Printers: Mono Laser or Colour inkjet?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Squiggle, Apr 13, 2008.

  1. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Just weighing up buying a printer for home, my old canon died a while
    ago, and i have been making do with just printing what i need to at Uni
    until now.

    Unfortunatly getting a PC at uni can be a right PITA on any day there is
    a project due, and this year I seem to need to do a lot more printing.

    So the decision becomes.. do I buy a cheap mono laser for its lower
    running costs and do the very few things that need colour on the colour
    laser at uni, or do i buy a colour inkjet (one with seperate
    colour/black tanks) and live with the higher costs of running it?

    Anyone had any issues with a brother HL-2140 or 2040?
    Recommendations as to what to avoid/what to buy most welcome.
    Particulary keen to know which current printers do/dont have those built
    in expiry dates and anti-cartridge refilling systems in them.

    TIA

    Squiggle

    Squiggle, Apr 13, 2008

  2. In article <480172c4$>, Squiggle did write:

    > So the decision becomes.. do I buy a cheap mono laser for its lower
    > running costs and do the very few things that need colour on the colour
    > laser at uni, or do i buy a colour inkjet (one with seperate
    > colour/black tanks) and live with the higher costs of running it?

    What volume of printing are you likely to do? Low favours the inkjet, high
    favours the laser.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 13, 2008

  3. In <480172c4$> Squiggle wrote:
    > Just weighing up buying a printer for home, my old canon died a while
    > ago, and i have been making do with just printing what i need to at
    > Uni until now.
    >
    > Unfortunatly getting a PC at uni can be a right PITA on any day there
    > is a project due, and this year I seem to need to do a lot more
    > printing.
    >
    > So the decision becomes.. do I buy a cheap mono laser for its lower
    > running costs and do the very few things that need colour on the
    > colour laser at uni, or do i buy a colour inkjet (one with seperate
    > colour/black tanks) and live with the higher costs of running it?
    >
    > Anyone had any issues with a brother HL-2140 or 2040?
    > Recommendations as to what to avoid/what to buy most welcome.
    > Particulary keen to know which current printers do/dont have those
    > built in expiry dates and anti-cartridge refilling systems in them.

    I'd had a Brother HL-2040 at home for about two years and it's given me
    no problems so far, but I only print an average of a few pages a week
    with it. The reason I got it was the opposite of most though. I used my
    old inkjet printer so infrequently that the ink cartridges would often
    block, something which obviously's a problem with a laser.

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz

    Roger Johnstone, Apr 13, 2008
  4. On Apr 13, 2:41 pm, Squiggle <> wrote:
    > Just weighing up buying a printer for home, my old canon died a while
    > ago, and i have been making do with just printing what i need to at Uni
    > until now.
    >
    > Unfortunatly getting a PC at uni can be a right PITA on any day there is
    > a project due, and this year I seem to need to do a lot more printing.
    >
    > So the decision becomes.. do I buy a cheap mono laser for its lower
    > running costs and do the very few things that need colour on the colour
    > laser at uni, or do i buy a colour inkjet (one with seperate
    > colour/black tanks) and live with the higher costs of running it?
    >
    > Anyone had any issues with a brother HL-2140 or 2040?
    > Recommendations as to what to avoid/what to buy most welcome.
    > Particulary keen to know which current printers do/dont have those built
    > in expiry dates and anti-cartridge refilling systems in them.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Squiggle

    If you can afford it, you could always consider a colour laser - and
    they are no longer that expensive, the Samsung I got cost me about
    $340 if I recall right, and they available even cheaper elsewhere now.
    Other models may even be cheaper too

    Regards
    Peter Jenkins
    see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

    Peter Jenkins, Apr 13, 2008
  5. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > In <480172c4$> Squiggle wrote:
    >> Just weighing up buying a printer for home, my old canon died a while
    >> ago, and i have been making do with just printing what i need to at
    >> Uni until now.
    >>
    >> Unfortunatly getting a PC at uni can be a right PITA on any day there
    >> is a project due, and this year I seem to need to do a lot more
    >> printing.
    >>
    >> So the decision becomes.. do I buy a cheap mono laser for its lower
    >> running costs and do the very few things that need colour on the
    >> colour laser at uni, or do i buy a colour inkjet (one with seperate
    >> colour/black tanks) and live with the higher costs of running it?
    >>
    >> Anyone had any issues with a brother HL-2140 or 2040?
    >> Recommendations as to what to avoid/what to buy most welcome.
    >> Particulary keen to know which current printers do/dont have those
    >> built in expiry dates and anti-cartridge refilling systems in them.

    > I'd had a Brother HL-2040 at home for about two years and it's given me
    > no problems so far, but I only print an average of a few pages a week
    > with it. The reason I got it was the opposite of most though. I used my
    > old inkjet printer so infrequently that the ink cartridges would often
    > block, something which obviously's a problem with a laser.

    Thanks for the feedback. Thats one of the problems I had with the old
    canon inkjet I had, I think there was one cartridge I got about 20 pages
    of text out of, then the next time I went to use it the ink had dried
    up. At $38 per cartridge that was a problem, not to mention the hassle
    of trying to find one at short notice.

    Squiggle, Apr 13, 2008
  6. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <480172c4$>, Squiggle did write:
    >
    >> So the decision becomes.. do I buy a cheap mono laser for its lower
    >> running costs and do the very few things that need colour on the colour
    >> laser at uni, or do i buy a colour inkjet (one with seperate
    >> colour/black tanks) and live with the higher costs of running it?

    > What volume of printing are you likely to do? Low favours the inkjet, high
    > favours the laser.

    Hard to say, I dont print a lot at the moment (maybe 20 pages/month, 95%
    plain text or simple graphics), but with the convenience of having a
    decent printer here I will definately be printing a lot more.
    I would expect to print a maximum of a ream of paper every two or three
    months.

    Squiggle, Apr 13, 2008
  7. In <> Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > In <480172c4$> Squiggle wrote:
    >> Just weighing up buying a printer for home, my old canon died a while
    >> ago, and i have been making do with just printing what i need to at
    >> Uni until now.
    >>
    >> Unfortunatly getting a PC at uni can be a right PITA on any day there
    >> is a project due, and this year I seem to need to do a lot more
    >> printing.
    >>
    >> So the decision becomes.. do I buy a cheap mono laser for its lower
    >> running costs and do the very few things that need colour on the
    >> colour laser at uni, or do i buy a colour inkjet (one with seperate
    >> colour/black tanks) and live with the higher costs of running it?
    >>
    >> Anyone had any issues with a brother HL-2140 or 2040?
    >> Recommendations as to what to avoid/what to buy most welcome.
    >> Particulary keen to know which current printers do/dont have those
    >> built in expiry dates and anti-cartridge refilling systems in them.

    > I'd had a Brother HL-2040 at home for about two years and it's given
    > me no problems so far, but I only print an average of a few pages a
    > week with it. The reason I got it was the opposite of most though. I
    > used my old inkjet printer so infrequently that the ink cartridges
    > would often block, something which obviously's a problem with a laser.

    Whoops. That should be 'something which obviously IS'NT a problem with a
    laser.'

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz

    Roger Johnstone, Apr 13, 2008
  8. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Peter Jenkins wrote:
    > On Apr 13, 2:41 pm, Squiggle <> wrote:
    >> Just weighing up buying a printer for home, my old canon died a while
    >> ago, and i have been making do with just printing what i need to at Uni
    >> until now.
    >>
    >> Unfortunatly getting a PC at uni can be a right PITA on any day there is
    >> a project due, and this year I seem to need to do a lot more printing.
    >>
    >> So the decision becomes.. do I buy a cheap mono laser for its lower
    >> running costs and do the very few things that need colour on the colour
    >> laser at uni, or do i buy a colour inkjet (one with seperate
    >> colour/black tanks) and live with the higher costs of running it?
    >>
    >> Anyone had any issues with a brother HL-2140 or 2040?
    >> Recommendations as to what to avoid/what to buy most welcome.
    >> Particulary keen to know which current printers do/dont have those built
    >> in expiry dates and anti-cartridge refilling systems in them.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Squiggle

    > If you can afford it, you could always consider a colour laser - and
    > they are no longer that expensive, the Samsung I got cost me about
    > $340 if I recall right, and they available even cheaper elsewhere now.
    > Other models may even be cheaper too
    >
    > Regards
    > Peter Jenkins
    > see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

    Thanks,
    just found the Samsung CLP-300. It is more than I want to spend but a
    colour laser for about twice the price of a mono laser is a good deal.
    The visa card might get a bit of a hammering this month.

    Squiggle, Apr 13, 2008
  9. In article <48018a6a$>, Squiggle did write:

    > Roger Johnstone wrote:
    >
    >> I used my old inkjet printer so infrequently that the ink cartridges
    >> would often block, something which obviously's a problem with a laser.

    > Thats one of the problems I had with the old
    > canon inkjet I had, I think there was one cartridge I got about 20 pages
    > of text out of, then the next time I went to use it the ink had dried
    > up. At $38 per cartridge that was a problem, not to mention the hassle
    > of trying to find one at short notice.

    How much printing were you doing? I have an ancient Epson that I might do, I
    dunno, a dozen pages a month on, and the cartridges last for months.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 13, 2008
  10. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <48018a6a$>, Squiggle did write:
    >
    >> Roger Johnstone wrote:
    >>
    >>> I used my old inkjet printer so infrequently that the ink cartridges
    >>> would often block, something which obviously's a problem with a laser.

    >> Thats one of the problems I had with the old
    >> canon inkjet I had, I think there was one cartridge I got about 20 pages
    >> of text out of, then the next time I went to use it the ink had dried
    >> up. At $38 per cartridge that was a problem, not to mention the hassle
    >> of trying to find one at short notice.

    > How much printing were you doing? I have an ancient Epson that I might do, I
    > dunno, a dozen pages a month on, and the cartridges last for months.

    I would've been lucky to print something everything couple of months. I
    think it was 4 months after my last move before I unpacked it.

    Squiggle, Apr 13, 2008
  11. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Squiggle wrote:
    >> Just weighing up buying a printer for home, my old canon died a while
    >> ago, and i have been making do with just printing what i need to at
    >> Uni until now.
    >>
    >> Unfortunatly getting a PC at uni can be a right PITA on any day there
    >> is a project due, and this year I seem to need to do a lot more printing.
    >>
    >> So the decision becomes.. do I buy a cheap mono laser for its lower
    >> running costs and do the very few things that need colour on the
    >> colour laser at uni, or do i buy a colour inkjet (one with seperate
    >> colour/black tanks) and live with the higher costs of running it?
    >>
    >> Anyone had any issues with a brother HL-2140 or 2040?
    >> Recommendations as to what to avoid/what to buy most welcome.
    >> Particulary keen to know which current printers do/dont have those
    >> built in expiry dates and anti-cartridge refilling systems in them.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Squiggle

    > Better quality inkjets are supposed to be more frugal on ink, but if you
    > are going to print lots of text a b&w laser makes sense....by lots I
    > mean thousands of pages....
    >
    > You can proof b&w pics on the laser then colour print at uni to finish....
    >
    > We have a Canon IP5000i and use it for everything. As we dont print
    > hundreds of pages we didnt re-new the laser's toner cartridge and dumped
    > it...We use up 2 or 3 sets of ink cartridges per year...so about $250 in
    > ink....but we do have very good quality output needs and use those.
    >
    > The cd/dvd printing feature of the Canon is a neat "extra" we use as well.
    >
    > So for flexibility I'd go inkjet....unless heavy b&w printing is expected.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Most of my printing requirements are plain text, either assignments or
    reports. I'll probably by one lot of genuine toner (if it runs out while
    still in warranty) then switch to cheap no-name toner until it needs a
    new drum then bin it for something newer since a drum will cost about
    the same as a new printer. Might look at a basic inkjet for colour work
    if i find well paid work between semesters this year.

    The point is now however moot as I went out this morning and grabbed a
    Brother HL-2140 mono laser from PB Tech after wasting half an hour
    trying to buy a HL-2040 from DSE.
    Slack gits didn't open the doors till 1/4 of an hour after the
    advertised opening hours, leaving me and two other customers loitering
    outside on a miserable day, then proceeded to tell me the only one they
    had in stock was the demo one.
    "So how much will you knock off for shop soiled stock?"
    "Nothing"
    "Throw in the Usb cable for free?"
    "Nope"

    end result, PB Tech gains a sale, i got the HL-2140, a usb cable and a
    ream of paper for almost the same as DSE would have charged me for the
    HL-2040 and a usb cable ($20 for a usb cable at DSE)

    thanks to all that weighed in with something constructive to say :)

    Squiggle, Apr 14, 2008
  12. In article <4801bbd3$>, Squiggle did write:

    > I would've been lucky to print something everything couple of months. I
    > think it was 4 months after my last move before I unpacked it.

    I'd almost say, don't bother getting a printer at all :). Go to a shop or
    something whenever you need something printed.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 15, 2008
  13. Squiggle

    Squiggle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <4801bbd3$>, Squiggle did write:
    >
    >> I would've been lucky to print something everything couple of months. I
    >> think it was 4 months after my last move before I unpacked it.

    > I'd almost say, don't bother getting a printer at all :). Go to a shop or
    > something whenever you need something printed.

    that was then, this is now.. University assigmnets and lecture notes
    tend to chew up a few pages, already made a decent dent in the ream of
    paper I purchased on monday.

    Squiggle, Apr 15, 2008