printer problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Leon K, May 5, 2004.

  1. Leon K

    Leon K Guest

    My HP Deskjet 400 seems to have given up the ghost.
    It was working ok last week but yesterday when it did not go I found the
    cable had been dislodged from the back of the computer and I jiggled it back
    into place while the computer was still switched on. The printer sounded
    like it was winding up to print at this point but then stopped. Is it
    possible I have blown a card in the printer?
    I have tried the printer on a second computer and with a replacement cable
    but to no effect.
    It does the test printout ok when I hold the paper button down while
    switching it on,
    but whenever I send it a print job a dialog pops up telling me there was an
    error in printing to LPT1.

    I do not use a printer much and will probably end up getting a new cheap
    one, but before I do that I thought I would ask if anyone had any advice as
    to further steps I could take to check and repair it.

    Also - if I do end up getting another one, will I have to get another HP to
    use up the ink cartridges I still have for this one, or will HP cartridges
    fit in other printers?
    With cartridges costing about $25-30 this is a significant saving for me.

    Thanks
    LK
    Leon K, May 5, 2004

  2. Leon K

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Leon K" <> wrote in news:c7bq84$rjh$:

    > It was working ok last week but yesterday when it did not go I found
    > the cable had been dislodged from the back of the computer and I
    > jiggled it back into place while the computer was still switched on.

    Turn off the printer and unplug it from the wall. Turn off the computer
    and unplug it from the wall. Wait for 30 seconds for the power supplies to
    discharge. Plug in the printer to the wall and turn it on. Plug in the
    computer to the wall and turn it on. Test printing.
    Still broken? Try swapping cables, printers and pc's with known good ones.
    This may involve bringing to a friends house. Sometimes the pins on the
    cable can break or bend. Inspect the PC end of the cable carefully. Don't
    cram the PC against things so the wires get bent and break.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 6, 2004

  3. I
    >I have tried the printer on a second computer and with a replacement cable
    >but to no effect.
    >It does the test printout ok when I hold the paper button down while
    >switching it on,

    Youve just done all the testing you can do.
    It will be unrepairable.
    Steve Robertson, May 6, 2004
  4. Leon K
    > My HP Deskjet 400 seems to have given up the ghost.
    > It was working ok last week but yesterday when it did not go I found the
    > cable had been dislodged from the back of the computer and I jiggled it back
    > into place while the computer was still switched on. The printer sounded
    > like it was winding up to print at this point but then stopped. Is it
    > possible I have blown a card in the printer?
    > I have tried the printer on a second computer and with a replacement cable
    > but to no effect.
    > It does the test printout ok when I hold the paper button down while
    > switching it on,
    > but whenever I send it a print job a dialog pops up telling me there was an
    > error in printing to LPT1.
    >
    > I do not use a printer much and will probably end up getting a new cheap
    > one, but before I do that I thought I would ask if anyone had any advice as
    > to further steps I could take to check and repair it.
    >
    > Also - if I do end up getting another one, will I have to get another HP to
    > use up the ink cartridges I still have for this one, or will HP cartridges
    > fit in other printers?
    > With cartridges costing about $25-30 this is a significant saving for me.

    These printers are junk, I'm surprised it still goes
    Patrick Dunford, May 6, 2004