Printer problems

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert L Bass, Sep 7, 2005.

  1. First of all, please pardon me if this has already been
    discussed. I didn't find it in recent threads.

    I have a Nikon D70 which gives pretty decent photos for the
    amateur photographer that I am. I recently purchased an
    inexpensive HP 4215V "all-in-one", primarily to use as a fax
    machine and office printer. However, I've had several folks ask
    for prints of digital pictures I've taken.

    The problem is the images, which appear bright and smooth on
    screen, invariably print out as grainy, low color images on
    paper. I selected the highest resolution and HP glossy paper
    which is what I'm trying to use.

    Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

    --

    Regards,
    Robert L Bass

    Bass Burglar Alarms
    The Online DIY Store
    http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com
    Robert L Bass, Sep 7, 2005

  2. Robert L Bass

    Marvin Guest

    Robert L Bass wrote:
    > First of all, please pardon me if this has already been
    > discussed. I didn't find it in recent threads.
    >
    > I have a Nikon D70 which gives pretty decent photos for the
    > amateur photographer that I am. I recently purchased an
    > inexpensive HP 4215V "all-in-one", primarily to use as a fax
    > machine and office printer. However, I've had several folks ask
    > for prints of digital pictures I've taken.
    >
    > The problem is the images, which appear bright and smooth on
    > screen, invariably print out as grainy, low color images on
    > paper. I selected the highest resolution and HP glossy paper
    > which is what I'm trying to use.
    >
    > Any advice would be deeply appreciated.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    > Robert L Bass

    I have the similar HP 4215xi, and get excellent photo prints from it. First of all, make
    sure that the pixel count of your photos allows at least 200 pixels per inch in both the
    height and width of the print, preferably at least 250 ppi. Then choose the right
    printing mode in the printer software; the Professional Quality Photos mode works great
    for me. You didn't mention what program you are printing from, which can make a
    difference. I normally use Paint Shop Pro, and sometimes use the free Kodak EasyShare
    software, with Kodak paper instead of HP paper. Kodak paper is less expensive, and works
    vey well with HP inks. Don't use refilled ink cartridges for photos.
    Marvin, Sep 8, 2005

  3. Robert L Bass

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Bass,

    Sounds like you may have used a low setting in your camera when you
    captured your images. If that is the case, the quality of the prints
    may be less than hoped. Although, with the D70 just about all of them
    should be pretty good. Anway, make sure the file is of a quality high
    enough to make prints of the size you want.

    Also, if you are going to use Kodak paper, I suggest Ultima, go to the
    Kodak web site and download and install the EasyShare Software. It
    includes something called One Touch. Kodak has gone to the trouble of
    acquiring just about every printer on the market and testing them for
    all the Kodak Inkjet Papers. If you have a a good file with enough
    resolution for a good print, the current driver installed for your
    printer, and you use Kodak Ultima Paper or Premium Paper with EasyShare
    software, your prints should be excellent. If not and you want to use
    Kodak Paper anyway, go to the Kodak Inkjet site and review the settings
    for your printer with any number of paper types. Reset your printer
    driver accordingly and you should get excellent results as well.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/inkjet

    Look to the left of that page to find the Printer Settings link.

    Good luck, let me know if you have any trouble.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company
    Ron Baird, Sep 8, 2005