    store to do it. Is it even possible to print a photo with such a small
    resolution? What size print could I get?

    , Aug 22, 2010

  2. Dan M Guest

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 09:46:49 -0700 (PDT), ""
    <> wrote:

    >My dad asked me to print a 400x320 cellphone photo that someone
    >emailed him. I don't have a photo printer, so I'd have to go to a
    >store to do it. Is it even possible to print a photo with such a small
    >resolution? What size print could I get?

    Depending on the content, (the types of details in and the content of the
    image greatly determine how much an image can be upsampled or how large it
    can be printed more than any number of pixels), you might get away with a
    very acceptable 6"x4" print. Might even be able to get a 7"x5" print out of
    that. With, of course, the proper upsampling algorithm (details dependent)
    and Fourier-transform (deconvolving) techniques applied to it (all in
    graduated steps) before printing. I have one image taken with a very early
    digicam with only 1024x768 resolution, but due to the startling content it
    successfully enlarges to 18"x13" prints. The resulting edge-softness from
    that much upsampling only enhancing the intense glow from the flames that
    comprise most of the disturbing and startling image. Nobody could even dare
    guess that it was taken on a camera with that low of a resolution.

    Now if that is the only known image of some world-leader or beloved
    pop-idol being assassinated you could print it to the size of a billboard
    and people still wouldn't see pixels or upsampling softness. Content means
    everything.

    Dan M, Aug 22, 2010

  3. Dave Cohen Guest

    On 8/22/2010 12:46 PM, wrote:
    > My dad asked me to print a 400x320 cellphone photo that someone
    > emailed him. I don't have a photo printer, so I'd have to go to a
    > store to do it. Is it even possible to print a photo with such a small
    > resolution? What size print could I get?

    Last time I tried that on one of those kiosk things, it printed two
    copies on 4x6 paper rather than a single 4x6.

    Dave Cohen, Aug 24, 2010
  4. ray Guest

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 09:46:49 -0700, wrote:

    > My dad asked me to print a 400x320 cellphone photo that someone emailed
    > him. I don't have a photo printer, so I'd have to go to a store to do
    > it. Is it even possible to print a photo with such a small resolution?
    > What size print could I get?

    I'd do an 8x10 - to show them how ridiculous the request is.

    ray, Aug 24, 2010