Printer spooler problem with HP5Si on 2003

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Don, Feb 24, 2006.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    I have only one printer which has been giving me fits ever since we upgraded
    to server 2003. We have over 20 printers on our network and this one HP5si
    will display a dialog on the print server saying the following:

    The printer was unable to connect to your printer. This can be caused by
    your printer being turned of, the cable being unplugged, or being connected
    to a VPN, which will block your access to your local network.

    Here is what I have tried:

    Replaced the jetdirect card after it fried (it was doing this prior to the
    card going).
    Removed the printer from the server and created a new printer (along with
    drivers).
    Checked the firmware on the printer, it is the latest
    Replaced the network patch cord
    Put the patch cord into another port

    It does not error contantly, it will error a few times a day, and not to one
    particular user. We have three 5si printers and this is the only one giving
    me the problem, as a matter of fact this is the only printer giving me a
    problem. We recently upgraded from NT 4.0 to 2003 with active directory. So
    I strongly suspect this is an active directory issue.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks
    Don, Feb 24, 2006

  2. Don

    Tony Guest

    "Don" <> wrote:
    >I have only one printer which has been giving me fits ever since we upgraded
    >to server 2003. We have over 20 printers on our network and this one HP5si
    >will display a dialog on the print server saying the following:
    >
    >The printer was unable to connect to your printer. This can be caused by
    >your printer being turned of, the cable being unplugged, or being connected
    >to a VPN, which will block your access to your local network.
    >
    >Here is what I have tried:
    >
    >Replaced the jetdirect card after it fried (it was doing this prior to the
    >card going).
    >Removed the printer from the server and created a new printer (along with
    >drivers).
    >Checked the firmware on the printer, it is the latest
    >Replaced the network patch cord
    >Put the patch cord into another port
    >
    >It does not error contantly, it will error a few times a day, and not to one
    >particular user. We have three 5si printers and this is the only one giving
    >me the problem, as a matter of fact this is the only printer giving me a
    >problem. We recently upgraded from NT 4.0 to 2003 with active directory. So
    >I strongly suspect this is an active directory issue.
    >
    >Any suggestions?
    >
    >Thanks

    Don
    If the problem remained with the same physical printer when you used a
    different port there are only a few possibilities.
    1. The physical cable from the patch panel to the printer location, the best
    way to test this is to move the printer to another cable (yes, I know it's a
    heavy beast!!!).
    2. The cable that connects the printer to the wall (I expect you have already
    tried that).
    3. The Jetdirect card (already eliminated).
    4. Some weird problem in the Formatter in the printer.
    You could try a cold reset as follows, but remove the jetdirect card first or
    the cold reset will reset the network address etc. in the jetdirect card.

    "Cold Reset
    Cold reset clears all data from the printer memory and sets all the defaults
    (except Service Mode settings) back to the factory settings.
    Caution Performing a cold reset resets the JetDirect configuration. To avoid
    making
    changes to your configuration remove the JetDirect card before performing
    a cold reset.
    If possible print a PCL and a PostScript Configuration Page prior to
    performing a Cold Reset. This will document current settings for later
    reference.
    To perform a cold reset:
    1 Turn the printer OFF.
    2 While holding the [On Line] key down, turn the printer ON. RESTORING
    FACTORY SETTINGS appears briefly on the display, then INTERNAL TEST
    appears. After about 30 seconds, RESTORING FACTORY SETTINGS again
    appears on the display, followed by READY. The On Line indicator also
    illuminates. The cold reset is now complete."

    You may have to reset the cold reset paper size afterwards depending on the
    default (A4 or Letter) in your location. I can send you that information if
    needed.
    If it is not cabling and a cold reset does not fix it then I suspect it is a
    formatter problem, they can be swapped between two printers. The formatter is
    the large assembly that the jetdirect card plugs into, undo two (I think, maybe
    4) large thumbscrews (power off of course) pull the cage out and swap with
    another printer, they can be a bit tricky, just see how it is located in the
    grooves as you pull it out and you will see how it slides back. If you keep the
    jetdirect card in the formatter as you do the swap the printer addresses will
    also be swapped, to avoid this just keep the jetdirect cards in the original
    physical printers. The formatters may have memory cards or PCL cards installed,
    no reason to worry about that unless the two printers are differently
    configured and even then I would leave them alone for this test.
    You may wish to try the formatter swap before you physically move the printer
    to avoid some potential muscle damage!!!
    Tony
    Tony, Feb 24, 2006