    printer THROUGH that?

    Thanks

    Jeremy Poynton

    Jeremy Poynton, Mar 22, 2009

  2. Jeremy Poynton

    Alister Guest

    Jeremy Poynton wrote:
    > The ergonomics of our house means that the printer we wish to use as a
    > network printer can't connect wirelessly to the router. And I'm minded to
    > think that printing and scanning wirelessly may not be as reliable as one
    > might like.
    >
    > So. The printer is near my PC, up a floor and over from the router. I'm
    > hard-wired, but don't want another lengthy ethernet cable tacked by the
    > existing one.
    >
    > Is it possible, therefore, to install a second NIC in my PC, and network the
    > printer THROUGH that?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jeremy Poynton

    Much the simpler solution would be to buy a cheap 4 port switch and bung
    that on the end of your existing Ethernet, then have a couple of patch
    leads to your Printer and PC.

    Alister.

    Alister, Mar 22, 2009

  3. "Alister" wrote:

    > Jeremy Poynton wrote:
    > > The ergonomics of our house means that the printer we wish to use as a
    > > network printer can't connect wirelessly to the router. And I'm minded to
    > > think that printing and scanning wirelessly may not be as reliable as one
    > > might like.
    > >
    > > So. The printer is near my PC, up a floor and over from the router. I'm
    > > hard-wired, but don't want another lengthy ethernet cable tacked by the
    > > existing one.
    > >
    > > Is it possible, therefore, to install a second NIC in my PC, and network the
    > > printer THROUGH that?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Jeremy Poynton

    > Much the simpler solution would be to buy a cheap 4 port switch and bung
    > that on the end of your existing Ethernet, then have a couple of patch
    > leads to your Printer and PC.
    >
    > Alister.

    That so? Cool. Does the router need (re)configuring for this?

    Thanks

    Jeremy

    Jeremy Poynton, Mar 22, 2009
  4. "Alister" wrote:

    > Jeremy Poynton wrote:
    > > The ergonomics of our house means that the printer we wish to use as a
    > > network printer can't connect wirelessly to the router. And I'm minded to
    > > think that printing and scanning wirelessly may not be as reliable as one
    > > might like.
    > >
    > > So. The printer is near my PC, up a floor and over from the router. I'm
    > > hard-wired, but don't want another lengthy ethernet cable tacked by the
    > > existing one.
    > >
    > > Is it possible, therefore, to install a second NIC in my PC, and network the
    > > printer THROUGH that?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Jeremy Poynton

    > Much the simpler solution would be to buy a cheap 4 port switch and bung
    > that on the end of your existing Ethernet, then have a couple of patch
    > leads to your Printer and PC.
    >
    > Alister.

    Is that another router then? Sorry if that's a dumb question? Or just an
    old-fashioned switch? Any suggestions if the latter?

    Jeremy Poynton, Mar 22, 2009
  5. Jeremy Poynton

    Lem Guest

    Jeremy Poynton wrote:

    > "Alister" wrote:
    >
    >> Jeremy Poynton wrote:
    >>> The ergonomics of our house means that the printer we wish to use as a
    >>> network printer can't connect wirelessly to the router. And I'm minded to
    >>> think that printing and scanning wirelessly may not be as reliable as one
    >>> might like.
    >>>
    >>> So. The printer is near my PC, up a floor and over from the router. I'm
    >>> hard-wired, but don't want another lengthy ethernet cable tacked by the
    >>> existing one.
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible, therefore, to install a second NIC in my PC, and network the
    >>> printer THROUGH that?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Jeremy Poynton

    >> Much the simpler solution would be to buy a cheap 4 port switch and bung
    >> that on the end of your existing Ethernet, then have a couple of patch
    >> leads to your Printer and PC.
    >>
    >> Alister.
    >>

    > Is that another router then? Sorry if that's a dumb question? Or just an
    > old-fashioned switch? Any suggestions if the latter?

    1. It's a simple switch. Newegg has a bunch for under $25.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2002810030 4093&name=$10 - $25
    If you happen to have an old router around, you can easily use that as a
    switch (because home routers are really 2 or 3 devices in one box:
    router, switch, and wireless AP). If you have an old router and want to
    use it as a switch, post back for details.

    2. No changes have to be made to your existing router.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Mar 22, 2009