    Has anyone ever used this hardware/software? Does anyone know how to
    create a generic profile, and is there an alternate printer I can select
    from the available list?

    no_name, Jul 11, 2006

  2. no_name wrote:
    > Has anyone ever used this hardware/software? Does anyone know how to
    > create a generic profile, and is there an alternate printer I can select
    > from the available list?

    I used to have the Spyder2 Suite, containing the Spyder2 display
    colorimeter and software as well as the PrintFix software.

    Printer profiling is purely software based. This was the main reason for
    me to get rid of the Suite. Basically, you print a target and compare it
    to its image on screen. Then you adjust a bunch of sliders, print
    again, compare, etc. Once you have obtained a reasonable match between
    screen image and print-out you can create a printer profile from the
    slider positions. You can start the process with any RGB printer profile
    really, but the closer it matches your printer the less work you'll
    have. I found this extremely cumbersome and time/paper/ink consuming.
    I'm now using the Monaco EZcolor OptixPro combo, which creates printer
    profiles automatically (you need a scanner).

    Cheers
    Steffen.

    Steffen Kluge, Jul 15, 2006

  3. no_name

    Father Kodak Guest

    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:34:17 GMT, Steffen Kluge <>
    wrote:

    >no_name wrote:

    >have. I found this extremely cumbersome and time/paper/ink consuming.
    >I'm now using the Monaco EZcolor OptixPro combo, which creates printer
    >profiles automatically (you need a scanner).
    >
    >Cheers
    >Steffen.

    Steffen,

    I have often read statements where the writer says that doing printer
    profiles using a scanner to measure the printer output is not very
    good or very accurate. These people say that you need to spend well
    over $1000 or €1000 and get a printer profiling system based on a more
    accurate color-measuring device.

    What is your opinion?

    Father Kodak

    Father Kodak, Jul 30, 2006
  4. On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:47:58 -0700, Father Kodak
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:34:17 GMT, Steffen Kluge <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>no_name wrote:

    >>have. I found this extremely cumbersome and time/paper/ink consuming.
    >>I'm now using the Monaco EZcolor OptixPro combo, which creates printer
    >>profiles automatically (you need a scanner).
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>Steffen.

    >Steffen,
    >
    >I have often read statements where the writer says that doing printer
    >profiles using a scanner to measure the printer output is not very
    >good or very accurate. These people say that you need to spend well
    >over $1000 or €1000 and get a printer profiling system based on a more
    >accurate color-measuring device.
    >
    >What is your opinion?
    >
    >Father Kodak

    I'm not Steffen.

    I have tried almost every scanner-based printer profiling
    system there is: Wiziwyg, Monaco, ColorVision, Profile
    Prism... must have missed one or two. I can't tell you
    how many $$$ of ink and paper I've killed trying to make
    printer profiles with these.

    None were reliable. With some struggling a good profile
    could be made but it's usually hit-and-miss. Profile Prism
    was the best of the lot, IMO.

    Mike Chaney (the creator of Profile Prism) says that
    using LED-based scanners (aka "CIS") like the Canon
    Lide-80 took care of certain metamerism issues. I've
    always used Epsons for my profile target scans.

    I wonder what he's recommending now that the Lide-80
    seems to be gone from the market.

    Anyway, I've always wanted a Gretag Eye-1 Photo
    (a spectro-based print profiling system) but I've never
    seen that package for under $1200.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    Raphael Bustin, Jul 31, 2006
  5. Raphael Bustin wrote:
    > None were reliable. With some struggling a good profile
    > could be made but it's usually hit-and-miss. Profile Prism
    > was the best of the lot, IMO.

    They say you have to create a printer profile for every paper/ink
    combination you use. That's only the partial truth. To be accurate you'd
    need a profile for every paper/ink/viewing light combination. The light
    source plays an important role in the appearance of a print-out, and
    however precise your spectrophotometer is, the printer profile you get
    is accurate only for one particular assumed light source.

    Of course, using any kind of tri-stimulus scanning in printer profiling,
    there will be metamerism issues, no doubt. Combine these with the
    metamerism effects of printer inks under different light sources, and
    all hopes for "simply making the print-out look like the monitor image"
    are dashed.

    At least my scanner based printer profile will put me in the right ball
    park. From there, I can use the Ezcolor software to edit the profile to
    my liking (or to match a particular light source).

    Cheers
    Steffen.

    Steffen Kluge, Jul 31, 2006