    Do I need to download drivers and if so where do I find them and how do I
    know which ones to download?
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2VjaWxpYQ==?=, Oct 12, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2VjaWxpYQ==?=

    Malke Guest

    Cecilia wrote:

    > I have XP Pro installed on my PC (where I have the printer) and also
    > on one
    > of my Laptos. The other laptopp has XP Home Edition.
    > I don't have a problem sharing the printer with the one with XP Pro
    > but on the other laptop I'm unable to find the printer.
    > Do I need to download drivers and if so where do I find them and how
    > do I know which ones to download?
    > Thanks a lot for your help.

    You need to first set up file/printer sharing on the Home laptop. Make
    sure that the Pro machines have Simple Sharing set consistently (Folder
    Options>View). IOW, make sure it is off or on the same way on both
    machines. If Simple Sharing is disabled, then create user accounts and
    passwords on both Pro machines to match the ones on the Home laptop.
    Make sure the Home laptop's firewall is properly configured to allow
    the lan as Trusted. If you are using XPSP2's Windows Firewall, do this
    on the Exceptions tab by checking File & Printer Sharing. If you are
    using a third-party firewall, do this in its configuration options and
    make sure that Windows Firewall is not also running.

    Once you've got the file sharing part done, depending on the printer
    (and whether or not you've got the laptop set to automatically search
    for network printers) the Home laptop may already automatically add the
    printer. If it does, you're done. Otherwise, use the Add Printer wizard
    to find the printer on the network and add it. Since all the machines
    are using XP, your laptop may ask you if it is OK to get the drivers
    from the Pro machine where the printer is installed. Naturally you will
    OK this.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Oct 12, 2005

  3. "Cecilia" <> wrote in message
    >I have XP Pro installed on my PC (where I have the printer) and also on one
    > of my Laptos. The other laptopp has XP Home Edition.
    > I don't have a problem sharing the printer with the one with XP Pro but on
    > the other laptop I'm unable to find the printer.
    > Do I need to download drivers and if so where do I find them and how do I
    > know which ones to download?
    > Thanks a lot for your help.

    In addition to what Malke said, there is also another issue which stopped me
    printing over the network with a shared printer when I installed XP Pro on
    the machine with the printer physically attached to it AND shared the
    printer properly. The entire issue was resolved after following the
    instructions at the link hereunder. It also fixed some networking problems
    that can arise and are not evident between 2 XP Home machines.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Oct 12, 2005