Printer sharing

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Some One, Aug 26, 2005.

  1. Some One

    Some One Guest

    Hi, there:

    I have a desktop PC and a notebook PC (used by my partner), both
    running Windows XP Howm. They are connected through a
    router/switch, the desktop PC through cable, and the notebook PC
    through WiFi. I also have a printer connected to the desktop PC.
    It is shared within the network so the notebook PC could print
    when the desktop PC is on. It is identified by the notebook as
    'LaserPrt'.

    So far so good.

    Now I set the desktop to dual boot. The 2nd system is still
    Windows XP Home. (don't ask why.) I still share the printers
    using the same name 'LaserPrt'. When I boot in the new system,
    the notebook recognizes the shared printer as 'LaserPrt (copy
    1)'. I have to use this to print, but not 'LaserPrt'.

    Is there a way to set up the desktop so that regardless which
    system I boot, the notebook PC can print through a unique name? I
    know a better solution would be use a print server, but we don't
    print that often.

    Any ideas? Thanks.

    PC user.
    Some One, Aug 26, 2005

  2. Some One

    Livewire Guest

    In article <1125034503.78301935864893376fc327389f7ac2a6@teranews>, some1
    @somewhere.net says...
    > Hi, there:
    >
    > I have a desktop PC and a notebook PC (used by my partner), both
    > running Windows XP Howm. They are connected through a
    > router/switch, the desktop PC through cable, and the notebook PC
    > through WiFi. I also have a printer connected to the desktop PC.
    > It is shared within the network so the notebook PC could print
    > when the desktop PC is on. It is identified by the notebook as
    > 'LaserPrt'.
    >
    > So far so good.
    >
    > Now I set the desktop to dual boot. The 2nd system is still
    > Windows XP Home. (don't ask why.) I still share the printers
    > using the same name 'LaserPrt'. When I boot in the new system,
    > the notebook recognizes the shared printer as 'LaserPrt (copy
    > 1)'. I have to use this to print, but not 'LaserPrt'.
    >
    > Is there a way to set up the desktop so that regardless which
    > system I boot, the notebook PC can print through a unique name? I
    > know a better solution would be use a print server, but we don't
    > print that often.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks.
    >
    > PC user.

    A hub/printserver cost me £7 through eBay. Money well spent.
    Livewire, Aug 26, 2005

  3. Some One

    Brian Guest

    The reason you have 2 different printers is because you are essentially
    using 2 different computers by using dual boot because the printer share is
    on different partitions of the same computer. The only way around this is
    with a print server or a printer with a network adapter that is connected to
    your router/switch
    Brian, Sep 7, 2005