printing a webpage

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Aug 1, 2005.

  1. In article <42edaa39$>, Nathan Mercer <> wrote:
    >Nova wrote:
    >> There are a few pages I want to print from a webpage.
    >> when I do a print preview in IE or Firefox it has cut the right part of
    >> the webpage off a bit and it also has split the webpage over two pages
    >> but it's only a couple of lines it wants to print on the second page..
    >>
    >> I cannot find a way to tell it to shrink it to fit on an a4 page...
    >> i tried setting the "fit to page" option in the printer settings but IE
    >> and firefox seem to ignore this...
    >>
    >> Anyone know what I can do?

    >For external pages (to fit on paper)
    >Use the build in PrintPreview. There are several options that allow you
    >to fit the content on the page
    >Change margins
    >Print Landscape
    >You can also select content of a WebPage. To do that right-click and
    >select print, and then click the “print selected” button in the print
    >menu. This will avoid chopping of content and safe paper (you don’t have
    >to print all adds and menus on a page)
    >
    >We are fixing this properly in IE7 (especially with Shrink-to-Fit)
    >Read this for more info
    >http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/07/31/445778.aspx

    This is good news indeed. This has always been a rather silly and tedious
    problem when reading/printing poorly designed web pages. Good to see that
    has been recognised.

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 1, 2005

  2. Bruce Sinclair

    Nova Guest

    There are a few pages I want to print from a webpage.
    when I do a print preview in IE or Firefox it has cut the right part of
    the webpage off a bit and it also has split the webpage over two pages
    but it's only a couple of lines it wants to print on the second page..

    I cannot find a way to tell it to shrink it to fit on an a4 page...
    i tried setting the "fit to page" option in the printer settings but IE
    and firefox seem to ignore this...

    Anyone know what I can do?

    I also would prefer not to have the URL printed on the pages etc..

    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

    Nova, Aug 1, 2005

  3. Bruce Sinclair

    Harry Guest

    Nova wrote:

    > There are a few pages I want to print from a webpage.
    > when I do a print preview in IE or Firefox it has cut the right part of
    > the webpage off a bit and it also has split the webpage over two pages
    > but it's only a couple of lines it wants to print on the second page..

    Go to page setup and select "shrink to fit poage width".

    > I cannot find a way to tell it to shrink it to fit on an a4 page...
    > i tried setting the "fit to page" option in the printer settings but IE
    > and firefox seem to ignore this...
    >
    > Anyone know what I can do?
    >
    > I also would prefer not to have the URL printed on the pages etc..

    Just go to page setup and remove the URL etc from header/footer.

    Don't use IE and the other half of your problems will disappear.

    Harry, Aug 1, 2005

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 1, 2005
  5. In article <42edaa39$>, Nathan Mercer <>
    wrote:

    >We are fixing this properly in IE7...

    You mean "We _will be_ fixing this properly in IE7".

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Aug 1, 2005
  6. In article <>, Nova <> wrote:

    >There are a few pages I want to print from a webpage.
    >when I do a print preview in IE or Firefox it has cut the right part of
    >the webpage off a bit and it also has split the webpage over two pages
    >but it's only a couple of lines it wants to print on the second page..
    >
    >I cannot find a way to tell it to shrink it to fit on an a4 page...
    >i tried setting the "fit to page" option in the printer settings but IE
    >and firefox seem to ignore this...

    What version of Firefox are you using? I'm running 1.0.4 on my SuSE 9.1
    box, "shrink to fit page width" is on by default, and all the Web pages
    I've tried looking at so far fit just fine within a single A4 page width.

    Which Web site are you looking at?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Aug 1, 2005
  7. Bruce Sinclair

    Nova Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>, Nova <> wrote:
    >

    >>There are a few pages I want to print from a webpage.
    >>when I do a print preview in IE or Firefox it has cut the right part of
    >>the webpage off a bit and it also has split the webpage over two pages
    >>but it's only a couple of lines it wants to print on the second page..
    >>
    >>I cannot find a way to tell it to shrink it to fit on an a4 page...
    >>i tried setting the "fit to page" option in the printer settings but IE
    >>and firefox seem to ignore this...

    > What version of Firefox are you using? I'm running 1.0.4 on my SuSE 9.1
    > box, "shrink to fit page width" is on by default, and all the Web pages
    > I've tried looking at so far fit just fine within a single A4 page width.
    >
    > Which Web site are you looking at?

    Yep firefox did the trick actually, I might have missed it the first
    time around. Look's good. Will try browsing with that for a while and
    see if I like it too :)

    Nova, Aug 1, 2005
  8. Bruce Sinclair

    Nova Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >
    >> There are a few pages I want to print from a webpage.
    >> when I do a print preview in IE or Firefox it has cut the right part
    >> of the webpage off a bit and it also has split the webpage over two
    >> pages but it's only a couple of lines it wants to print on the second
    >> page..
    >>
    >> I cannot find a way to tell it to shrink it to fit on an a4 page...
    >> i tried setting the "fit to page" option in the printer settings but
    >> IE and firefox seem to ignore this...
    >>
    >> Anyone know what I can do?

    > For external pages (to fit on paper)
    > Use the build in PrintPreview. There are several options that allow you
    > to fit the content on the page
    > Change margins
    > Print Landscape
    > You can also select content of a WebPage. To do that right-click and
    > select print, and then click the “print selected” button in the print
    > menu. This will avoid chopping of content and safe paper (you don’t have
    > to print all adds and menus on a page)
    >
    > We are fixing this properly in IE7 (especially with Shrink-to-Fit)
    > Read this for more info

    Cool, a good feature to have :).
    ie7 is coming to xp yes? not just vista?

    Nova, Aug 1, 2005
  9. Bruce Sinclair

    Terry J Guest

    http://www.cafepress.com/ihatelinux

    Terry J, Aug 1, 2005
  10. Nova wrote:
    >>> Anyone know what I can do?

    >> For external pages (to fit on paper)
    >> Use the build in PrintPreview. There are several options that allow
    >> you to fit the content on the page
    >> Change margins
    >> Print Landscape
    >> You can also select content of a WebPage. To do that right-click and
    >> select print, and then click the “print selected” button in the print
    >> menu. This will avoid chopping of content and safe paper (you don’t
    >> have to print all adds and menus on a page)
    >>
    >> We are fixing this properly in IE7 (especially with Shrink-to-Fit)
    >> Read this for more info

    > Cool, a good feature to have :).
    > ie7 is coming to xp yes? not just vista?

    Yes IE7 is coming to XP SP2, you can download beta1 if you are a
    MSDN/TechNet+ subscriber now. We will have a public beta a little bit
    later this year.

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 1, 2005
  11. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>We are fixing this properly in IE7...

    > You mean "We _will be_ fixing this properly in IE7".

    No, I meant what I wrote: We are fixing this properly in IE7.

    What is your point?
    I'm no English scholar but from what I can tell what I wrote is accurate
    and has the right spelling/grammar.

    Regards
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 1, 2005
  12. Bruce Sinclair

    Peter Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > There are a few pages I want to print from a webpage.
    > when I do a print preview in IE or Firefox it has cut the right part of
    > the webpage off a bit and it also has split the webpage over two pages
    > but it's only a couple of lines it wants to print on the second page..
    >
    > I cannot find a way to tell it to shrink it to fit on an a4 page...
    > i tried setting the "fit to page" option in the printer settings but IE
    > and firefox seem to ignore this...

    Firefox (and Mozilla before it) always did this just fine for me. Yet
    another reason why Firefox is so much better than IE. (It is really
    annoying to print off many pages of paper from IE, only to discover that
    the last couple of words on every line has dropped off the page.)

    I've used Firefox on many machines, and it always fitted pages ok. Maybe
    there is a setting somewhere that you have altered.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Aug 1, 2005
  13. In article <>, Nathan Mercer <>
    wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>We are fixing this properly in IE7...

    >> You mean "We _will be_ fixing this properly in IE7".

    >No, I meant what I wrote: We are fixing this properly in IE7.
    >
    >What is your point?
    >I'm no English scholar but from what I can tell what I wrote is accurate
    > and has the right spelling/grammar.

    You're using present tense for a future product. That's called
    "marketdroid-speak".

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Aug 1, 2005
  14. Bruce Sinclair

    Chris Hope Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>, Nathan Mercer <>
    > wrote:

    >>> You mean "We _will be_ fixing this properly in IE7".

    >>No, I meant what I wrote: We are fixing this properly in IE7.
    >>
    >>What is your point?
    >>I'm no English scholar but from what I can tell what I wrote is
    >>accurate
    >> and has the right spelling/grammar.

    > You're using present tense for a future product. That's called
    > "marketdroid-speak".

    Just because it's a future product does not mean it's not being worked
    on now. Using your logic, Microsoft are not currently working on their
    next version of Windows either, and will only be working on it after it
    has been released.

    Chris Hope, Aug 1, 2005
  15. Bruce Sinclair

    Nova Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > There are a few pages I want to print from a webpage.
    > when I do a print preview in IE or Firefox it has cut the right part of
    > the webpage off a bit and it also has split the webpage over two pages
    > but it's only a couple of lines it wants to print on the second page..
    >
    > I cannot find a way to tell it to shrink it to fit on an a4 page...
    > i tried setting the "fit to page" option in the printer settings but IE
    > and firefox seem to ignore this...
    >
    > Anyone know what I can do?
    >
    > I also would prefer not to have the URL printed on the pages etc..
    >
    > Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

    Just incase anyone else is interested.

    I had two problems, one IE cut off the right side of the pages
    This wasnt fixable (but will be in ie7)

    Firefox was better and fixed the right margin issue perfectly, however I
    was printing a table that contained 6 photos 2 columns 3 rows..
    fireFox cut the last 2 pictures in half and printed the other half of
    the picture on the second page
    _ugly_

    I tried opera, it was by far the most clever of the 3 browsers (for
    printing content)..
    Adjusted the width just as firefox did.

    But it was clever enough to work out it was printing a table and split
    the table nicely (not through the content) but rather cut inbetween a
    row so the last photos con printed completely on the second page.

    Opera also allowed me to scale down the entire webpage so that
    everything could be printed on the first page.

    be nice if that can be put in firefox and ie7

    Nova, Aug 1, 2005
  16. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    >>>You mean "We _will be_ fixing this properly in IE7".

    >>No, I meant what I wrote: We are fixing this properly in IE7.
    >>
    >>What is your point?
    >>I'm no English scholar but from what I can tell what I wrote is accurate
    >> and has the right spelling/grammar.

    > You're using present tense for a future product. That's called
    > "marketdroid-speak".

    whatever you think mate - your perception is your reality.

    I didn't write "we have fixed this properly in IE7" I wrote "We are
    fixing this properly in IE7"

    And even if I did, factually it would be correct. The problem is fixed
    already, and IE7 is out and available in beta.

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 1, 2005
  17. Nova wrote:
    >> There are a few pages I want to print from a webpage.
    >> when I do a print preview in IE or Firefox it has cut the right part
    >> of the webpage off a bit and it also has split the webpage over two
    >> pages but it's only a couple of lines it wants to print on the second
    >> page..
    >>
    >> I cannot find a way to tell it to shrink it to fit on an a4 page...
    >> i tried setting the "fit to page" option in the printer settings but
    >> IE and firefox seem to ignore this...
    >>
    >> Anyone know what I can do?
    >>
    >> I also would prefer not to have the URL printed on the pages etc..
    >>
    >> Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

    > Just incase anyone else is interested.
    >
    > I had two problems, one IE cut off the right side of the pages
    > This wasnt fixable (but will be in ie7)

    I used the following steps to fix this in IE6, my guess is this will
    work on previous versions too:

    1. open IE
    2. Select File -> Page Setup from the menu
    3. Set the Left and Right margins entries to 0.
    4. Click Okay
    5. Close IE, the settings are saved.

    > Firefox was better and fixed the right margin issue perfectly, however I
    > was printing a table that contained 6 photos 2 columns 3 rows..
    > fireFox cut the last 2 pictures in half and printed the other half of
    > the picture on the second page
    > _ugly_
    >
    > I tried opera, it was by far the most clever of the 3 browsers (for
    > printing content)..
    > Adjusted the width just as firefox did.
    >
    > But it was clever enough to work out it was printing a table and split
    > the table nicely (not through the content) but rather cut inbetween a
    > row so the last photos con printed completely on the second page.
    >
    > Opera also allowed me to scale down the entire webpage so that
    > everything could be printed on the first page.
    >
    > be nice if that can be put in firefox and ie7

    We have this in IE7 already - the feature is called Shrink-to-Fit.
    We now have Shrink-to-Fit on by default when you print a page with IE7.
    This feature will determine the width of the document and adjust it to
    fit on your paper. No more cut off right margins.

    Regards
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 1, 2005
  18. Bruce Sinclair

    Shane Guest

    On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:50:40 +1200, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Nova wrote:
    >>> There are a few pages I want to print from a webpage. when I do a print
    >>> preview in IE or Firefox it has cut the right part of the webpage off a
    >>> bit and it also has split the webpage over two pages but it's only a
    >>> couple of lines it wants to print on the second page..
    >>>
    >>> I cannot find a way to tell it to shrink it to fit on an a4 page... i
    >>> tried setting the "fit to page" option in the printer settings but IE
    >>> and firefox seem to ignore this...
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know what I can do?
    >>>
    >>> I also would prefer not to have the URL printed on the pages etc..
    >>>
    >>> Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

    >> Just incase anyone else is interested.
    >>
    >> I had two problems, one IE cut off the right side of the pages This
    >> wasnt fixable (but will be in ie7)

    > I used the following steps to fix this in IE6, my guess is this will work
    > on previous versions too:
    >
    > 1. open IE
    > 2. Select File -> Page Setup from the menu 3. Set the Left and Right
    > margins entries to 0. 4. Click Okay
    > 5. Close IE, the settings are saved.
    >
    >> Firefox was better and fixed the right margin issue perfectly, however I
    >> was printing a table that contained 6 photos 2 columns 3 rows.. fireFox
    >> cut the last 2 pictures in half and printed the other half of the
    >> picture on the second page
    >> _ugly_
    >>
    >> I tried opera, it was by far the most clever of the 3 browsers (for
    >> printing content)..
    >> Adjusted the width just as firefox did.
    >>
    >> But it was clever enough to work out it was printing a table and split
    >> the table nicely (not through the content) but rather cut inbetween a
    >> row so the last photos con printed completely on the second page.
    >>
    >> Opera also allowed me to scale down the entire webpage so that
    >> everything could be printed on the first page.
    >>
    >> be nice if that can be put in firefox and ie7

    > We have this in IE7 already - the feature is called Shrink-to-Fit. We now
    > have Shrink-to-Fit on by default when you print a page with IE7. This
    > feature will determine the width of the document and adjust it to fit on
    > your paper. No more cut off right margins.
    >
    > Regards
    > Nathan

    Ive ben dying to ask, but seeing as you have become a bit of a target Ive
    tried to hold back, but I just _have_ to know, are yahoo, and google
    toolbars going to be unbroken?

    Shane, Aug 1, 2005
  19. Shane wrote:
    > Ive ben dying to ask, but seeing as you have become a bit of a target Ive
    > tried to hold back, but I just _have_ to know, are yahoo, and google
    > toolbars going to be unbroken?

    Yes they will be unbroken! If they are broken it is a bug and we will
    fix this in IE7 before it releases.

    Personally I have tried both Yahoo and Google toolbars (as well as MSNs)
    on both IE7 beta1 in Windows Vista and Windows XP SP2 and they seem to
    work fine.

    Here are some comments from the IE team on the "issue"

    Regards
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 1, 2005
  20. In article <42eddf99$>, Nathan Mercer <>
    wrote:

    >>>No, I meant what I wrote: We are fixing this properly in IE7.
    >>>
    >>>What is your point?
    >>>I'm no English scholar but from what I can tell what I wrote is accurate
    >>> and has the right spelling/grammar.

    >> You're using present tense for a future product. That's called
    >> "marketdroid-speak".

    >whatever you think mate - your perception is your reality.
    >
    >I didn't write "we have fixed this properly in IE7" I wrote "We are
    >fixing this properly in IE7"
    >
    >And even if I did, factually it would be correct. The problem is fixed
    >already, and IE7 is out and available in beta.

    Available to everybody?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Aug 1, 2005