    port need to be set up in BIOS? or maybe there's a utility disk that sets it
    up?

    I'd appreciate any help on this one, thank you.

    Steve38, Aug 30, 2003

  2. Steve38

    Kenny Guest

    Check in BIOS that USB ports are enabled, check in Printer Properties that
    Windows is looking for it on the right port and check Device Manager that
    there's no problem with USB controllers. Also check that the drivers were
    written for ME.

    --

    Kenny

    "Steve38" <> wrote in message
    > A few days ago I installed a new hard drive in a friends PC, then

    installed
    > Windows ME. Everything seemed to be working fine 'till I received a phone
    > call from him saying he's getting a "Communication Port" error when trying
    > to use the printer.
    >
    > It's an Epson printer connected by a USB that worked properly with his old
    > hard drive. Furthermore, when he hooked his old hard drive back up the
    > printer worked like normal, but no such luck with the new drive.
    >
    > In Windows it seems as if everything is set up properly and ready to go,

    but
    > I feel there's something wrong between the hardware and the OS. Does the

    USB

    Kenny, Aug 30, 2003

  3. Steve38

    Ghost Guest

    In article <XMX3b.4206$>, "Steve38"
    <> wrote:

    > A few days ago I installed a new hard drive in a friends PC, then installed
    > Windows ME. Everything seemed to be working fine 'till I received a phone
    > call from him saying he's getting a "Communication Port" error when trying
    > to use the printer.
    >
    > It's an Epson printer connected by a USB that worked properly with his old
    > hard drive. Furthermore, when he hooked his old hard drive back up the
    > printer worked like normal, but no such luck with the new drive.
    >
    > In Windows it seems as if everything is set up properly and ready to go, but
    > I feel there's something wrong between the hardware and the OS. Does the USB
    > port need to be set up in BIOS? or maybe there's a utility disk that sets it
    > up?
    >
    > I'd appreciate any help on this one, thank you.

    Remember, when installing USB devices, you MUST install the drivers FIRST,
    then connect the device. If you had the device connected first, it will
    generally not work.

    Ghost, Aug 30, 2003
  4. You probably don't have the printer installed correctly for a USB port.
    I'd guess that it was installed for a parallel port.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 3, 2003