    can go to get a ton of info on this topic.

    Thanks,

    Kev

    Kev, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Kev

    Sandy Guest

    Try Luminous Landscape

    Sandy, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Kev

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 00:51:00 GMT, Kev <> wrote:

    >Hello All,
    >
    >I have printed traditional B&W years ago and now I am getting into
    >doing ti digitally. Where is the best place to pick up some tips and
    >techniques? I hve been trying to do it but it just doesnt seem to
    >look right.
    >
    >They look a little flat, doesnt have the pop as a silver print. Maybe
    >it is just me. For color I have photoshop down and the images look
    >like the slides.
    >
    >But I am having a heck of a time with B&W. Please advise where one
    >can go to get a ton of info on this topic.
    >
    >Thanks,

    Do a web search on Piezography and on Paul Roarke.

    You basically need to dedicate a printer for this work,
    with special inks. There are two types of inksets: one
    is called "narrow gamut." The other is simply a set
    of four "shades" of black and gray; in either case these
    inks replace the normal CMYK (or CMYKcm) inks that
    are used for color.

    For the limited-gamut inksets, no special software is
    needed. For the shades-of-gray inksets, you need
    special software to drive your printer.

    It's quite an art to doing it right, but the results can
    be stunning.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Aug 7, 2003
  4. Kev

    gsum Guest

    If you're just desaturating, the results will not be
    very good. Photoshop with suitable filters will produce
    results which mimic the various B+W films.
    There are many freely available filters on the net.

    Graham

    gsum, Aug 7, 2003
  5. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Any link to start looking?

    Thanks,

    Kev

    Kev, Aug 7, 2003
  6. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Thanks checked them out but not much there.

    Thanks again,

    Kev

    Kev, Aug 7, 2003
  7. Kev

    gsum Guest

    Photoshop filters are easy to find but they vary
    greatly in quality.

    I do a search periodically. I have downloaded so many
    of these over the past few months that I can't be
    specific and I'm not at my home PC at the moment.
    One set which I think is called N1, contains B+W
    old photo effects which add grain (yuk?) and has
    graduated and sunlight filters which are very effective
    when use in conjunction with the B+W filters.

    I see from a parallel thread that you're asking about
    dedicating a 1270 and 7600 to B+W printing. I'm not
    sure what you mean and would be interested to know
    more as I use the 1290 and 7600 myself.

    Graham

    gsum, Aug 7, 2003
  8. Kev

    Savidge4 Guest

    I person am a HP plotter user. So the exact specifics of Epson function is out
    of my scope of knowledge.. I will share the ONE thing I have found to help
    greatly in the printing of B&W images with HP printers. That is to set in the
    printer DRIVER to print greyscale.

    Hope that helps!

    Savidge4, Aug 7, 2003
  9. Kev

    Steve James Guest

    Steve James, Aug 7, 2003
  10. Kev

    Rafe B. Guest

    Rafe B., Aug 7, 2003
  11. Kev

    Don Stauffer Guest

    There can be several problems. First is, what kind of a printer? Does
    it actually have a black ink, or is it one of the older printers that
    create black by combining the three colors?

    Second, and most important, we have the color matching or calibration
    problem. This is more than matching hue- it also covers matching
    contrast and brightness between monitor and printer.

    So, do prints look flat on both monitor AND printer, or only what comes
    from printer? If the later, you need to work on getting monitor and
    printer 'calibrated'.

    Also, if you are getting B & W from a digicam, are you selecting B & W
    images from camera, or downloading color and converting to grey scale in
    computer? This sometimes makes a difference.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Aug 7, 2003