Printer Port Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by tony, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. tony

    tony Guest

    Two pop-up windows appeared on my screen when I attempted to
    print a text page. The printer and cable have been tested on another
    computer and are good.

    Popup 1
    HP DeskJet 7
    Printer Port Problem
    There is a problem accessing the printer port.
    Click Troubleshoot for problem solving information.

    Popup 2
    Printers Folder
    There was an error writing to LPT1: for the printer (HP DeskJet 710C)
    There was a problem printing to the printer due to an unknown system
    error.
    Restart Windows, and then try printing again.

    I tried a plug in ECP port card. That had the same result...Couldn't
    find port.

    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer software but the
    process stopped with a report that "Install was unable to locate the
    printer" and that "No ports found"

    I followed the instructions with the HP troubleshooting help file and
    the port is set to LPT1: (ECP Printer Port) but something prevents
    things from working.

    It was working fine for two years.

    Anybody have any suggestions?

    The only thing that I can think of to make it work is a new
    motherboard.

    Tony
    tony, Mar 10, 2005

  2. tony

    tony Guest

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:43:18 GMT, (tony) wrote:

    >Two pop-up windows appeared on my screen when I attempted to
    >print a text page. The printer and cable have been tested on another
    >computer and are good.
    >
    >Popup 1
    >HP DeskJet 7
    >Printer Port Problem
    >There is a problem accessing the printer port.
    >Click Troubleshoot for problem solving information.
    >
    >Popup 2
    >Printers Folder
    >There was an error writing to LPT1: for the printer (HP DeskJet 710C)
    >There was a problem printing to the printer due to an unknown system
    >error.
    >Restart Windows, and then try printing again.
    >
    >I tried a plug in ECP port card. That had the same result...Couldn't
    >find port.
    >
    >I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer software but the
    >process stopped with a report that "Install was unable to locate the
    >printer" and that "No ports found"
    >
    >I followed the instructions with the HP troubleshooting help file and
    >the port is set to LPT1: (ECP Printer Port) but something prevents
    >things from working.
    >
    >It was working fine for two years.
    >
    >Anybody have any suggestions?
    >
    >The only thing that I can think of to make it work is a new
    >motherboard.
    >
    >Tony

    Forgot to mention that the OS is Win98SE
    tony, Mar 10, 2005

  3. tony

    Lookout Guest

    >>I tried a plug in ECP port card. That had the same result...Couldn't
    >>find port.
    >>
    >>I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer software but the
    >>process stopped with a report that "Install was unable to locate the
    >>printer" and that "No ports found"
    >>
    >>I followed the instructions with the HP troubleshooting help file and
    >>the port is set to LPT1: (ECP Printer Port) but something prevents
    >>things from working.
    >>
    >>It was working fine for two years.
    >>
    >>Anybody have any suggestions?
    >>
    >>The only thing that I can think of to make it work is a new
    >>motherboard.
    >>
    >>Tony

    >Forgot to mention that the OS is Win98SE

    Have you checked to see if the port is still open in the BIOS? I know
    the chances are slim that it closed but.....
    Lookout, Mar 10, 2005
  4. tony

    °Mike° Guest

    Try booting into Safe Mode and remove the LPT1
    port from Device Manager. Also remove/uninstall
    the printer itself. Boot back into normal mode and
    allow Windows to reinitialise the port. Reinstall the
    printer.

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:43:18 GMT, in
    <>
    tony scrawled: