    I have been advised that the Windows 7 PCs will have to have drivers for the
    printer installed to be able to print to the Xerox printer.
    TIA

    KiwiBrian, Nov 13, 2009

  2. KiwiBrian

    EMB Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:
    > A local network consists of a Windows 7 Laptop, a Windows 7 Desktop, and
    > a XP PC which drives a big commercial printer which only has XP Driver
    > support available.
    > Will the 2 Windows 7 PCs be able to print on the Xerox printer via the
    > networked XP PC?
    > I have been advised that the Windows 7 PCs will have to have drivers for
    > the printer installed to be able to print to the Xerox printer.

    You have been advised correctly. However I'm *certain* that there will
    be drivers available for the Xerox. Post back with its model number and
    configuration (duplexer, trays, etc) and I'll track some down for you.

    EMB, Nov 13, 2009

  3. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:hdjatl$id6$...
    > KiwiBrian wrote:
    >> A local network consists of a Windows 7 Laptop, a Windows 7 Desktop, and
    >> a XP PC which drives a big commercial printer which only has XP Driver
    >> support available.
    >> Will the 2 Windows 7 PCs be able to print on the Xerox printer via the
    >> networked XP PC?
    >> I have been advised that the Windows 7 PCs will have to have drivers for
    >> the printer installed to be able to print to the Xerox printer.

    > You have been advised correctly. However I'm *certain* that there will be
    > drivers available for the Xerox. Post back with its model number and
    > configuration (duplexer, trays, etc) and I'll track some down for you.

    Thanks very much for your response.
    The printer is a Xerox Docucolor 3535
    The support site implies/states that there is not even drivers for Vista.
    Nor does it clarify which is the correct driver for XP, or show how to
    install a driver on the page that is specifically described as showing how
    to install and remove drivers.
    Any help that you can provide will be very much appreciated.
    We want drivers for Windows 7 if possible, or failing that the download link
    and installation instructions for an XP driver.
    Thanks.

    KiwiBrian, Nov 14, 2009
  4. In message <hdlc8d$50m$>, KiwiBrian wrote:

    > The printer is a Xerox Docucolor 3535
    > The support site implies/states that there is not even drivers for Vista.

    Unfortunately, every dollar the hardware vendors spend on developing drivers
    is one less dollar of profit on the product. That’s why they can’t be
    bothered updating drivers for older products to work with newer OS versions;
    they’d rather you buy a new product.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 14, 2009
  5. KiwiBrian

    EMB Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:

    > Thanks very much for your response.
    > The printer is a Xerox Docucolor 3535
    > The support site implies/states that there is not even drivers for Vista.

    There are Vista drivers at:

    http://www.support.xerox.com/go/res...ntry=USA&prodID=DC_3535&ripId=&Xtype=download

    > Nor does it clarify which is the correct driver for XP, or show how to
    > install a driver on the page that is specifically described as showing
    > how to install and remove drivers.

    There are also XP drivers at the above link.

    > Any help that you can provide will be very much appreciated.
    > We want drivers for Windows 7 if possible, or failing that the download
    > link and installation instructions for an XP driver.
    > Thanks.

    You'll have to use the Postscript drivers on both the XP and Vista
    machines - no PCL drivers are available for Vista.

    Otherwise the HP Colour Laserjet 5M driver should make it work without
    too many bells and whistles (it's a fairly generic colour PS driver), or
    with a bit of playing the HP Universal Print Driver (which IMO is the
    work of Satan) will probably support almost all the features if you're
    willing to experiment a bit.

    The HP UPD is available at http://tinyurl.com/kiwibrian

    I would strongly suggest you network the printer and address it directly
    from each machine rather than via the XP machine.

    EMB, Nov 14, 2009
  6. KiwiBrian

    Richard Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:
    > A local network consists of a Windows 7 Laptop, a Windows 7 Desktop, and
    > a XP PC which drives a big commercial printer which only has XP Driver
    > support available.
    > Will the 2 Windows 7 PCs be able to print on the Xerox printer via the
    > networked XP PC?
    > I have been advised that the Windows 7 PCs will have to have drivers for
    > the printer installed to be able to print to the Xerox printer.
    > TIA

    Thats usually right, but I have my old HP designjet working by running
    its RIP software in a XP machine, it watches for postscript files in a
    folder appearing and then will offer to process them and print.

    I found a way to make a printer print into a folder online, and just
    used a postscript printer driver that came with 7 to print with. Works
    fine, as it outputs to the folder that I have shared on the XP machine
    (well once I sorted out the abortion that is share permissions with XP
    home to allow write access to it)

    If everything runs in the driver rather than a standalone application
    then you will be out of luck this way.

    Richard, Nov 14, 2009
  7. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    Thanks for your help EMB.
    You have provided considerable clarification.

    KiwiBrian, Nov 14, 2009