Printer to router connection?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Jan 21, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have a 3 PC Windows XP home network.
    - 2 of the PCs connect to the internet via a WPA secured wireless network.
    - 1 PC connects to the network by direct connection to the router because
    (its) disabled wireless adapter is not WPA capable.

    The PC that connect directly to the router is also the one that has a
    printer connected to it via a standard printer parallel connection.

    I would like to share this printer via the wireless network while leaving
    its PC on a direct connection to the router since it's adapter is not WPA
    capable.

    1) Is there a way to connect the printer - which only has a parallel
    connection - directly to the router so it can also be shared by the other
    PCs on the wireless network?
    2) Is there some way to make the printer accessible to the other PCs if its
    PC remains on a direct connection to the router?

    Thanks.

    Jeff
    Guest, Jan 21, 2009

  2. Guest

    James Egan Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:33:00 -0500, <> wrote:

    >1) Is there a way to connect the printer - which only has a parallel
    >connection - directly to the router so it can also be shared by the other
    >PCs on the wireless network?

    No.

    >2) Is there some way to make the printer accessible to the other PCs if its
    >PC remains on a direct connection to the router?

    Forget about wired and wireless, it has no bearing on file and printer
    sharing. All wired, all wireless or part wired and part wireless,
    printer sharing is exactly the same.

    Jim.
    James Egan, Jan 21, 2009

  3. Guest

    GTS Guest

    See Inline

    <> wrote in message
    >I have a 3 PC Windows XP home network.
    > - 2 of the PCs connect to the internet via a WPA secured wireless network.
    > - 1 PC connects to the network by direct connection to the router because
    > (its) disabled wireless adapter is not WPA capable.
    >
    > The PC that connect directly to the router is also the one that has a
    > printer connected to it via a standard printer parallel connection.
    >
    > I would like to share this printer via the wireless network while leaving
    > its PC on a direct connection to the router since it's adapter is not WPA
    > capable.
    >
    > 1) Is there a way to connect the printer - which only has a parallel
    > connection - directly to the router so it can also be shared by the other
    > PCs on the wireless network?

    Yes. You would have to buy a print server with parallel port capability.
    See some examples here
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...er=BESTMATCH&Description=print server&x=0&y=0

    Note that these do not always work correctly with every printer. If
    possible try to find a known compatible unit.

    > 2) Is there some way to make the printer accessible to the other PCs if
    > its
    > PC remains on a direct connection to the router?

    Yes. On the PC where the printer is attached set it to shared (in printer
    properties). Install it as a network printer to the other 2 machines.

    GTS, Jan 21, 2009
  4. Hi
    Option 1. Printer stays where it is and printer sharing is configured.
    Does Not cost anything, but PC with printer has to be ON so that the other
    computer can connect.
    Option 2. You buy a parallel printer server and plug the printer to the
    Router.
    Easy smooth solution if it works.
    However extra expense, and there is No way to know if it is compatible with
    your printer ( http://www.ezlan.net/prtserver.html ).
    Example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156026
    Printer sharing configuration.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 21, 2009
  5. Guest

    Linea Recta Guest

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <> schreef in bericht
    > Hi
    > Option 1. Printer stays where it is and printer sharing is configured.
    > Does Not cost anything, but PC with printer has to be ON so that the other
    > computer can connect.

    That's my option and it works fine.

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os
    Linea Recta, Jan 21, 2009
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Linea Recta" <> wrote in message

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <> schreef in bericht
    >> Hi
    >> Option 1. Printer stays where it is and printer sharing is configured.
    >> Does Not cost anything, but PC with printer has to be ON so that the
    >> other computer can connect.

    > That's my option and it works fine.
    >
    > --
    > regards,
    >
    > |\ /|
    > | \/ |@rk
    > \../
    > \/os

    Thank you all. I appreciate the help and will try to implement Option 1.

    Jeff
    Guest, Jan 21, 2009