand anything I
    > say here.

    Not all HP printers have the same physical requirements. They guide the
    paper differently depending on the model. Some simply cannot hold the paper
    once the print head gets that close to the back edge. Yours can, but that
    doesn't mean his can... Your trick would be worth a try, of course, as this
    will determine if *his* printer is able to handle it.
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  20. Sondra R. Wilson

    dave dave Guest

    use