    printer for 169 bucks and it cost me 30 bucks a month in ink.

    Tnx,
    R.
    Crash Gordon, Feb 13, 2006

  2. Crash Gordon

    bmoag Guest

    Bad news: Ink costs have only gone up.
    Printing your own is for quality, not cost. This is no different for digital
    processes than it was for film processes.
    If you cannot wrap your head around that continue to have prints made at
    Walmart.
    bmoag, Feb 13, 2006

  3. Crash Gordon

    irwell Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:25:17 -0700, "Crash Gordon"
    <> wrote:

    >Howdy all..
    >
    >A friend of mine has an Epson 2400 which seems to produce great prints, but
    >I can't afford one of those. Besides, I think if I want a print bigger than
    >8x10 I'd probably have it printed at a lab.
    >
    >What else do you guys recommend that is good, and economical (oxymoron I
    >know)...but I still have nightmares of the days when I bought a Canon color
    >printer for 169 bucks and it cost me 30 bucks a month in ink.
    >
    >Tnx,
    >R.

    I think they are all like that. Selling the sizzle and not
    the steak. I have the Canon ip6600d and like it a lot,
    to get the most out of it you have to use canon Paper and Inks.
    irwell, Feb 13, 2006
  4. Crash Gordon

    Crash Gordon Guest

    I guess you didn't grasp the concept here. I want an economical method for
    printing at home, with decent quality. For the good stuff I have my stuff
    printed at Image Craft, where I've also taken my film for years.

    I would't know about Walmart prints, but you apparently do.

    Crash Gordon, Feb 13, 2006
  5. Crash Gordon

    C Wright Guest

    On 2/13/06 9:25 AM, in article mx1If.2$, "Crash
    Gordon" <> wrote:

    > Howdy all..
    >
    > A friend of mine has an Epson 2400 which seems to produce great prints, but
    > I can't afford one of those. Besides, I think if I want a print bigger than
    > 8x10 I'd probably have it printed at a lab.
    >
    > What else do you guys recommend that is good, and economical (oxymoron I
    > know)...but I still have nightmares of the days when I bought a Canon color
    > printer for 169 bucks and it cost me 30 bucks a month in ink.
    >
    > Tnx,
    > R.

    You might look at the Epson R1800 or the R800. The Canon i9900 is also a
    very nice printer.
    But, if you are looking for a printer with excellent quality that is also
    easy on ink - good luck! If you used 30 bucks worth of ink per month in
    your current printer you will probably use that amount in any new printer
    that you buy as well.
    Chuck
    C Wright, Feb 13, 2006
  6. Crash Gordon

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Crash Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Howdy all..
    >
    > A friend of mine has an Epson 2400 which seems to produce great prints,
    > but
    > I can't afford one of those. Besides, I think if I want a print bigger
    > than
    > 8x10 I'd probably have it printed at a lab.
    >
    > What else do you guys recommend that is good, and economical (oxymoron I
    > know)...but I still have nightmares of the days when I bought a Canon
    > color
    > printer for 169 bucks and it cost me 30 bucks a month in ink.

    Economy prints need to use non original inks. I have used Print Rite ink in
    my Epson 1290 for 6 months now. Cartridge costs are about 1/8 of Epson
    prices. The colours are o.k. and I have tweaked my printer/monitor so I tend
    to get what I see on the screen. I also use non-Epson paper. I went to eBay
    and bought several papers, I have settled on a semi-gloss from Germany. I
    can now print an A3 (17 by 12 inch) for about 40 UK pence. (100 pence = $1.6
    I think). The prints look good and compare favorably with those printed in a
    photography shop.

    I don't know about longevity, so far so good. Anyway, a cheap home printing
    system allows me to print whenever I like. I also like monochrome, the black
    ink setting lets me print large B+W images that look quite good at minimal
    cost - it looks good on other papers as well so I am using up the papers I
    bought that don't take the coloured ink so well.

    For A4 (a bit bigger than 8x10) I use an Epson R200. I am using original ink
    with this printer - until I run out, then it's off to Print Rite.

    John
    Eatmorepies, Feb 13, 2006
  7. Crash Gordon wrote:
    > I guess you didn't grasp the concept here. I want an economical method for
    > printing at home, with decent quality. For the good stuff I have my stuff
    > printed at Image Craft, where I've also taken my film for years.

    I would recommend a Canon PIXMA printer. You could probably get a very
    good deal on an iP4000 right now if you can find one. It has been
    discontinued for the newer iP4200. I have the iP4000 and it prints
    excellent photos and I buy compatible cartridges for less than $2 each
    here: http://www.tylermartin.com/ If you refill at home then your ink
    costs will be even less. The compatible carts get me about 95% of the
    quality of OEM ink for 20% of the cost. For my needs it is a good
    trade-off.

    Michael Johnson, PE, Feb 13, 2006