    the 2nd computer, but I cannot see or use the printer on the host computer.
    I've tried to run the setup network wizard, but it doesn't seem to help!

    Thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?QS4gTXVuZGll?=, Apr 19, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QS4gTXVuZGll?=

    Malke Guest

    A. Mundie wrote:

    > Hello. I'm very new to this and I'm trying to use a printer on the
    > host
    > computer using a wireless network. I am able to connect to the
    > internet on the 2nd computer, but I cannot see or use the printer on
    > the host computer. I've tried to run the setup network wizard, but it
    > doesn't seem to help!
    >
    > Thanks!

    This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
    Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File &
    Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
    on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    Shared Documents folder. For the printer, you would right-click on its
    icon (on the computer to which it is connected) and share it.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Apr 19, 2006

  3. It worked! Thank you - thank you - thank you!
    Alison

    =?Utf-8?B?QS4gTXVuZGll?=, Apr 21, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QS4gTXVuZGll?=

    Malke Guest

    A. Mundie wrote:

    > It worked! Thank you - thank you - thank you!
    > Alison

    Great! Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for taking the time to let me
    know.

    Malke

    Malke, Apr 21, 2006
  5. Glad that this info was still here. By digging into firewall software, I was
    able to find areas where I could allow access for my local network. And
    Voila, the printer icon all of the sudden appeared and i cna print from my
    laptop.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgdGhlIFByaW50ZXI=?=, Apr 29, 2007