Printers (What to buy)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jim, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I have just about given up on my Epson C60 printer. The quality of the
    printed photos just doesn't meet my standards, and the constant problems
    with clogged heads is driving me crazy. I have two C60's. One I purchased
    and one I was given by my father-in-law because he was fed up with the same
    problems. I can duplicate the same problems with both. Epson says that I
    should send them back to be serviced but I think that both printers having
    the same problem with the same cartridges tells me that this printer just
    isn't up to my standards.

    I do use online printing services for prints, but once in a while I do like
    to print out my own photos. One of the reasons I switched from my old
    Pentax 35mm to my Olympus E20 was very simply the instant gratification of
    printing my photos immediately after taking them instead of waiting days to
    get them back from a printing service.

    In short, I need a new printer. I'm sure this question has been asked
    before, but a good photo printer survey is past due. Any suggestions at
    different price ranges what is a good printer for printing digital photos?

    Maybe this will keep you busy long enough to stop feeding the trolls ; )

    Thanks,

    Jim
    Jim, Jan 31, 2004

  2. Jim

    Stewy Guest

    Try one of the Canon printers.
    I recently bought a 6100i A3 printer and it has never let me down, produces
    great prints and has removable/replaceable print head!
    Like you, I was conned into buying an Epson PM930 - what a piece of sh**
    that turned out to be.
    Blocked heads, no driver for Mac OSX, zero tech support (you've bought, now
    you're stuck with it is the attitude of Epson "Support")

    Stewy, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Jim

    MB Guest

    Well, in defence of Epson I am very satisfied with my Photo Stylus 1290.
    Good quality prints up to A3+ and a dream to use.
    Mike

    MB, Feb 1, 2004
  4. "Jim" <> writes:

    > I have just about given up on my Epson C60 printer. The quality of the
    > printed photos just doesn't meet my standards, and the constant problems
    > with clogged heads is driving me crazy. I have two C60's. One I purchased
    > and one I was given by my father-in-law because he was fed up with the same
    > problems. I can duplicate the same problems with both. Epson says that I
    > should send them back to be serviced but I think that both printers having
    > the same problem with the same cartridges tells me that this printer just
    > isn't up to my standards.
    >
    > I do use online printing services for prints, but once in a while I do like
    > to print out my own photos. One of the reasons I switched from my old
    > Pentax 35mm to my Olympus E20 was very simply the instant gratification of
    > printing my photos immediately after taking them instead of waiting days to
    > get them back from a printing service.
    >
    > In short, I need a new printer. I'm sure this question has been asked
    > before, but a good photo printer survey is past due. Any suggestions at
    > different price ranges what is a good printer for printing digital photos?

    In terms of clogged heads, you might think about some of the HP's. When you
    change ink cartridges on the HP, you automatically change the head as well. Of
    course you pay for that in terms of higher ink costs, but if you aren't using
    the Epson enough that you are suffering from clogs, it might be worth it. The
    top of the line HP printer for 8x10's that people talk about is the 7960. I
    have a HP 6122 and it does a great job at making prints.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Feb 1, 2004
  5. Jim

    Guest

    MB <> wrote:
    > Well, in defence of Epson I am very satisfied with my Photo Stylus 1290.

    Also in defense of Epson, my C80 serves me well and I print a lot
    of full color photos at the highest resolution setting. My C80 has
    never caused me problems with clogged print heads. It works well with
    my old Mac and OS 10.3.2. My C80 even shares nicely with my Powerbook.
    , Feb 2, 2004