    the spooler can not process the print jobs due to lack of memory?
    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks NIKIT

    Nicks, Jan 13, 2004

  2. Nicks

    Sultan Guest

    Nicks wrote in news:jP_Mb.202481$:

    > I do helpdesk support for a company of about about 1,500 users,
    > running NWA (v4.83sp1) running on Windows 2000 workstations.
    > We get about 5 calls a day from people saying there printers
    > disappeared, they can't print.
    > We go in to services restart the spooler and under recovery we select
    > restart service. Does anyone know why this would happen in the first
    > place? Is it a bug in the OS? and if so is there a fix.
    > Is it because they don't reboot that often and with running a lot of
    > apps
    > the spooler can not process the print jobs due to lack of memory?
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks NIKIT

    I've never seen starting and stopping the spooler service giving the
    printer back to the user. If the printer is installed for them it should
    still be there, even if they can't print to it- that is where stopping
    the spooler service and restarting will help.

    For my users they get their printer assigned whenever they logon, I do
    this via a Kixtart script. That way no matter which pc they use they will
    get their printer installed automatically.

    I can try and help you troubleshoot it more, but I don't know what NWA
    is. Nor did you mention your make and model of printer and how it is
    connected to the network (ie an internal card or JetDirect box etc).

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Nicks wrote:
    > I do helpdesk support for a company of about about 1,500 users, running NWA
    > (v4.83sp1) running on Windows 2000 workstations.
    > We get about 5 calls a day from people saying there printers disappeared,
    > they can't print.
    > We go in to services restart the spooler and under recovery we select
    > restart service. Does anyone know why this would happen in the first place?
    > Is it a bug in the OS? and if so is there a fix.
    > Is it because they don't reboot that often and with running a lot of apps
    > the spooler can not process the print jobs due to lack of memory?
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks NIKIT

    For Sultan: he's referring to the Novell client (4.83sp1).

    This can happen just due to resource depletion, EVEN ON WIN2K despite some
    people thinking it has "unlimited" resources. It's particularly prevalent
    on systems with anti-virus software such as NAV200x versions (as opposed
    to NAV CE) and NAL loaded.

    But I suspect you are using NDPS. Do you use any special printer apps,
    such as SwiftPublish?

    No, you *normally* do not have to reboot periodically in Win2K as you do
    with Win9x. And it is not at all unusual in Win2K to recover using NET
    STOP SPOOLER followed by NET START SPOOLER.

    But the biggest problem here is that you haven't provided nearly enough
    detail. For example, among 1500 users, it might not be odd to have 5
    running short on disk space to print large jobs.

    I would also recommend updating your Novell client; since going to 4.9
    can involve other issues (primarily NMAS) you might just use 4.83sp2.
    Still, you'll need to mention, for example, if the printers are delivered
    through NDPS, which could make a real difference in diagnosis, or how they
    are connected & made available to users.

    You might also try posting to the appropriate Netware support forum, on
    the server called support-forums.novell.com. When you do so, include LOTS
    more detail such as how the printers are deployed, how connected, version
    of Netware & patch level, W2K patch level, etc.

    -- DE

    Tergiversative, Jan 14, 2004
  4. Nicks

    Jethrotash1

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Spooler

    NIKIT, I'd like to thank you for your post as I was immediately able to correct a long time problem. I've been dealing with this spooler issue (not knowing it was a spooler issue) for almost a year, since I installed my HP Officejet Pro L7580 on my wireless network on my Vista 32 Rain computer with the proper VISTA driver installed. The symptoms were:
    WORD documents would crash (the document would not open and caused the screen to go white) or documents would not print, or programs such as my audio firebox virtual mixer would just "hang" and not open. I had a suspicion this was related to the printer because I discovered all printer icons would disappear from the printer listing in control panel whenever I had one of these various crashes. That was common to every instance of crashing. I tried reinstalling the printer, reinstalling my wireless network and countless other methods to no avail. The only way I could correct the disappearing printer icons was through a system restore in SAFE mode only. Even normal restarts of the computer would not resolve it, not even termporarily. This tedious process had to be repeated as often as four times a day or more sometimes due to crashing. Then suddenly , the other day, the system restore did not help. Somehow I typed the right search words "printer dissapears" into google and came to your post immediately. I tried it and it immediately worked. So thank you VERY much.

    Mark

    Jethrotash1, Jun 27, 2008