    sharing on my xp machine but on my vista lap. in the network and sharing
    centre, under printer sharing, it wont let me share saying "no printers
    installed"...have turned off all firewalls. tx in advance........

    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?=, Sep 11, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?=

    Bill Guest

    Make sure both PC and laptop have the same computer workgroup name..Vista
    calls it WORKGROUP and I think XP called it MSHOME or something like that. I
    had the same problem and renamed the XP PC to match the Vista name. Then
    make sure you share you right click the printer properties and turn on
    sharing

    good luck

    Bill

    Bill, Sep 11, 2007

  3. tx bill but did that too. although called both workgroups mshome( would that
    be suitable), still status quo.

    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?=, Sep 11, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?=

    Bill Guest

    I guess it should work with MSHOME. Did you run the Vista home network
    wizard as well and can you at least see both computers in the network
    workgroup? Don't know what else to suggest

    I decided to call both WORKGROUP since that was the vista default and the
    vista PC was the newer one

    Bill, Sep 11, 2007
  5. yep ran wizard,no probs, and can see both comps....im baffled too, tx anyway

    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?=, Sep 11, 2007
  6. Have you installed the printer on the Vista laptop ??

    MD

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?=, Sep 11, 2007
  7. er..mmmm.....i.... er.....probaly not,jeez, i have to do that?. **** ok
    madDog, show me how.

    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?=, Sep 11, 2007
  8. hi madDog p.s. in control (vista lap) going to add printer ..it finds my xp
    comp. printer but a windows appears saying windows cannot connect to printer
    access denied.

    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?=, Sep 11, 2007
  9. I don't know about Vista, but if it's the same as on my XP box, go to Start
    -> Settings -> Printers and Faxes -> Add Printer. (Or Start -> Settings ->
    Control Panel -> Printers and Faxes -> Add Printer) This will bring up the
    "Add Printer Wizard". One of the choices is to add a network printer or a
    printer connected to another computer. Good luck.

    MD

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?=, Sep 11, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?=

    Gordon Guest

    > hi madDog p.s. in control (vista lap) going to add printer ..it finds my
    > xp
    > comp. printer but a windows appears saying windows cannot connect to
    > printer
    > access denied.

    Have you got identical Users with identical passwords set up on both
    machines?

    Gordon, Sep 11, 2007
  11. Can you file share between the desktp and laptop ??

    MD

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?=, Sep 11, 2007
  12. same users dont have password on xp comp.

    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?=, Sep 11, 2007
  13. filesharing ok

    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?=, Sep 11, 2007
  14. same user dont have password on xp pc though do on vista (kids use pc mainly)

    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?=, Sep 11, 2007
  15. =?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?=

    Jim Guest

    > same user dont have password on xp pc though do on vista (kids use pc
    > mainly)
    >
    > "Gordon" wrote:
    >
    >> "juliusseizure" <> wrote in message
    >> > hi madDog p.s. in control (vista lap) going to add printer ..it finds
    >> > my
    >> > xp
    >> > comp. printer but a windows appears saying windows cannot connect to
    >> > printer
    >> > access denied.
    >> >

    >> Have you got identical Users with identical passwords set up on both
    >> machines?

    Then the passwords aren't identical. When other posters stated identical
    accounts, they meant the same username and the same password.

    I don't believe that the two accounts must be identical, but setup works
    much easier if they are.

    You can try the net use command. I sometimes found this easier to get
    things going.

    Jim

    Jim, Sep 11, 2007
  16. Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    allowed to be shared.

    Vista File and Printer Sharing-

    Basic XP -

    Printer Sharing XP -

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 11, 2007
  17. =?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?=

    Gordon Guest

    > same users dont have password on xp comp.

    Then that might be the problem - add the same password to the User on XP and
    see if that helps..

    Gordon, Sep 11, 2007
  18. You have to install a component called the LLTD responder. It must be
    installed on the machine running XP so that the machine running Vista can see
    the shared folders and printer. Go to the following link:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=922120

    =?Utf-8?B?NHJlZDI=?=, Sep 12, 2007
  19. Many tx for all ur responses.......v. helpful.
    p.s. for anyone with similar problems or error messages, i discovered
    solution by simply googling the error message

    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaXVzc2VpenVyZQ==?=, Sep 12, 2007
  20. And speaking of Googling... has anyone tried the "solution" listed here yet?

    http://www.cymru66.com/uncategorized/vista-woes-windows-cannot-connect-to-the-printer/

    =?Utf-8?B?VmljbnRj?=, Sep 22, 2007