    with that too. Can you please tell me how to do this step by step. At this
    point, the only thing I need to share is the printer.

    Thank you.

    =?Utf-8?B?YV9yeWFuMTk3Mg==?=, Jul 4, 2005

  2. Hi.

    I presume you have made sure all the computers are on the same workgroup etc
    and the wireless devices use the same ssid.

    Usually the network wizard takes you through all the right steps.

    If you have been through all the routine steps, power-cycling the router is
    occasionally all thats needed to fix the problem.

    Sometimes

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FuamVldg==?=, Jul 4, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?YV9yeWFuMTk3Mg==?=

    Malke Guest

    Sanjeev wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I presume you have made sure all the computers are on the same
    > workgroup etc and the wireless devices use the same ssid.
    >
    > Usually the network wizard takes you through all the right steps.
    >
    > If you have been through all the routine steps, power-cycling the
    > router is occasionally all thats needed to fix the problem.
    >
    > Sometimes
    > "a_ryan1972" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I'm running two desktops with XP Professional Service Pack 2.
    >> Desktoop A has a cable modem plugged into a wireless router (I'm
    >> using an ethernet card to access the internet - the wireless router
    >> is to play xbox online in another room) that is plugged into my
    >> vonage box which then goes into my
    >> computer. I also have a printer hooked up to Desktop A that I would
    >> like to
    >> print to from Desktop B. Desktop B has a wireless PCI card. Both
    >> computers
    >> access the internet properly. However, when i try to share the
    >> printe, it
    >> seems as though the computers can not see each other. I have
    >> disabled the
    >> firewall on both desktops. Please help. I've tried everything
    >> including creating a network which I'm not even sure I had to do, but
    >> I had problems
    >> with that too. Can you please tell me how to do this step by step.
    >> At this point, the only thing I need to share is the printer.
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    Ryan - It is not necessary for computers in a Workgroup situation (as
    opposed to a domain) to have the same Workgroup name in order to share
    files and/or printers. I assume that when you say "including creating a
    network", you mean you ran the Network Setup Wizard. If you didn't,
    then please do so. Please give the exact text of any error messages.

    Since you can get to the Internet, this isn't a wireless issue per se
    but rather one of something set up incorrectly in the lan.
    Power-cycling the modem will not be useful. You say you disabled the
    firewalls - does that mean you were using only SP2's Windows Firewall?
    Do you have a third-party firewall installed? Perhaps Norton AV 2005
    which has "Internet Worm Blocking" (a firewall that will interfere with
    networking if you are also running the WF).

    Here is a network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time
    to go through it carefully; it will pinpoint the problem area(s):

    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    And here are some links to help you with home file-sharing:

    (Pro)

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Jul 4, 2005
  4. All the above sounds like very good advise. I have found however that even
    when everything is set up as it should be, and 2 networked computers still do
    not see each other, power cycling the ROUTER was all that was needed for the
    fix. Networking administrators often suggest that you should power cycle the
    router intermittently in any case, so turning the router off for 10 seconds
    and then on again may save you a lot of hassle (if it works)

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FuamVldg==?=, Jul 5, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?YV9yeWFuMTk3Mg==?=

    flameseductress

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Vonage + Printer Sharing

    Hey Ryan,
    You haven't set anything up wrong don't worry. It doesn't matter how pro you are setting up your network or all your other equipment you still will never see your other printers. Vonage's box blocks your computers from seeing eachother. I have the same problem and I know three other people who have done the same thing. I've been working in or around networks for a long time and I know i have everything set up.
    The problem is every time i call into vonage i get a different answer on how to fix it because you have to go through 4 layers of help desk people who know nothing before you get to someone who can actually help. Once i get mine fixed I will post the steps i had to do so you can hopefully get your equipment up and running.
    In the meantime.... enjoy the hassel. :D :p

    flameseductress, Aug 5, 2006