Printer Sharing Fails At Times

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by jalway@gmail.com, Feb 17, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I'm trying to share a printer on a local area network (LinkSys router,
    wifi), and at times it works and at times it doesn't work. The
    shared file system always works, and the internet gateway works.

    The error I get when it's not working after clicking on the printer
    icon is: "Operation could not be completed. Either the printer name
    was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its
    connection to the server."

    I can't believe either are true, since the printer name is the same
    one I've always used (by clicking on the printer icon), and the
    printer works sometimes and doesn't work other times, despite being
    connected always to the same computer. I did disable the firewall
    to see if that was the reason, and it had no effect.

    All of the computers use WinXP. We have up to about four computers,
    two laptops and two desktops. The printer is set up for sharing.

    I did notice this, since there is dynamic ip addressing, the ip
    address of the computers will change when a new computer logs on, and
    this is when things go wrong. For instance, the ip address of the
    desktop with the computer was 192.168.1.100 and printer sharing
    worked. Then, a lap top was logged on, and it went to 192.168.1.103,
    and printer sharing no longer worked. Again, file sharing works the
    whole time.

    I'd really love to find the solution to this problem. Hope
    someone out there has some ideas!

    Thanks, John
    , Feb 17, 2007

  2. Hi
    There is few solutions to stabilize the availability of the printer over the
    Network..
    The best is to get a Network Capable Printer connect it to the Network via
    available port, configure with a Static IP and would available to all
    computers as an independent device.
    If you can not afford a Network Printer, make sure that the computer with
    the printer has a Static IP so that it can be found always in the same IP.
    No matter what do not put the printer on a Wired computer. Wireless
    instability might interfere with printing process.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 17, 2007

  3. Guest

    Thanks, Jack.

    I hadn't realized it, but the printer is network capable, so I just
    found some RJ45 and went through setup, and the printer now works for
    all computers on the network.

    Thanks again!

    ...John
    , Feb 17, 2007
  4. Hi
    LOL, I should be so lucky to discover that my printer is a Network
    Printer.
    You are welcome.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 18, 2007