    in and find two different version of the file and niether of them work.
    Trying to install the 32xp version of HP LaserJet 4M Plus printer driver.
    Thanks.
    =?Utf-8?B?VE1pbGxlcg==?=, Feb 5, 2006

  2. follow the steps in my blog, only in this case you're adding a 32-bit
    driver. You'll need the 32-bit Server 2k3 CD, of course, to get the drivers
    from. http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/08/05/61685.aspx

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 5, 2006

  3. No I see my mistake, the "32bit" version. I would think that MS would be
    smart enough to have the necessary 32bit files already in place either as
    part of the install or on the 64bit cd. I happen to have these disks, but
    what if I didn't? Thanks for the help.

    =?Utf-8?B?VE1pbGxlcg==?=, Feb 5, 2006
  4. This has always been the way it is, I'm afraid. They don't make it
    particularly easy to add drivers for other architectures, and you've always
    had to have the appropriate disks available.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 6, 2006
  5. I think you are missing my point. I have the 32 driver on a disk. When I
    Add Driver, it process the files from the disk and then asks me for the x86
    version of NTPRINTER.inf. I think the the NTPRINTER.inf should be installed
    by default on the 64 version of 2003 assuming that I will want both 32 and 64
    bit printer drivers installed. I agree with you completely that it is up to
    me to actually supply the 32bit driver for a specific printer.

    =?Utf-8?B?VE1pbGxlcg==?=, Feb 6, 2006
  6. I didn't miss your point. No, it does not, nor has it ever had,
    ntprinter.inf for any architecture other than its own. That has always been
    the case for NT/2000/2003. It used to happen with MIPS architecture servers,
    then Alphas, then Itanium, and now x64 back to x86. They are different
    architectures. They aren't all on the CD. Should they be? Well, I suppose
    one could ask for it, but ultimately I'm not at all suprised they aren't.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 6, 2006
  7. So you need the entire OS to install a printer driver? All you need it the
    printer subsystem for each version. How many "Windows" files are referenced
    by a printer driver? 10, 15, 20? It isn't like they even need to be able to
    use that driver, just install and manage it and pass it on to the appropiate
    client.

    I guess this really isn't much of a "feature" as a sales tool to make you
    buy a server product you don't really need so you can install drivers for
    multiple platforms.

    =?Utf-8?B?VE1pbGxlcg==?=, Feb 6, 2006
  8. Actually, it has more to do with what's on the CD and the overall size of CD
    images, and not creating confusion about which one to use where, I suspect.
    And in the vast majority of enterprise environments, you wouldn't have an
    issue at all, since they are generally on volume licensing anyway, and have
    access to the media one way or another. Or you can use eval versions, which
    are downloadable, or TechNet/MSDN versions, etc. It isn't fussy about where
    they come from.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 6, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?VE1pbGxlcg==?=

    Amrit Kohli Guest

    Hey guys,

    Well, my problem is that I have Vista 64-bit installed and I need the
    NTPRINT.INF file from Vista 32-bit to install my 32-bit driver for a shared
    printer. I have both the 32-bit and 64-bit Vista discs, but for whatever
    reason, neither of them have the NTPRINT.INF file available to me. I
    searched for the file on the disc and I searched the contents of the files on
    the disc, and nothing turned up. I think Microsoft has hidden most of the
    files used by the OS on the DVD for Vista. There isn't an i386 subdirectory,
    like there are on the previous version of Windows.

    So, my question remains...how do I get a copy of the NTPRINT.INF file for
    Windows Vista 32-bit?

    Thanks,

    Amrit Kohli

    Amrit Kohli, Nov 26, 2007
  10. The files are not flat on the DVD. You can only get the 32bit ntprint.inf
    from a machine that has the 32bit OS installed.

    \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Nov 26, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?VE1pbGxlcg==?=

    Amrit Kohli Guest

    Alan,

    Thanks for your response.

    I think it's really silly that you can't get the ntprint.inf files from the
    installation disc of the 32-bit operating system. Why did Microsoft decide
    to do that? I own both the 64-bit and 32-bit installation disc, so I should
    be able to access the drivers I need.

    I was able to resolve my issue, however, because as it turns out, my laptop
    with 32-bit Vista arrived today and that worked out. It just seems really
    silly to not have another way to do this.

    Amrit

    Amrit Kohli, Nov 27, 2007
  12. Yes I totally agree. Our Program Management team are working on this along
    other channels. The print team got shot down on this one.

    Now that you have the fileset installed, copy them to a file share
    someplace.

    You need ntprint as well as all the prn??? directories.

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Nov 27, 2007
  13. =?Utf-8?B?VE1pbGxlcg==?=

    Amrit Kohli Guest

    Alan,

    Glad to hear someone out there is listening and advocating for common sense.

    Well, I did copy all the entire ntprint.*** directory along with the inf
    file and it installed the additional x86 drivers on my 64-bit box. However,
    when I go to add that printer on the 32-bit Vista box, it errors out when it
    attempts to aquire the drivers from the 64-bit box. I'm not at the computer
    at this moment, so when I get home tonight, I'll write again and respond with
    the details of the error. Maybe you can help me figure that out.

    Thanks for your response and help.

    Amrit

    Amrit Kohli, Nov 27, 2007
  14. If the x64 driver ships in Vista there should not be a need to add the 32bit
    driver since the Vista client will install the driver from the local 32bit
    driver store.

    If the driver does not ship in Vista, the driver name for the x64 driver
    must exactly match the driver name used for the 32bit driver. If they do
    not match, you cannot make an RPC connection to the printer share. You
    would have to fall back to an SMB connection using \\server\share as the
    Local Port name.

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Nov 27, 2007