    being tighter than a sharks arse at 40 fathoms, I wait for the ink to
    run out. It hasnt yet.

    Your thoughts chaps ?
    Troggles, Mar 8, 2006

  2. Troggles

    frederick Guest

    Troggles wrote:
    > We had, or have, an old faithful of a printer here. A cannon bjc420 or
    > something. Anyway, had it for years. sinse 96 in fact. Still works.
    > However, I felt a bit flush one day and went out and bought a pixima
    > multifunction thing. printer, scanner copier etc. Made sure it was
    > cannon of course. Having had such a reliable old beasti before. But
    > the problem- for want of a better term- is that it has been telling me
    > for the last 40 sheets or so that my black ink is running low. Now,
    > being tighter than a sharks arse at 40 fathoms, I wait for the ink to
    > run out. It hasnt yet.
    >
    > Your thoughts chaps ?

    Usually the printer will stop before the ink is completely out. If the
    ink is a chipped oem cartridge, then it is safe to do this. If it is a
    non-oem cartridge (or faulty, or you have reset it) then the print head
    will die if it really runs out.
    frederick, Mar 8, 2006

  3. On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 09:43:59 +1300, Troggles wrote:

    > We had, or have, an old faithful of a printer here. A cannon bjc420 or
    > something. Anyway, had it for years. sinse 96 in fact. Still works.
    > However, I felt a bit flush one day and went out and bought a pixima
    > multifunction thing. printer, scanner copier etc. Made sure it was cannon
    > of course. Having had such a reliable old beasti before. But the
    > problem- for want of a better term- is that it has been telling me for the
    > last 40 sheets or so that my black ink is running low. Now, being tighter
    > than a sharks arse at 40 fathoms, I wait for the ink to run out. It hasnt
    > yet.
    >
    > Your thoughts chaps ?

    Buy another set of ink cartridges and wait for the ink to run out. Replace
    only what has actually run out.

    "Running Low" is not "run out". IT is a headsup warning for you.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to Linux,
    and it does all the things that they want."
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 8, 2006
  4. Troggles

    Baloo Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 09:43:59 +1300, Troggles wrote:
    >
    >> We had, or have, an old faithful of a printer here. A cannon bjc420 or
    >> something. Anyway, had it for years. sinse 96 in fact. Still works.
    >> However, I felt a bit flush one day and went out and bought a pixima
    >> multifunction thing. printer, scanner copier etc. Made sure it was cannon
    >> of course. Having had such a reliable old beasti before. But the
    >> problem- for want of a better term- is that it has been telling me for the
    >> last 40 sheets or so that my black ink is running low. Now, being tighter
    >> than a sharks arse at 40 fathoms, I wait for the ink to run out. It hasnt
    >> yet.
    >>
    >> Your thoughts chaps ?

    > Buy another set of ink cartridges and wait for the ink to run out. Replace
    > only what has actually run out.
    >
    > "Running Low" is not "run out". IT is a headsup warning for you.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Also, the cartridges supplied in the box with many printers do not seem
    to last long. I have experienced this with many printers, and seen
    other opinions that back my experience. The second set will last longer
    if that is the case.

    Of course it also depends on if you are doing a lot of printing then
    they will not last as long.....

    hth

    Baloo
    Baloo, Mar 8, 2006
  5. Troggles

    Troggles Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 09:43:59 +1300, Troggles wrote:
    >

    >>We had, or have, an old faithful of a printer here. A cannon bjc420 or
    >>something. Anyway, had it for years. sinse 96 in fact. Still works.
    >>However, I felt a bit flush one day and went out and bought a pixima
    >>multifunction thing. printer, scanner copier etc. Made sure it was cannon
    >>of course. Having had such a reliable old beasti before. But the
    >>problem- for want of a better term- is that it has been telling me for the
    >>last 40 sheets or so that my black ink is running low. Now, being tighter
    >>than a sharks arse at 40 fathoms, I wait for the ink to run out. It hasnt
    >>yet.
    >>
    >>Your thoughts chaps ?

    > Buy another set of ink cartridges and wait for the ink to run out. Replace
    > only what has actually run out.
    >
    > "Running Low" is not "run out". IT is a headsup warning for you.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Heads up huh ? Geesh. Well thats a big headsup. It aint run out yet.
    And ive done another half dozen sheets this arvo

    cheers
    Troggles, Mar 9, 2006
  6. Troggles

    Troggles Guest

    Baloo wrote:
    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 09:43:59 +1300, Troggles wrote:
    >>
    >>> We had, or have, an old faithful of a printer here. A cannon bjc420 or
    >>> something. Anyway, had it for years. sinse 96 in fact. Still works.
    >>> However, I felt a bit flush one day and went out and bought a pixima
    >>> multifunction thing. printer, scanner copier etc. Made sure it was
    >>> cannon
    >>> of course. Having had such a reliable old beasti before. But the
    >>> problem- for want of a better term- is that it has been telling me
    >>> for the
    >>> last 40 sheets or so that my black ink is running low. Now, being
    >>> tighter
    >>> than a sharks arse at 40 fathoms, I wait for the ink to run out. It
    >>> hasnt
    >>> yet.
    >>>
    >>> Your thoughts chaps ?

    >> Buy another set of ink cartridges and wait for the ink to run out.
    >> Replace
    >> only what has actually run out.
    >>
    >> "Running Low" is not "run out". IT is a headsup warning for you.
    >>

    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>

    > Also, the cartridges supplied in the box with many printers do not seem
    > to last long. I have experienced this with many printers, and seen
    > other opinions that back my experience. The second set will last longer
    > if that is the case.
    >
    > Of course it also depends on if you are doing a lot of printing then
    > they will not last as long.....
    >
    > hth
    >
    > Baloo

    mmmmmmmm. I always print in draft print too. Less the situation
    demands professionalism., Which isnt that often. Only for home and
    study use.

    cheers
    Troggles, Mar 9, 2006