    Hi guys, i read a couple of days away that some printers are supported by
    XP64, i'll be grateful to anyone who tells me where i can read a list os
    supported hardware by microsoft. Thaks.
    Roberto, Jun 24, 2005

  2. "Roberto" wrote:

    > Hi guys, i read a couple of days away that some printers are supported by
    > XP64, i'll be grateful to anyone who tells me where i can read a list os
    > supported hardware by microsoft. Thaks.

    I put most of the Epson stuff on www.hcl.ms , but there are more than 3000
    printers alltogether, not to mention the native set that allows one printer
    to work with another driver. Look at this week's posting ; there are some
    other sites building up lists.
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 24, 2005

  3. Here is a good write up on printers and Windows XP Professional x64 by
    Charlie Russel, plus links to HP drivers and printers supported in x64.
    There have been a lot of questions on the Newsgroup about what printers are
    supported in x64. And while there is no comprehensive list all in one place,
    HP deserves kudos for transparency across their entire printer line. Check
    HP Printer Support for XP Professional x64 Edition for a complete list of
    where they are with printer support for x64.

    Beyond what's officially supported, however, there are a whole range of
    printers that work quite adequately in x64 Edition, even though there aren't
    any official drivers yet. They may not include all the functionality of
    specifically engineered printer drivers, but they will be able to perform
    basic printing functions. The first thing to understand is that there are
    two basic printer control languages - "Printer Control Language" (PCL) and
    Postscript. PCL has been the core of the HP line since the earliest days of
    Laser Jets Basic printing functionality with PCL will support virtually all
    HP laser printers. If your specific model isn't there, just choose the
    closest model that is supported

    Postscript is more than just a printer language, and has been primarily used
    by Apple and high end graphics and design users because of it's wealth of
    very high quality fonts, and platform independent support. This platform
    independence continues into the x64 world, with excellent drivers for
    Postscript printers built into the OS. The specific driver for your model
    printer may not be there, limiting your choice of controlling which paper
    tray is used, and possibly which fonts are available, but if your printer
    supports Postscript, you'll be able to print.

    On connectivity - I strongly believe that TCP/IP is the way to go for
    printer connectivity. If you are buying a printer, make sure it has a
    network card in it. If you already have a printer, take a look at one of the
    many TCP/IP network print server appliances available today, including
    wireless ones. If you use TCP/IP to connect to your printer, you again gain
    platform independence.

    Finally, in my next post I'll cover how to add x64 support to your existing
    32-bit print server (well, if it's running Server 2003, at least.)

    Charlie Russel
    Microsoft MVP for Server, Security and Tablet PCs
    Windows Expert Zone Columnist and author of >25 books on computers,
    operating systems and enterprise environments
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 24, 2005
  4. Roberto

    Rick Guest

    There are XP x64 drivers available from Brother, www.brother.com

    Rick, Jun 25, 2005
  5. Sorry, the link to the HP printers was not active:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00364537

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 25, 2005
  6. Hello,
    You can look at ntprint.inf for a listing of the printer drivers in the OS
    c:\windows\inf\ntprint.inf should list most of the drivers that ship in the
    box.
    Here is an article that talks about capable drivers that may not be an
    exact match.
    895612 How to find a compatible printer driver for a computer that is
    running a
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=895612

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]