    Can this be done? So far I am getting nowhere.
    Thanks for any help.
    Lup

    Luap, Mar 31, 2005

  2. Luap

    Malke Guest

    Luap wrote:

    > My setup: wireless router connected to cable modem. Laptop connected
    > to router via wireless PCMCIA card adapter. Desktop connected to
    > router via USB wireless adapter.
    > I run Zonealarm on both PC's.
    > I now want to use the printer connected to the desktop, from my
    > laptop. Can this be done? So far I am getting nowhere.
    > Thanks for any help.
    > Lup

    Of course. The fact that the network is wireless is irrelevant. Share
    the printer on the desktop. Since you didn't say what operating systems
    are involved, I'll give you links explaining sharing. Set ZoneAlarm to
    allow the lan as trusted. You do this on the Zones tab, I believe.

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    (Pro)
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/troubleshoot_index.htm

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Mar 31, 2005

  3. Luap

    Luap Guest

    Malke wrote:
    > Luap wrote:
    >

    >>My setup: wireless router connected to cable modem. Laptop connected
    >>to router via wireless PCMCIA card adapter. Desktop connected to
    >>router via USB wireless adapter.
    >>I run Zonealarm on both PC's.
    >>I now want to use the printer connected to the desktop, from my
    >>laptop. Can this be done? So far I am getting nowhere.
    >>Thanks for any help.
    >>Lup

    > Of course. The fact that the network is wireless is irrelevant. Share
    > the printer on the desktop. Since you didn't say what operating systems
    > are involved, I'll give you links explaining sharing. Set ZoneAlarm to
    > allow the lan as trusted. You do this on the Zones tab, I believe.
    >
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm
    > (Pro)
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/troubleshoot_index.htm
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/howto/
    > http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
    >
    > Malke

    Thanks.
    Having thought about it, this is almost identical to a wired network I
    had before. The OS is/are XP.
    Luap

    Luap, Mar 31, 2005
  4. Luap

    Malke Guest

    Luap wrote:

    > The update is that I got the printer to work! However, one thing
    > concerns me - the network is now in the "trusted zone". I would
    > ideaaly like to have both PC's in the internet zone (hidden) with just
    > the printer in the trusted zone. Can anyone help me achieve this with
    > Zonealarm. I believe it's possible using the expert rules but I can't
    > work it out..

    Excellent. However, you want your local area network to be in the
    Trusted Zone. If you only want to share the printer, then don't make
    any shares on the other computers.

    > PS. On another matter - I've set up the router (D-Link Airplus Xtreme)
    > with WEP (my network adapters don't support WPA) but I notice there
    > are a lot of other settings that can be tweaked. For example, the
    > firewall settings. I'd be grateful if anyone has advice on
    > improvements I can make to my network security via the router. Cheers.

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    Malke

    Malke, Apr 2, 2005
  5. Luap

    Luap Guest

    Malke wrote:
    > Luap wrote:
    >

    >>My setup: wireless router connected to cable modem. Laptop connected
    >>to router via wireless PCMCIA card adapter. Desktop connected to
    >>router via USB wireless adapter.
    >>I run Zonealarm on both PC's.
    >>I now want to use the printer connected to the desktop, from my
    >>laptop. Can this be done? So far I am getting nowhere.
    >>Thanks for any help.
    >>Lup

    > Of course. The fact that the network is wireless is irrelevant. Share
    > the printer on the desktop. Since you didn't say what operating systems
    > are involved, I'll give you links explaining sharing. Set ZoneAlarm to
    > allow the lan as trusted. You do this on the Zones tab, I believe.
    >
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm
    > (Pro)
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/troubleshoot_index.htm
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/howto/
    > http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
    >
    > Malke

    The update is that I got the printer to work! However, one thing
    concerns me - the network is now in the "trusted zone". I would ideaaly
    like to have both PC's in the internet zone (hidden) with just the
    printer in the trusted zone. Can anyone help me achieve this with
    Zonealarm. I believe it's possible using the expert rules but I can't
    work it out..
    Thnx
    Lua.

    Luap, Apr 2, 2005
  6. Luap

    Malke Guest

    Luap wrote:

    > Malke wrote:
    >> Luap wrote:
    >>

    >>>The update is that I got the printer to work! However, one thing
    >>>concerns me - the network is now in the "trusted zone". I would
    >>>ideaaly like to have both PC's in the internet zone (hidden) with
    >>>just the printer in the trusted zone. Can anyone help me achieve this
    >>>with Zonealarm. I believe it's possible using the expert rules but I
    >>>can't work it out..

    >> Excellent. However, you want your local area network to be in the
    >> Trusted Zone. If you only want to share the printer, then don't make
    >> any shares on the other computers.

    > I only seem to have one network - the two PC's and the router. Are you
    > saying I should have configured some other way ie. The PC's connection
    > to the router in the Internet zone and the connection between
    > computers in a Trusted zone?
    > Lua

    You only have one network. In ZoneAlarm, you set the Local Area Network
    (the two pcs and the router - which is the gateway ) as Trusted.
    Without knowing the router brand I can't be specific, but you want to
    enter an IP range for the lan. It will be something like
    192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. The connection to the Internet is protected
    by the ZoneAlarm firewall.

    Malke

    Malke, Apr 2, 2005
  7. Luap