    If resizing is truly needed, what resampling optios should I use and if
    I should use resampling at all. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    , Sep 14, 2005

  2. Jim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm scanning old 4x6 wedding photographs at a resolution of 600 on a
    > Canon scanner. After I do all my editing in Photoshop and cropping it
    > to the right 1:1.25 ratio to fit on a 8x10, do I need to resize my
    > image to an 8x10 and do the right proportions for my pixels or is the
    > fact that being at a resolution of 600 and properly cropped sufficient?
    > I typically send my photos to Costco for printing.
    >
    > If resizing is truly needed, what resampling optios should I use and if
    > I should use resampling at all. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    If you want it crystal clear that the desired size is 8x10, you definitely
    should change the image to 8x10. No resampling should be necessary.
    Jim

    Jim, Sep 14, 2005

  3. Today spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    edification:

    > I'm scanning old 4x6 wedding photographs at a resolution of
    > 600 on a Canon scanner. After I do all my editing in
    > Photoshop and cropping it to the right 1:1.25 ratio to fit
    > on a 8x10, do I need to resize my image to an 8x10 and do
    > the right proportions for my pixels or is the fact that
    > being at a resolution of 600 and properly cropped
    > sufficient? I typically send my photos to Costco for
    > printing.
    >
    > If resizing is truly needed, what resampling optios should
    > I use and if I should use resampling at all. Any help is
    > greatly appreciated.

    In my experience scanning even professional photographs, there
    is seldom more than 300 DPI of real image information. But,
    scanning at 400-600 DPI would still be my choice as it is free
    and only slightly slower and you would get enough PPI for a
    decent 8 x 10 print.

    But, if the original is fuzzy or noisy or has any noticible
    defects, it won't matter much how many DPI you scan at. You
    can mitigate but not eliminate most defects but if the
    information really isn't in the original, chances of a "good"
    8 x 10 drop pretty fast.

    Best advice: try a couple and see for yourself.

    Incidently, once you've cropped to taste, resizing up will
    only reduce image quality. But, if you mean resizing to change
    the apparent PPI for some custom print house, then it won't
    matter. But, if you're starting with a 4 x 6, I'd save one
    version at that aspect ratio and another at 8 x 10 ratio. Why
    throw away information you may want later.

    One man's opinion, YMMV...

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All_Things_Mopar, Sep 14, 2005
  4. Frank ess Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm scanning old 4x6 wedding photographs at a resolution of 600 on a
    > Canon scanner. After I do all my editing in Photoshop and cropping
    > it
    > to the right 1:1.25 ratio to fit on a 8x10, do I need to resize my
    > image to an 8x10 and do the right proportions for my pixels or is
    > the
    > fact that being at a resolution of 600 and properly cropped
    > sufficient? I typically send my photos to Costco for printing.
    >
    > If resizing is truly needed, what resampling optios should I use and
    > if I should use resampling at all. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Are the original negatives inaccessible? Maybe the photographer could
    supply them, or more perfect prints at any size you want?

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Sep 14, 2005
  5. Dirty Harry Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm scanning old 4x6 wedding photographs at a resolution of 600 on a
    > Canon scanner. After I do all my editing in Photoshop and cropping it
    > to the right 1:1.25 ratio to fit on a 8x10, do I need to resize my
    > image to an 8x10 and do the right proportions for my pixels or is the
    > fact that being at a resolution of 600 and properly cropped sufficient?
    > I typically send my photos to Costco for printing.
    >
    > If resizing is truly needed, what resampling optios should I use and if
    > I should use resampling at all. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    An 8x10 is more of a square then a 4x6, if you want them to look exactly the
    same without cropping you'll need to get 8x12s printed. If you want 8x10s
    you should do the croping yourself to make sure you get what you want.

    Dirty Harry, Sep 14, 2005
  6. Dirty Harry Guest

    "Dirty Harry" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    > > I'm scanning old 4x6 wedding photographs at a resolution of 600 on a
    > > Canon scanner. After I do all my editing in Photoshop and cropping it
    > > to the right 1:1.25 ratio to fit on a 8x10, do I need to resize my
    > > image to an 8x10 and do the right proportions for my pixels or is the
    > > fact that being at a resolution of 600 and properly cropped sufficient?
    > > I typically send my photos to Costco for printing.
    > >
    > > If resizing is truly needed, what resampling optios should I use and if
    > > I should use resampling at all. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    > An 8x10 is more of a square then a 4x6, if you want them to look exactly

    the
    > same without cropping you'll need to get 8x12s printed. If you want 8x10s
    > you should do the croping yourself to make sure you get what you want.

    =

    whoops* smacks head

    Dirty Harry, Sep 15, 2005
  7. Ron Hunter Guest