Printers and XP64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Dennis Gordon, Oct 14, 2005.

  1. I got my new (used) Epson 3170 scanner today. A little beat up, but works
    great under XP64.

    That leaves my printers as the last problematic device.
    We have 5 Xante printers for proofing of our newspapers. We proof 1"
    classifieds to 13"x22" broadsheets. Xante assures me that they are working
    on 64bit drivers for these printers, but in the meantime I installed them
    using the only driver offered by the OS... for a much older printer. I can
    print with limitations (no broadsheet) but they are sluggish to get into and
    change settings. We also use a Minolta/Konica Bizhub c350 copier/printer for
    color proofing. Nothing seems to work with that.
    While waiting for Xante and Konica to deliver, I decided to install some of
    the clerical printers to see how they worked. I put in a Brother 1270N and
    1850 and they work great... for cheap lasers.
    So I wonder... how is it that cheap general laser printers can work fine
    with XP64, while the higher end Xantes and Minoltas that graphic
    professionals work with have no support? I guess I really know the answer,
    but I'm confounded why a vendor who sells expensive ($2,000+) printers
    wouldn't be on top of their driver support (the rep at Xante wrote me that
    XP64 has *only* been around since April 2005, so they are still working on a
    functional driver... is it really that hard?).
    In the meantime I'll be sizing things down to fit on letter sized paper
    while our mighty production printers sit idly by...;-)

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 14, 2005

  2. If any of these understands PCL or Postscript, you should experiment with
    that - it has rather good system support, it has been said. May require
    dip-switch setting on the printer(s)?

    Personally, I believe most don't think they have the personel to do the
    re-write/porting, they know Vista is a year away, so what's the hurry. With
    nobody else doing anything but superficial work in this field, only geeks
    will buy it anyhow! (not entirely true of course, but that could well be how
    it looks from their viewpoint)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 14, 2005

  3. That's exactly what I figured, unfortunately....

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 14, 2005
  4. Yes, but at least whoever they are, and whatever they are doing, they'd have
    to keep their organization trim and might use 'our' OS as a 'training base'.
    This may mean (in the best of worlds), that stuff will trickle down the
    consumer drain - and this is the prime reason why I hold a keen eye on the
    goings-on at PAMD64. And new things do show up regularly. I definitly refuse
    to become 'bitter'. Although, 'unfortunate', as you said so well.

    Tony Sperling, Oct 14, 2005
  5. Actually I'm not bitter at all. I knew going into this that there were
    driver issues; and it's been said over and over that the average prosumer
    doesn't need to make the switch until late next year (if at all). But with
    hardware catching up to the software (after years of "Hey a celeron is
    plenty good enough to run Quark...") I'd like to see at least a sparkle of
    development on the productivity side of things. I guess XP64 is still too
    ahead of the curve...

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 14, 2005
  6. Of course I meant "...software catching up with hardware..." i.e.
    InDesign....

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 14, 2005
  7. Jeez! I am sorry, Dennis - I've gotten this environmental damage from
    driving a taxi-cab for over twenty years - in my taxi, I can talk openly
    with everyone about anything. You didn't sound bitter; I didn't think you
    were, and I certainly wouldn't have suggested anything of the sort if I
    thought you were. I was reflecting, saying it would almost be alright to
    grow bitter. It has gone to the point where I can still be polite, but no
    longer tactful in the proper sense. I'm not going to start an avalanche of
    excuses, but merely giggle silently over that remark about the Celeron -
    that's hilarious. And it made me think of the character in the film who
    answers the question "What can I get you?" with "Ah, Champaine would be
    plenty good enough for me."

    This was generally a good day for me, so I just had a sneek premiere of my
    weekly ration of Talisker, and to take this over to something entirely
    different, this brings along the question of wether or not 'chill filtering'
    ruins a decent whisky? This is a burning question in some quarters that I
    enjoy listening to. Personally, I hope the Talisker is not chill filtered,
    here is a product that has been perfected over maybe thousands of years of
    'hands-on-technology' and my best guess is that modern technology will be
    hard pressed to perfect that even further - but if it is chill filtered,
    then that kills the whole issue for me since, I think Man is obliged to use
    technology to the best results he can dream up. XP64 still too far ahead?
    Yes, I think you are right, at least in the sense that for 'some' - and I
    don't neccessarily mean MS - bulding a greate OS is not enough. That makes
    us 'suckers' but what will it make those that forfeit economical return
    right now? You cannot make extra turn-over by waiting for a bigger wave!

    Gosh, I'm sorry, Dennis. Blame it on the Talisker.

    Cheers, Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 14, 2005