    install, and be able to use the new one. Please help me make the right
    decision.
    Babs
    bb, Dec 7, 2006

  2. bb

    old man Guest

    plug in, install is often not the correct why to install a usb printer

    old man, Dec 7, 2006

  3. bb

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:04:07 GMT, "bb" <> wrote:

    >I would like to upgrade from my HP Deskjet 812C. My preference is a
    >printer/scanner combination. Would appreciate any suggestions or opinions
    >on what I should buy. Hopefully, I'll just unplug this one and plug in,
    >install, and be able to use the new one. Please help me make the right
    >decision.

    Specifics? Do you need a color printer? A laser printer? Price range?
    Evan Platt, Dec 7, 2006
  4. "bb" <> wrote in

    > I would like to upgrade from my HP Deskjet 812C. My preference is a
    > printer/scanner combination. Would appreciate any suggestions or
    > opinions on what I should buy. Hopefully, I'll just unplug this one and
    > plug in, install, and be able to use the new one. Please help me make
    > the right decision.
    > Babs

    Unless you've got some kind of demanding business use or some need for
    photographic professional quality, just get one of those Lexmark combos
    scanner + printer from Walmart for ~$60, and when it comes time to buy some
    more ink, and you can't find it on sale, just throw it away and get another
    printer cheaper than you can replace the ink.

    You'll likely have to uninstall your HP, and use the [Lexmark] or
    replacement printer's CD to install it's drivers, or go to the mfr's
    website and download the latest drivers and/or patches.

    Higher beings from outer space
    may not want to tell us all the secrets of life,
    because, in their little grey minds,
    we're not quite ready for that advanced step - yet.

    But maybe they'll change their superior tune - after a little torture.
    Bucky Breeder, Dec 7, 2006
  5. bb

    thanatoid Guest

    "old man" <> wrote in

    > plug in, install is often not the correct why to install a
    > usb printer

    <SNIP>

    Nor is "plug in, install is often not the correct why to install
    a usb printer" often a correct way to write English.
    thanatoid, Dec 7, 2006
  6. bb

    thanatoid Guest

    "bb" <> wrote in

    > I would like to upgrade from my HP Deskjet 812C. My
    > preference is a printer/scanner combination. Would
    > appreciate any suggestions or opinions on what I should
    > buy. Hopefully, I'll just unplug this one and plug in,
    > install, and be able to use the new one. Please help me
    > make the right decision.
    > Babs

    All-in-one combos are usually badly lacking in at least one of
    the functions. IMO, NOT recommended unless quality does not
    matter at all.

    Inkjets are cheap as hell but you pay through the nose for the
    cartridges, and they are slow. Quality is vastly inferior to
    lasers in all aspects.

    Lasers are getting cheaper all the time, and even with the new
    way to screw the consumer, low-yield cartridges, you still
    hardly EVER have to get a new cartridge. They look 1000% better
    and are fast as hell.

    Even color lasers are below $500 now.

    Scanners can be had for dirt cheap as well.

    A scanner and a printer are almost the same as having a copy
    machine.

    There are many fax programs available, many free.

    t.

    --
    Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.
    thanatoid, Dec 7, 2006
  7. bb

    John Dean Guest

    bb wrote:
    > I would like to upgrade from my HP Deskjet 812C. My preference is a
    > printer/scanner combination. Would appreciate any suggestions or
    > opinions on what I should buy. Hopefully, I'll just unplug this one
    > and plug in, install, and be able to use the new one. Please help me
    > make the right decision.
    > Babs

    I doubt there's much significant difference between models for the average
    user. If money is an issue, start by checking the price and availability of
    refillable and generic cartridges because the ink in manufacturers'
    cartridges will cost you more than the printer ever could.
    I've been using an Epson inkjet printer / copier / scanner CX3200 for some
    time now and it's fine for what I need. I was thinking about upgrading to
    something a little more modern but then I discovered an on-line source of
    generic cartridges for just over 1 UKP (2 US dollars) so I'm staying where I
    am. When the printer finally gives up the ghost I'll survey cartridges
    before I start looking at printers.
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford
    John Dean, Dec 7, 2006
  8. bb

    belto Guest

    It's not the cost of the printer that counts it's the running costs.
    Lexmark printers or multifunctional machines or what ever you like to call
    them are horrendous for the cartridge cost comparing the quantity of ink in
    each cartridge.
    Epson are expensive to run also when cleaning printheads a large amout of
    ink is consumed.
    If anything goes wrong then throw it away it's uneconomical to repair.
    The best ranger to consider is the HP Business Ink Jet range. available as
    printers or multi functional.
    4 cartridge system black 68 ml of ink
    colours 28ml ink all approx £20 ish.Printheads can also be changed easily.

    We also supply compatible cartridges at even less cost making it the most
    economicam printer to own
    Come back for more info specifications etc

    belto, Dec 8, 2006